Coming Out On The Other Side

darren7481

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an old pic, Morty is now all grown up:)
When I lost my Siddy cat, my heart broke into a million pieces & I never thought I'd live through the pain of the empty spot behind my knees at night & the silence where his yowls & 'murphs' & purrs had always been.

I had moved to AZ from my life-long home in GA w/my ex & nothing was real to me, I was so young- I left my cats w/my parents (who spoiled them rotten), but my life is never complete w/o a cat or two. So after about a year, once we'd established ourselves & he'd gotten tired of me being so weepy w/o my kitties, he took me on a surprise trip to this little ranch out in the desert. The woman there had dogs, horses, pigs, sheep.....& a box full of Siamese kittens!

So, for $25 (a lot for us back then) my ex told me to 'pick one':) I'd already picked Sid the moment I saw him!

The woman said 'Oh no! You don't want THAT one! He'll run away as soon as you blink. He's horrible & mean & from the last litter, it's why he's so much bigger than the other kittens. Why don't you take THIS one?'

But it was too late. Love at first sight!

I rode home with my Sid in the back of our VW Bus, he was tucked into the wheel well for spare tires. When we got home he was wild & scared & had only ever been fed raw beef! Raw beef & now thrown into the home of vegetarians!

We built a little fort for him w/our dumpster-dive recliners & coaxed him out w/canned people tuna after a week. Once Siddartha came out of his recliner fort, he was my cat & I was his person. He loved me more than anything & I loved him so much more than that...

13 years passed...

I lost my human best friend. Sid was there. I left my ex in my little red VW Beetle. Sid was there. We made a new home for ourselves & adopted Mortimer the blue-point cat from my friend's ranch. Sid was there. My mother died. Sid was there. The economy tanked & I lost my fine art sculpture work. Sid was there. I went back to school. Sid was there.  I got a job at a great dental lab.

Sid. Was. There.

& then the unthinkable happened.

It was such a small thing, Siddy had a swelling on his cheek. No big deal, maybe an abscess, normal enough for a tom cat of his age. Maybe a tooth needing to be pulled, senior cats have these issues. So I took him to the vet I'd been using since he was a kitten. The vet's office had changed a bit in the past few years. Different owners. Fancier cars in the parking lot....

I never should have trusted them when they gave me this $80 fancy new drug, instead of the simple pink penicillin I asked for & had always given Sid over the years when he got ill.

Long story short:

It killed him. Crashed his kidneys & even if I could've afforded it, there wasn't a place here where I could've taken him for emergency dialysis.

I lost my best friend all over again.

I was adrift,

my life in AZ had always had Siddartha as an anchor. He was my one real true thing over all the years & changes. He was such a crucial part of the way I defined myself & my personal definition of what LOVE really is.

Mortimer meowed and cried for Sid everyday. I did too. Those first few months were awful beyond measure. I knew I had to do something, anything, to stop Mortimer's crying. To stop mine.

So I decided to bring a new kitty into our lives.

I knew I didn't want a kitten. I wanted an adult or senior cat that needed us as much as we needed him/her. I began looking for Siamese cats on rescue sites, ones that needed me the most.

I stopped feeling quite so awful the more I saw the faces of kitties that needed homes & could become part of my family.

& then I saw CASSIE.

Oh, Cassie! She was purrrrfect:) Another stripey Siamese the same age as Mortimer at 7 1/2yrs, doomed for euthanasia if she wasn't re-homed.

So what if she was 200 miles away? It was love at first sight all over again when I saw her one little low-resolution picture:)

My wonderful, heart-mending Cassie!

It was a nightmare bringing her home, she cried & yowled & did her best to break out of the kennel on the two hour drive back to my place....

I was feeling like maybe I'd made a bad decision in my grief, I'd already discovered that she was older, 10yrs, not almost 8yrs, she'd also experienced some abuse.

But then we got home!

I let Cassie out of the kennel on top of my bed. The very first thing she did was rub up against my hand & purr like a little freight train & steal my heart & mend it!

