Columbus Day, In The U.s.

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by doomsdave, Oct 9, 2017.

1. orange&white

orange&white TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    October 12th is National Parents Coming Out Day, but I'm sure someone can delete that one for coffee. Pretty sure I will make the substitute. Every day is coffee day at my house. Save a bean, name it Juan Valdez Day...just make sure he wasn't a schmuck.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM
  2. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    No, it needs to be Juan Valdez and his burro day. Can't forget the burro.:)

3. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Columbus' "discovery" had gravely cataclysmic consequences for the people already in the Americas and nearby islands, whatever one chooses to call them. The Vikings were there before, well, what-ever. New North America Viking Voyage Discovered Apparently an Irish monk may have, too. Was an Irish monk the first European to reach America? Supposedly, some Chinese voyagers found their way to South America. Map Fuels Debate: Did Chinese Sail to New World First?

What set Columbus apart was that a deluge of people followed him, diseases, weapons, cuisines, and all.

4. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    The Seminoles are a fascinating, group, based on what little I know. No trail of tears for them. Maybe share some history? I'd be very interested to know.

5. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    I thought they celebrated MLK Day in AZ starting in 2K.

6. kashmir64

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    We actually were part of the Trail Of Tears. Some of them went west as the government 'requested' others stayed. That's why the Second Seminole War started. My ancestors stayed.

7. kashmir64

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Don't know why it posted instead of quoted on that last one.

We now have Civil Rights day. It's not MLK because of how they wanted to do it. For years, we didn't have either, but everyone was calling us racist for not having something, so government made a day.

8. orange&white

orange&white TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    They aren't great at solving real problems, but they do a good job "making days".

kashmir64 purraised this.
  9. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    Australia has a similar thing. We celebrate Australia Day on 26 January. It marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet from Britain, (a lot later that the US celebration). But it also marks the start of the slaughter of the Australian Indigenous people (and in Tasmania, their genocide).

I avoid it.. it usually involves a lot of meat-eating and drunkenness, neither of which is my thing.

Australians tend to be less patriotic than Americans, probably because our settlement is a lot younger and many white Australians were shipped out here as convicts. :)

10. kat0121

kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    Confederate Memorial Day - Wikipedia

11. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Okay, thanks for sharing, and correcting my misimpression.

12. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
  13. kashmir64

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Not a problem. Most people don't realize that is wasn't just the Cherokee that was on the Trail. There were many different tribes that were there. The white people were trying to remove the Indians so they could have the land. It didn't work too well, there are still Indians all over the east and southern coast.

14. kat0121

kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    I dressed Lilith up in blue and Sophie in gray for a re-enactment. They ganged up on the dog and she hid in her crate...

:help: :doh: :wink:

surya, doomsdave and kashmir64 purraised this.