Comparison between these two flavors of RC

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats eats royal canin's hairball care. I ordered it online but i got delivered "hair and skin". I just wanted to know if I make my cat eat it, would she have an upset stomach? Because the kibble shape is different. Idk about the taste. I do have her previous leftover food for transition but it is just about to end. Only like a quarter is left

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you compared the ingredients in each to see if there is any difference? I looked them up and here are the ingredients for each:
Hair & Skin -
Chicken meal, chicken fat, wheat gluten, brewers rice, natural flavors, corn, corn gluten meal, wheat, rice hulls, pea fiber, vegetable oil, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, calcium sulfate, sodium pyrophosphate, potassium chloride, salt, DL-methionine, vitamins[DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, taurine, L-cystine, trace minerals[zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], L-tyrosine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.
Hairball Care -
Chicken meal, corn, brewers rice, rice hulls, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, natural flavors, wheat, wheat gluten, pea fiber, dried plain beet pulp, grain distillers dried yeast, vegetable oil, calcium sulfate, fish oil, psyllium seed husk, potassium chloride, sodium pyrophosphate, fructooligosaccharides, salt, DL-methionine, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], monocalcium phosphate, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], taurine, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

It looks like it is pretty much the same ingredients, only the order is different, which the order equates to quantity of each ingredient. So, that means, for example, there is more chicken fat in the 'hair & skin' version than in the 'hairball' version, and less corn in the former as opposed to the latter, and so on.

Nonetheless, if you want to be cautious, you should be able to transition from one to another with a quarter (of a bag) left of the old by mixing them but starting out giving more of the old with a little bit of the new and continue decreasing the old and increasing the new.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe you could reach out to Royal Canin directly to see if they can advise what the nutritional differences are between the 2 foods..

If you're in the US, Royal Canin's American website has a link to contact a Nutritional Advisor.
https://my.royalcanin.com/contactus/nutritional-services

And the Canadian Royal Canin website has a Chat Live option, on their Contact Us | Royal Canin page.
They also have a web form: https://contact.royalcanin.ca/?_ga=2.263395916.1791843562.1669392690-1777646795.1669392687

As well as a phone number, which is actually a little hard to find, so here's a screenshot.
1669393054255.png