The rest is history & there's much more to our story, but this has gotten really long!!!!!!!!

The whole point of this story is that life does go on & there are amazing beautiful things awaiting you & lives you can save while saving your own heart too:)

SO GRIEVE WHEN YOU LOSE A LOVED ONE, BUT NEVER CLOSE YOUR HEART TO NEW LOVE!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You did exactly what I did after my dear boy Milo succumbed to cancer. My grief was so enormous and black, I didn't know how I could survive. Like you, I adopted a senior cat scheduled for euthanasia - it was the only way I could make sense of Milo's death which opened up a place for a cat in need. Polly was a joy in every way and I never regretted my decision.

I'm sorry about Sid. He sounds like a very special boy and it's horrible you lost him the way you did. Thank heavens Cassie is there to bring you happiness again. I've found that getting another cat after one dies in no way replaces or takes away from our late pet's place in our hearts. It just makes our hearts grow bigger.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for the loss of Sid, he sounds like a very special cat and a big part of your life. THANK YOU though for giving us on this site the thing we need the most in our life...... hope. I know I still go through some pretty dark days, sometimes it seems like the world is coming to an end and I still can't think of my little girl without crying sometimes, but time is helping to soften the edges and I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's been three years and I still haven't found THE ONE, but in the meantime I pay for the adoptions of several so much in need, and take care of my little cat family that surrounds our house. I'm so happy for youplease kiss Mortimer and Cassy for me, they have to know how lucky they are to have you in their lives, all the luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Isn't it amazing what opening ourselves to new love can do?  It fills the place in our hearts without ever taking away from the love that was.  I'm so sorry you had to lose Sid, but so thrilled that Cassie was saved, and in the saving, saved you in return.  This is not the only story like that, and they are all worth sharing.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting that your thread Coming Out On The Other Side is in the section called Crossing The Bridge. Usually we see crossing the bridge as a way to describe our animals passing and a place they go to and will be waiting. Yours brings a different though. A bridge we all have to cross after losing one. The one for our pets would be wide open and beautiful. I picture the one of grief that has a path made of sorrow leading up to a covered bridge. We have to enter there and what happens is our own personal journey. Each loss is so personal and different and yet the pain is the same no matter how young, old or sick our pet was. There is no way to really share our own personal strife for anyone else to truly comprehend. Everyone will pass through at their own pace. Some of us will simply camp out there and take up residence for a while. Your story meant more to me than  Thank you for sharing. I just couldn't get it into words then.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a heartwarming story.  Thank you for sharing with us.  Cassie is blessed to have you, as you are to have her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darren7481

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an old pic, Morty is now all grown up:)
Oh kudos to you for helping other kitties:) It's hard to balance what you'd really like to do....& then what you actually can do to help Kitties in need. I'm kinda pushing my boundaries here, brought my senior cat CASSIE into the home over a yr ago, but then Gertrude ran across my porch, a tiny stripey-Siamese kitten, all those feral dogs/owls/coyotes/cars? No way could I leave her out there. So now Gertie the stinker is part of the family too, we volunteered 2gthr for an awesome spay/1st shots/neuter event here in Tucson called CARE- right when I first got Gertie- Love my City for helping me care for my furrrrever friend:) This event spayed/neutered/provided 1st round of shots for 1000+ animals:) Yay!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Did you just get Gertrude? Thank heavens she chose your porch to run across. It's so great she has a home now.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wonderful story- it sounds like Cassie is you Heart Kitty.  I learned that a Heart Kitty comes into our lives(if we are lucky) to help fill the kitty-shape hole that is left behind when we lose our beloved furbabies.  So glad you found Cassie and Gertrude.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

It"s amazing how much our human hearts can grow, I lost Sid- then I loved Cassie & added a Gertrude kitten too!  So blessed.
One of the laws of soul physics is, "the more love you give away, the more love you have to give."  Another is, "if you give until it hurts, all of your hurts will be healed."