Colostrum Question

RRMJCP1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If a momma cat is confirmed to have no milk after giving birth would she still have had colostrum for the kittens to receive when nursing?

They were with her for about 24 hours before she was hospitalized and they were moved to hand rearing. I'm just trying to see if it's possible that they got any of her maternal immunities.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can only absorb maternal antibodies during the first 12 - 24 hours of life. Did they nurse during the 24 hours they were with her, and then her milk dried up? Or did she have no milk from the beginning?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RRMJCP1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens can only absorb maternal antibodies during the first 12 - 24 hours of life. Did they nurse during the 24 hours they were with her, and then her milk dried up? Or did she have no milk from the beginning?
Very very likely no milk from the beginning but the babies certainly tried to nurse. She was extremely sick. Extremely sick. And almost didn't make it through the delivery process herself. She was small naturally, wasn't eating on her own, had Calicivirus and pneumonia and had 8 babies in her belly. She gave birth (4 living, 4 not) and all the babies were preemies (birth weight of the living were 52-60g).

She's been hospitalized since Tuesday with severe pneumonia that lead to heart failure. Only by the grace of God were they able to keep her alive (for multiple days they told me they didn't think she'd make it at all) and today was the first day they were able to pull her off oxygen! Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Mostly I'm just trying to figure out if the babies could gave gotten any help at all from moms antibodies against the Calici exposure they have gotten even though she had zero milk and was so sick. Heh. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess would be that mom cat had little to no colostrum since she was so sick.

It’s good to hear that mom has thus far pulled through. She should have been on antibiotics during her pregnancy if she was that sick. Is mom eating now and coming home soon? She may continue to need meds for awhile, and once strong enough, she needs to be spayed. However, in the meantime, she can cuddle with her kittens and lick them once she is well enough to come home.

How are the 4 surviving kittens doing? Are they eating well and gaining 6-10 grams or more per day? Are they being fed around the clock?