Companion Cat To A Stud?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are your experiences about a friend and companion to a stud?
Whom to try and pick up, if we can choose?

Lets say, the stud is a friendly family cat, and lets suppose he is normally friendly to other cats.

I presume the safest combo would be a neutered male cat, whom isnt not competing for primacy accepting he is second in the hierarchy.

I know some examples where the seemingly worst combo; = another fertile male - even a stud, were OK companions.
A breeder I talked with had 3 studs together and they were friends... Even when one got a visiting lady... Although I suspect its not the most common.

What about a spayed female?

And nay, its not supposed he has somebody to exercise upon without consequences. The idea is he has a pal and friend to play with, have company, to chase, wrestle, wash and sleep nearby...

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A breeder friend of mine has a spayed female as a companion for the stud. She hangs out in the stud quarters with him and they climb the cat tree together, chase each other, and groom each other. Probably a neutered make would be a good companion too.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stud has 2 girls (spayed) to keep him company. He doesn't get along with my neutered boys (former studs). It is mutual dislike between them. I have no scientific basis for this, but I would not advise putting a stud and a retired former breeding male who has been neutered together. I think there would be aggression between the 2.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ - I agree with abyeb abyeb and posiepurrs posiepurrs - most of the breeders I know do, indeed, have spayed females as companion cats for their studs. It seems to alleviate "pecking order" problems, and promotes harmony for all concerned.

Neutered males are less common as companions for studs, but they're certainly the next best choice, presuming they genuinely get along with one another. Since you're a Russian Blue breeder, you might ask Hilde Kræmer Moe in Oslo, as I believe that she once had studs with neutered males as companion cats. Her contact information is here, on the Norway R.B. Club's website:

Solgte kull