"Commuting" with 2 cats

CarmVald

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 indoor cats (aged approx 10 and 7). When I have to travel (usually 2 weeks tops), I always have a friend come in to check up on the cats. But now my mother who lives 6 hours away needs 24-hour care. It looks as if I'm going to have to be with my mother for stretches of 2-3 weeks at a time and then going home for 2-3 weeks, and so on.
My cat question is should I start "commuting" with my cats or just leave them at home? Tasha, the older cat, is very chill. Georgie, however, is much more of a scaredy cat. I am her person and she follows me everywhere and usually has me in sight. Both of them miss me and get depressed when I'm gone but haven't stopped eating or drinking. When I return, they don't leave me alone for 3-4 days - on my lap, on my shoulder, at my feet, rubbing my ankles...
I don't want this to be too stressful for them (or me since I really miss them) and I have no idea what would be best for them: to leave them in their familiar environment but alone OR bring them with me but subject them to a 6 hour drive.
And no, I can't move permanently to my mother's house at least for now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think given their age, that leaving them at home with someone checking in on them regularly is better.

Would they respond to a Skype or zoom session?

Bless your heart for being there for your mom ❤❤

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree leaving them home will make them much happier than being carted around every few weeks. It is one thing if the cats were acclimated to travel when kittens but for older cats leaving the safety of their territory can wind up causing more troubles than it's worth.

As long as you have a trusted person to take care of them (and, this also means spending time with them socially - they do need this) it's best to keep them home.

Best to your mom!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats do seem to attach to places very strongly so I would try the sitter first. If you were to travel with them you would have to be extremely cautious with your mom's house as it and its territory is unfamiliar and the last thing you would need would be an escaped cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmVald

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I'll see how they are when I get back after these 3 weeks and see them and talk to their sitter.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree with all the above members. Having cared for both my parents who were elderly and ill I understand the enormous pressure this puts on you. Another reason why you may want to leave them at home is because should your mother need medical care whether at the doctor, hospital or for therapy/rehab this would still limit your time with the cats. You have a lot on your plate right now so knowing your cats are in their home even though the pet sitter cannot replace you it provides a safe place and security for them. Best of luck and please let us know how they are when you return home. 🤗

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about you wear a T-shirt for several days. Pack it in a plastic bag, pack it in a mailing envelope and send it to your cat sitter. They can put it out for your cats, to reassure them that there is a beloved welcome scent here at home.

karenburton1305

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh gosh what a trial!! Hope you've managed to find some kind of solution - think leaving them behind will be best for you mentally anyway as it's one less thing for you to worry about!