Comfort tips for very old cat?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again Amy.

I am posting on behalf of a friend, who is not a member here. She owns a 19 year old cat. Pinky is blind, deaf, and has some pretty bad arthritis at this point. Yet, he seems to hang on. Are there any special comfort measures to be taken for an really old kitty to make the last part of his life pleasant?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of the foam neck support pillows, but did not care for it. My 14 year old cat, Fred loves it. He had been switching places for his daytime naps, like he could not get comfortable, but he sleeps on his pillow most of the time now. He still cuddles with me at night. He seems to be moving around and playing a little more since he is sleeping better.

amy shojai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Deb,

We can take a hint from Fred who swiped the foam neck cushion, LOL! Yes, there are things you can do to help this lovely oldster be more comfortable.

They make orthopedic foam beds for cats (and dogs) but you can get the foam and make your own, too. A soft, warm place to sleep is one of the best things to offer such kitties. Place a lamp nearby for indirect warming. That also helps with the arthritis.

For these kitties who have trouble jumping or climbing to reach favorite perches, give them a little ramp to make it easier. If sitting on the windowsill is their favorite thing, it becomes a quality of life issue if they can't get there.

Since Pinky can't see or hear, I bet scent sense has become very important to her. Always wearing the same perfume will help the cat recognize her favorite human's approach and presence.

amy

kikim@chartertn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my baby will be 19 next month. Her favorite thing at this stage in her life is comfort... She LOVES to sleep on a feather pillow. I guess for the same reason it is so good for arthritic joints of people...it conforms to the body, and keeps pressure points off it. In winter, she usually sleeps atop the featherbed atop the electric blanket. Of course, I am under it, so she is not there alone!! I think quality of sleep is the most important thing to them. And the comfort of your presence and love.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My sweet oldest girl passed over the rainbow bridge last summer, but I am happy that I was able to help make her more comfortable for the last few years. The tips previously mentioned are wonderful, but I would like to add 2 more (these can be expensive, though). My vet used electroacupuncture (acupuncture without needles) for my girl to help make her feel better, and it sure did! She was normally terrified of the vet, but she would just relax and purr when he worked on her, and when she came home the first time she actually chased her tail (I hadn't seen her do that in years!). He also recommended Cosequin for her arthritis. It's a very safe, effective arthritis supplement. You can get it from your vet or find it on the Internet. I continued the Cosequin even when I couldn't afford the acupuncture, and it really made a difference for her. There's nothing like a contented purr from your sweet senior kitty to make your day!

amy shojai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kikim,

I won't argue about the "love" being a vital part of the equation for comfort. As for the feather pillow...that might double as a fun feline toy when they kick the stuffings out of it! I can just see feathers flying everywhere, and an innocent-looking kitty blinking amidst the mess...LOL!

Tuxedokitties has very good tips re: acupuncture and Cosequin. Cats are very good at hiding discomfort, and when they feel achy, they may just stop moving--or chasing their tail. Acupuncture is an extremely effective pain reliever that has no side effects. Prices vary in different parts of the country (about $50/session isn't unusual) and it may take a couple of sessions for the kitty to start feeling better--but it does work!

Cosequin is one of the few veterinary-tested products that contain the combination of chondroitin/glucosamine that is very helpful for joint health. It can slow down the progression of arthritis, and help the existing cartilage work better, and so ease discomfort. They also have antiinflammatory properties.

Of the generic forms, look for glucosamine HCL--they usually come in 500-mg doses, and cats need about 10 mg/pound of body weight, twice a day. That means a fifteen-pound cat would get about 1/3rd of a 500-mg capsule once each day. As hard as some cats are to pill, it's probably worth the extra cost to go with Cosequin, which is a bit more expensive and only available from the vet--it's more readily accepted by pets and is dosed properly.

Be aware that the glucosamine/chondroitin products won't work with all pets, but has great benefits for a certain percentage of cats and dogs.

amy

kikim@chartertn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Amy,
It would be a funny sight, seeing a baby with feathers flying everywhere!! But older cats don't tend to be so destructive. At least mine isn't. She sleeps on the second pillow in my bed every night, and gets around better because of it.

Mary