Color question for breeders

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured this is the best place to ask this. Can a seal point queen have a solid orange male kitten? My understanding was that males get their coloring from mom. I understand that the color point gene is recessive so it’s not the fact that he’s not a colorpoint that has me confused. No clue what color dad is. The car is a rescue. She has three torties, a black kitten (m) and an orange kitten (m).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured this is the best place to ask this. Can a seal point queen have a solid orange male kitten? My understanding was that males get their coloring from mom. I understand that the color point gene is recessive so it’s not the fact that he’s not a colorpoint that has me confused. No clue what color dad is. The car is a rescue. She has three torties, a black kitten (m) and an orange kitten (m).
When people say "males get their coloring from mom," it's a bit misleading. Orange is sex-linked in cats. All other color genes (including the colorpoint gene) are autosomal and are inherited from both parents.

Colorpoint is recessive, so if dad didn't carry colorpoint, none of the kittens would be pointed. That's normal.

However, since orange is sex-linked (it's on the X chromosome), if mom is seal point, she couldn't have an orange male kitten. She is probably a tortie point with small red/cream patches you haven't noticed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When people say "males get their coloring from mom," it's a bit misleading. Orange is sex-linked in cats. All other color genes (including the colorpoint gene) are autosomal and are inherited from both parents.

Colorpoint is recessive, so if dad didn't carry colorpoint, none of the kittens would be pointed. That's normal.

However, since orange is sex-linked (it's on the X chromosome), if mom is seal point, she couldn't have an orange male kitten. She is probably a tortie point with small red/cream patches you haven't noticed.
I’ll have to ask her foster parent

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you post a picture of her paws and tail? That's where the tortie colors frequently show up if they're not obvious in the face.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of her paws and tail? That's where the tortie colors frequently show up if they're not obvious in the face.
I’ve asked and she has no orange.The situation is a mess and it’s entirely possible that the kitten was taken from another cat and added to her litter.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't have any orange on her, not even a cream toe or pink paw pad, I agree that it would be unlikely for the kitten to be hers. Does it appear to be the same age as the other kittens?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If she doesn't have any orange on her, not even a cream toe or pink paw pad, I agree that it would be unlikely for the kitten to be hers. Does it appear to be the same age as the other kittens?
:yeah:
On the other hand, one of my friends discovered her seal point cat had a very small cream-colored patch on one toe that was really hard to see. No other indication that she was a tortie.