Commercial Raw. Question

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I have a 11 week old kitten and would like to switch soon to a raw diet. Commercial one.. My question is some have just meat and or meat and fat, while others add bone in the ingredients. How can I tell if it's enough or too much bone. If the Raw does not include Bone do I need to add a supplement?

The 3 Brands that I have access to are Bold By Nature, Carnivora pure and simple and Nature's Logic..

Thank you all.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats should eat raw bone (NOT cooked). I have heard of people substituting eggshells if they are unable to give their cats bone.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Watch the litterbox, if your kitten shows any signs of constipation, or produces particularly hard or white stools, then that indicates there is too much bone in their diet. As mentioned above, premades that use eggshells rather than bones for a source of calcium can also be used.

Also watch out for preservatives 220 and 223, which have been found to cause seizures and neurological issues.

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I have a 11 week old kitten and would like to switch soon to a raw diet. Commercial one.. My question is some have just meat and or meat and fat, while others add bone in the ingredients. How can I tell if it's enough or too much bone. If the Raw does not include Bone do I need to add a supplement?

The 3 Brands that I have access to are Bold By Nature, Carnivora pure and simple and Nature's Logic..

Thank you all.
If the food has an AAFCO statement it’s balanced and needs no extra supplementation. There are boneless raw foods, for some that the only commercial raw they will feed, for others with cats with CKD or who are predisposed will only feed boneless. Unfortunately most cat food brands follow a ratio base, the most common is 8% muscle meat 10% liver and or other secreting organ, and 10% bone. That bone percentage tends to be pretty high usually it’s recommended anywhere from 5-7% I believe. Higher bone percentage isn’t tolerated by some cats which results in hard white stool and or constipation.