Comparable z/d food?

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Haze, is currently eating 1 1/2 cans of science diet z/d due to 3 bouts of vomiting. Long story short, he has been on it for 7 weeks and the vet wants me to at least keep him on it 9-12 weeks, if not forever. I can't afford it! $60 for a case and google searches aren't much less at Chewys, etc. It's $4.50 a day to feed him this prescription food. I've researched starting him on the instinct limited ingredient canned food. Vet and I were trying to nail down an allergy so I thought introducing a limited ingredient food would be smart. But vet still wants him to stay on zd.

Is there a comparable, non-prescription food out there that is similar to zd that I can suggest to my vet? We still don't know what caused the vomiting and he was eating same food before that since I had gotten him-about two months with no problems. He also doesn't do well with the nutro natural choice grain free. I'm really nervous to go rogue on my vets recommendation because those three trips to vet with the vomiting cost almost $800. But I also don't want to become a part of the vets prescription food program to make money. And I really do respect my vet. Just can't afford it and really hate the science diet ingredients.

Any suggestions?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I can totally relate to the situation you are in. To answer your question, no, there isn't a food comparable to the z/d that is non-prescription.

With that said, you could certainly give the Instinct a try (my cats with known food allergies have done well on this food.)

What proteins were in the food he was eating? I'd probably start with the duck or maybe lamb (I'd suggest rabbit, but the LID only comes in dry.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only other suggestion I can make other than the limited ingredient would be to check out the OTHER brands of prescription foods just to see if any others are less expensive.  Purina makes them, as well as Royal Canin.  Your Vet can prescribe for ANY of them, and then you can fill them via the internet, which would probably be the cheapest way to get them filled because most places will ship for free over $49.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's also a new one called Rayne.

Natural Balance makes a line of Limited Ingredient Diets, if you want to go the pet supply store route. They're very simple and easy on the digestion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What proteins were in the food he was eating? I'd probably start with the duck or maybe lamb (I'd suggest rabbit, but the LID only comes in dry.)
Shamefully I admit he was previously eating science diet kitten canned food-chicken with a spoonful of dry. After being added to this site, I realizethatwas bad food. I thought I would try the Instinct Duck but wasn't sureif that was too close to chicken. Maybe start with lamb?

I originally tried royal canine hydro liked but it was more expensive. I didn't realize purine made aprescription diet food.

I will also look into Natural Balance.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
My cat with a *severe* chicken allergy (no chicken/chicken products/chicken fat or vaccine made using chicken eggs...FVRCP) CAN eat turkey and duck. So, I wouldn't necessarily rule out duck. Simba is also intolerant of venison.

Max is allergic to beef and rabbit...I have yet to try him on lamb, but he does fine with Venison.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had a cat who would ALWAYS throw up pork or beef, no matter what...And a room mate who took way too long to realise that.