Color Coded Cat Poop For Multi-cat Homes? Why Yes - You Can.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not seen this anywhere else on the forum so I wanted to post this for anyone else who might need it.

I recently ran into a problem where one of the cats was a bit constipated. I felt the bellies etc and they all seemed fine. It was a frustrating puzzle.

One of the kitties went for their regular check-up and I expressed my annoyance about not being able to tell who is the one with the issue. I joked about how nice it would be to color-code their poop and to my surprise - you can!

Crayola Crayons. Not kidding. The vet let me know they are non-toxic (regular Crayola crayons not cheap dollar store of fancy smelling crayons etc). You grate it / shave it (use a vegetable peeler) and add it to the food for a few days.

Each cat was given a color and was only allowed to eat from their designated plate - and low and behold - we have our constipated kitty ID'd!

Needless to say - don't use red or another color associated with illness or you will freak yourself out.

P.S. This can also be used to ID other poop issues to and which kitty is having the issue.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wondered if you could do that. I know red velvet cake would always ID me (one reason I don’t eat it—too alarming if I forget.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wondered if you could do that. I know red velvet cake would always ID me (one reason I don’t eat it—too alarming if I forget.)
LOL yup and beets. OMG beets. If you happen to forget you ate them it looks like you're bleeding to death.

So no red crayons for kitties!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't crayola crayons made out of paraffin wax? I always thought paraffin is toxic to cats.... same reason it's not good to have wax candles around cats.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL yup and beets. OMG beets. If you happen to forget you ate them it looks like you're bleeding to death.

So no red crayons for kitties!
Yes I was caught out by beetroot too. The total panic lasted 10 full minutes. That's how long it took my friend (did I just say friend) to stop laughing before she could explain.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't crayola crayons made out of paraffin wax? I always thought paraffin is toxic to cats.... same reason it's not good to have wax candles around cats.
I thought so too but Vet says Crayola is not toxic as the wax is not digested and the remainder is simply food coloring. It comes out of the poop in the compressed shaved form.

One of the reasons they say paraffin wax is toxic is due to the scents often placed in candles. That's why I said no dollar store ones or scented funky crayons.

Plain - old fashioned Crayola.

Burning candles is what is / can be bad as it produces poor air quality / toxic air - which is why Asthmatic animals should never be exposed. Also the wicks - we don't want the kitties eating partially burned wicks. No good.

Yes I was caught out by beetroot too. The total panic lasted 10 full minutes. That's how long it took my friend (did I just say friend) to stop laughing before she could explain.
LMAO That was a good friend - otherwise they'd not have lived very long! XOXO

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another idea I heard was colored rubber bands cut into very small pieces.
I can ask the vet as while it sounds plausible in theory. Elastic bands might digest different and encourage badness?

Personally I might steer clear of that though as I wouldn't want to encourage them to eat elastic bands. You know what kitties are like!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the idea is that if you cut them into little bits, the cat won't even know they're in the food. And rubber won't digest at all, the bits will just pass right through.

We definitely don't want to encourage kitties to eat full rubber bands! They can tangle up inside and cause blockages and ripping in the intestines. But little tiny rubber band bits should be about the same as crayon shavings.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what about normal food dye ? if beetroot comes out red, then green, blue , yellow food dye ?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the idea is that if you cut them into little bits, the cat won't even know they're in the food. And rubber won't digest at all, the bits will just pass right through.
Apparently, in theory, this is ok but there is a chance of the elastics sticking to the sides of the intestine (and some other things) and not passing fully and causing issues so while in theory, it would work - they are saying not to.

We definitely don't want to encourage kitties to eat full rubber bands! They can tangle up inside and cause blockages and ripping in the intestines. But little tiny rubber band bits should be about the same as crayon shavings.
Mine is terrible with elastics. Drives me nuts. I keep them in bags, inside a drawer he can't get to as he's like a demon with them! it's a shame as if it was okay could have been an option to get them to eat if they are being food snobs! Dang!

what about normal food dye ? if beetroot comes out red, then green, blue , yellow food dye ?
Yup apparently that's is fine too as long as they are food grade. I guess sometimes it's hard to see than the little chunks of crayon for some reason but that can work too!

:poop: The litter box has never been so colorful ! It's like Walt Disney is feeding the cats :daisy::redcat: ...
*spits out her tea* LMAO! :flail: