Color Pointed Predictions

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has a Blue Bicolor Ragdoll female who is pregnant. The stud is a Solid White Ragdoll. The female's parents are (mother is Seal Point Mitted and the father is a Blue Bicolor) The stud's parents are (mother is Solid White and the father is a Blue Point non-mitted). What are the chances of my friend getting a Blue Point Mitted kitten or a Seal Point/Chocolate Mitted kitten? What would probably be the dominate colors? I truly appreciate your response!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what color the stud is under the white. And what color his mother is under the white (do you know the color of the other kittens in his litter?).

It sounds like both sides carry blue so that's a possibility, as for chocolate, no way to know if they carry that gene beforehand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe the white mother of the white stud is a blue lynx point, the father unknown. The dams mother is very dark seal point Mitted.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Ragdolls, with a solid white Sire, knowing neither whether the white is or isn't epistatic, nor the masked colour - if that's the case - it's only guessing. In a paper published by the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery three years ago, Les Lyons addressed some of the points brought forward by M. J. Montague's Comparative Analysis of
the Domestic Cat Genome, writing:

"...other alleles may be present as white spotting patterns in
the Ragdoll breed are difficult to predict, even though they seem similar to those found in other breeds. For example, the white ‘mittens’
of some Ragdolls is not controlled by the same DNA variants at the white 'gloves' in the Birman."

Just as with the mutation in the Growth Factor 5 gene and the MC1R gene in certain Norwegian Forest Cats, Ragdoll genetics are a world unto themselves, even down to separate Gloving genes (and their own FGF5 mutation). There's a very clear-cut (but extremely condensed) section on Ragdoll genetics here:

Gene C: Full colour

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Kieka , let's see if you can predict my litter color/patterns. My female, pictured on the avatar, she's a Blue Bicolor Ragdoll. Her mother was a Seal Point mitted. Her father was also a Blue Bicolor. She's pregnant by a Solid White TICA registered stud Ragdoll. His mother was Solid White as well, his father was Blue Colorpoint. She will be having 5 kittens in this litter. What will probably be the color variations? What are the chances of me getting a Blue "Colorpoint" Mitted kitten?

Last edited by a moderator:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TroyRag, it depends on the color of the sire of the litter "under" the dominant white. He could be a seal point, a blue point, a seal lynx or blue lynx point, or even some other color. You won't be able to tell his color simply by looking at his pedigree, because every generation behind a dominant white cat must have at least one dominant white individual in it, with unknown color under the dominant white. Unless he has been DNA tested or his dominant white parent or grandparent has been DNA tested, you can only guess about his color "under" the white.

You do know that he carries at least one copy of the recessive dilute (blue) gene, the recessive solid (non-agouti) gene, and the recessive colorpoint gene, because he got one of each of these genes from his mother. So you know that he is capable of producing blue point kittens.

But he might also have a copy of the dominant non-colorpoint gene, which would mean he could produce solid, non-colorpoint kittens. He might also have one copy of the dominant tabby (agouti) gene, which would mean he could produce lynx point or tabby kittens. He might have a copy of the dominant non-dilute (non-blue) gene, which would mean he could produce seal point or solid black kittens.

In previous litters, has he ever produced a seal point kitten with a blue point mother? If so, he is a seal point or black. Has he ever produced a lynx point kitten with a solid point mother? If so, he is a lynx point or tabby. Has he ever produced a non-pointed kitten with a pointed mother? If so, he is a solid.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This will be a first litter for both of them. The sire came out solid white like his mother but his father was a blue colorpoint. I just wish to obtain a blue point mitted from this litter. I will keep that one. Like I stated, the dam's (blue bicolor's) mother was a very dark, a seal point mitted, almost mink. It's true, blue appears will be dominate but I was also told that the solid white gene in Ragdolls is a dominant gene. It would also be cool to get a lynx point mitted as well. The sire's solid white mother's parent was a blue lynx point but not mitted. Thanks for the information!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, solid white is dominant over everything else, so the sire can theoretically be hiding any color under the white. We know that he has only one copy of the dominant white gene because he only had one white parent. So, you can expect about half of his offspring to be white like him.

Dilute (blue) is recessive. So, the dam's seal point mother doesn't matter. We know the dam is homozygous for dilute (blue) because she is blue.

We know that the combination CAN produce blue point mitted or bicolor kittens, because we know for sure that mom is homozygous for dilute (blue), homozygous for colorpoint, and has at least one copy of the white spotting gene, and we know for sure that the sire has at least one copy of dilute (blue) and colorpoint.

We DON'T know if the combination can produce seal point or lynx point; that depends on the sire's genotype under the dominant white.

Last edited:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information! Very interesting!