Combing a persian cat

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all i am new to this site, i have a 6 months old persian cat (boy) which i have since he was three months, i have been combing him everyday to prevent matt and knots, he used to be pretty tolerant to daily combing but as he is starting to get older he is getting more resistent. Now its getting worse and I am lucky if he would stay still for one minute before "attacking" the comb and biting my hands. As you all know long hair cats really do need daily combing and i am worry it will just get worse and worse and he wont let me comb him at all.

Anyone in the same shoe and any advice you can give me? Is this just a phase and will he eventually give up the fight? Thank you in advance!!!

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have a long haired cat as well. I don't know a lot about cat grooming, but with my own kitty, I trained him to expect a treat after brushing. This seems to help.

I always brush him in the same location. He gives me grumpy old man sighs but puts up with it, and then runs to his treat location. :) I also always start by brushing him on the top of his head which I know is something he enjoys before I brush other parts of him that he doesn't like as much.

It has also helped me to break up the brushing if he seems uncomfortable. So I'll do some of it, and if he seems squirmy, we'll finish the rest later. Sometimes it's just too much for him all at once.

I hope you find something that works well for your cat. And I'm sure others will be along with great tips. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! Its a great idea to brush the area he likes first! I always brush the part he hates the most first so I could get it out of the way.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh gosh same with my 3 month old persian; she used to love brushing, but since she hit her 3 month mark she started getting more resistant. I think I mightve failed with the treat-giving because I gave her some -during-. She naps on my desk though and I've sneaked in some brushing while she napped, which will wake her up. I do also start with the head and it seems that, when she's still groggy and half asleep, she does still enjoy the brushing and will even angle her head to the side or starts to purr. As soon as she sees something shiny though, she will want to leave. Both our babies are still just kittens after all. Going to try to only brush her in one spot to really make it an 'activity' as well. Hopefully she'll stop being stubborn and will allow herself to enjoy it again!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the treat reward - but give it in the same location as you groom. Please don't use a brush on a Persian - it will not reach all the way to the skin and you will end up with a felted coat. Use a comb, carefully so you don't yank out tangled hair. Also talk or sing softly to your cat while grooming - doesn't matter what you say, just the tone should be reassuring and loving. Both of the cats mentioned in the post are babies - they will push the limits just like a human toddler does. My babies are started with the grooming process (combing, face washing if needed and bathing weekly at 7 or 8 weeks. You may want to ask your breeder if you purchased the kitten for tips.

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like you got some good advice from posiepurrs. I also saw there is this thread specifically for grooming Persians: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/276365/persians-who-hate-to-be-groomed

Maybe that will help. I wouldn't want to recommend specific tools since I don't have a Persian, but I use a furminator (which gets the undercoat) and sometimes a flea comb. I don't know if those are good for Persians specifically though.

@kiki82 and @elfilou you should post a photo of your kitties. :)

This is my Phantom. He's an 11 year old domestic longhair (I'm guessing he has some Maine Coon ancestry in there somewhere):

Good luck!

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is my boy!! His name is oreo and he gives me so much joy and also headache when it comes to grooming!! Thank you all for all the tips!! I normally give him treats during the combing so he wouldnt run away, i will only give him at the end from now on. I only use metal comb, big one for all over and small one for neck and ears, he hates the big comb so much, his teeth would be out and the pure hatred its sorta funny....

I understand he is still a kitten and he is getting stronger (5.6lbs right now) so he is probably testing me...

Would love to see all your kitty's pictures!!! I am happy to have found this site!

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@elfilou- 3months! How adorable!! I miss when my boy was 3months old!! I hope both my boy and your girl will grow to love being combed!!!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How would you like to comb this? This is Jack at a show (lady holding him is a judge). Jack is quite easy to comb, except he doesn't like his tail combed.  He has been groomed almost from birth though so is used to it. If it makes you feel any better I have 2 that are demon cats when it comes to grooming. One girl is a pet that I kept here because I was afraid a pet owner couldn't handle her.

I love the photos! I have a soft spot for calicos and brown tabbies!

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, @posiepurrs, Jack is like a giant teddy bear! I love him. [emoji]128525[/emoji] And, wow, he is one big kitty! I'm sure he requires quite a bit of extra love and care.

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phantom, rascal and jack are all such cutie!!!!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @KiKi82

Has he been neutered yet?  I had 2 purebred pet quality persians about 20 years ago now.  They both loved their tails combed but I don't recall if they started being resistant at 6 months or not but that's when I had them neutered.  Neutered cats are more laid back. 

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Ginny, yes he was neutered when he was 5 months, he is very laid back and sweet, just when i start brushing he wont stay still and would "attack" the comb. I started brushing in 3 separate sections yesterday and it was better but I dont always have the time to do that each day with my job etc..

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Garfy soooo cute!! My Oreo loves people too and curious about everything!!! He is good with eye cleaning, he normally just stand still close his eyes and let me clean his face, he is good with ears cleaning too. Just the sight of the comb and he starts biting and swatting at the comb... I guess i cant ask for everything to be perfect :)
I do recall that Garfy would HATE to have his eyes cleaned. I'll post the pic that shows his eyes need cleaning.  At one time, I used a super-soft baby toothbrush to clean around his eyes.  He'd see it coming and try to bite it as if it was a toy.  Well, to him it was!

This is sweet Garfy.  He LOVED people and loved to see what anyone was doing.  Very curious and lovable kitty!

mumoffour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem. My boy was fine until he was about five months old. He hates it he meows and bites and runs away. I'm very gentle but still he hates it. I have three exotics. They are much easier but I'd love my boy to have a full long coat. I'd love some ideas too.

kiki82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mumoffour - i guess as they are growing up they start to test us... I am now only giving him treats when we finish combing session instead of giving to him throughout the section, i also try to break it into different times... It helps here and there but he still hates it ..