Commercial Wet Kitten Food UK

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I'm a bit confused over the wet v dry food debacle and then about GOOD quality brands of either that are available in the uk for a decent price that isn't going to break the bank. Currently Lilly gets pets at home Advanced nutrition kitten kibble in either chicken or salmon and wiskas or felix wet food in 100g pouches she normally has 1-2 pouches a day and about 60-100g or kibble which lasts all day. The wet is wolfed down though the kibble she seems to just snack on. What do people think?

Thanks so much

Lilly and StephieDoodle

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a look at this site http://www.catinfo.org/ written by a vet about feline nutrition and some of the related health issues. What she writes makes a lot of sense to me. She also has a comparison chart of foods commonly available in the US. I'm not sure how many of those are available in the UK. We do many UK members on this site, so hopefully they will chime in with some recommendations.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the links to several different health problems 
Well, yes cats can get health problems due to poor diet just like humans can. Sometimes a great diet still won't prevent some from getting sick, just like humans can. All we can do is look at the best research we have and go from there.

The link vball91 provided is a good one for understanding nutrition for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has a diet of kibble to snack on which is available all day and they 1-2 pouches of felix wet food in jelly. The kibble has a min of 40% of chicken meat in it (this being that its the chicken kibble it also comes in salmon, and the wet food has about 4% of meat in it and then meat by products. Wondering if this is acceptable diet for her if I should maybe switch a few things up.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We decided to switch lil to whiskas kitten food in gravy instead of the felix in jelly as I thought the gravy might be a better source of fluid. Also upping how many pouches she has a day along with her snacking kibble which is available all day.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whiskas l don't like because there's a lot of animal parts in them, plus they make their stools smell.

If you go on the Zooplus website there's lots to choose from there. I buy all their wet food, kibbles, litter from them and it's delivered to your door.

I use Bozita chunks because it's a high % of meat and fish in them

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never had a problem with smelly stools with my girl on this and to be fair Ihave looked all over good value for money wise on bulk buying out kittys chow as we bulk buy a lot of our groceries pet food and I have been dicussing the diet benefits with my brother and his partner who keep a range of animals including cats and are very strict on what is given and as he has said as long as she is pooping and urinating fine and showing no outward signs that her diet is affecting her health then I shouldn't worry.for years now my brothers cats have been on a dry only diet with none of signs of any of the illness associated with dry food and as a plus we of all this ifo and what I have researched we decided to keep her dry food at a constant bbut offer more wet as in her self she seems to prefer this to the kibble

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bozita is Swedish but it's not expensive.

Everyone is different, but those are my reasons for not buying Whiskas or Felix. 

I buy James Wellbeloved kibbles because there's no grain in it which can cause upset stomachs in cats.   Jack has a sensitive stomach, and this has helped him enormously, along with the Bozita wet food for sensitive stomachs

Some here don't agree with kibbles, but my three have had no problems with their teeth and the eldest is now 11 years old.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the help the whiskas works for us as Lilly loves it and kibble we buy agrees with lilly great as its high in the animal protein.