Colored or white Christmas lights?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's time for the big debate again, do you prefer colored or white Christmas lights? I prefer white lights. We have white lights both inside and outside.

My husband used to prefer colored, so when we first got married I would twist strands of clear and colored together so it had more of a pastel look.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the ones with color. Why am I sudenly reminded of an "Airplane" quote, "I like my coffee black, like my men"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

We are not decorating this year, but I prefer white lights, especially on the tree inside.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

We are not decorating this year, but I prefer white lights, especially on the tree inside.
Same here, one year we got grey'ish covers for the lights when we did all silver but that is about as much colour as I like to go for the tree

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love white lights too, I think they are classy and very pretty.

But I do have purple lights strung up around our bedroom. But that wasn't for christmas.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I love white lights too, I think they are classy and very pretty.

But I do have purple lights strung up around our bedroom. But that wasn't for christmas.
Bha chickka ba bow (hide your eyes children)

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like both, so I voted both, but I prefer colored ones on our tree. We do put both on our tree, but mostly colored. Just one small string of white lights.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

I love multi-colored lights. Maybe it's the kid in me.
Same here. My fave memory is taking my glasses off (I am very nearsighted and astigmatic) and watch the lights twinkle. (This was in the old days when the bulbs had to warm up first.
)

I don't have a tree but I have twinkly lights in my window. My only complaint is that there are no yellow bulbs.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't put up a tree, but I've been known to decorate a ficus.
I like colored lights. I really regret not getting a set of purple, gold, and green lights on sale at Walgreen's in New Orleans right after Mardi Gras a few years ago. I'll probably never find that color combination again.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I don't put up a tree, but I've been known to decorate a ficus.
I like colored lights. I really regret not getting a set of purple, gold, and green lights on sale at Walgreen's in New Orleans right after Mardi Gras a few years ago. I'll probably never find that color combination again.
I have never seen gold lights but I found purple ones around halloween time.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I like the ones with color. Why am I sudenly reminded of an "Airplane" quote, "I like my coffee black, like my men"

I like coloured too...grew up with coloured

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im all about the coloured. I see it like this, lights on houses are designed to make them look like real-life gingerbread houses, which imo are best decorated with lots of different candies, not only a single type. All white lights, or all solid of a single colour, are plain boring to me! That said, on a tree, I prefer all white lights, so the focus can be on all the wonderful ornaments!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the clear on our tree but we changed to coloured outside. We used to have all clear/white but with the new LED lights that have such lovely colour, we have switched to coloured lights outside.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for the color ones.

When the white lights first started getting popular, I liked them because it was different. Now, that's all you see. Houses with a zillion white lights across the street from a house with another zillion white lights, next door to a house with a zillion white lights. It's gotten boring.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tend to prefer the white ones on a tree. On the outside of the house, I think all white is fairly boring. If it's just a couple of strands on the front porch white is fine, but if the house is really decorated I think it needs to have some color.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In years past, there have been a number of Christmas light "fads." The white ones, especially the icicle style strings, have stuck around the longest. But for several years it was monochromatic blue and then it was red.

I've realized just lately I like the multi-colored light strings. It may have to do with a "Little Golden Book" I had when I was little, and can't find a copy of now.