Colopexy Recovery.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
So my cat Chloe, had a colopexy surgery for her anal prolapse. (aug 11- date of surgery) And she was under anesthesia and the paper we received from the vet said she might not have stools for a couple of days after but then the same paper says she should have 2-3 small bowel movements. I have contacted the vet and told him that she still haven’t pooped and that she went a couple of times to the litter box and she looked like she was pushing but nothing came out, and he said he’s not concerned but i am because she’s not supposed to be constipated(as is also says on the paper) and we give her wet food, stool softener and i started to give her water with a syringe to make sure she’s getting enough. but she still haven’t pooped. i don’t know what to do ? the vet is pissing me off, was supposed to call and check in on how she’s doing...but they haven’t. i am gonna call tomorrow again.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please.........surely you intended to state the surgery date as SEPTEMBER 11th.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I have a moment to.....recover?:flail:

I have no idea of the timeframe for the resumption of passing stool after this surgery. I'll look around for you.

Meantime, if it were I, I'd just march in there with her tomorrow and have her examined. They certainly 'owe' you a recheck exam at the very least.

I'd also be on the lookout for a cat-only practice......unless, of course, what's happened is out of character for these folks.

(Meantime, just watch......Murphy's law is sure to kick in and Missy, of course, will present you with an 'offering' right there in the waiting room!)

.....gone to look for info

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I have a moment to.....recover?:flail:

I have no idea of the timeframe for the resumption of passing stool after this surgery. I'll look around for you.

Meantime, if it were I, I'd just march in there with her tomorrow and have her examined. They certainly 'owe' you a recheck exam at the very least.

I'd also be on the lookout for a cat-only practice......unless, of course, what's happened is out of character for these folks.

(Meantime, just watch......Murphy's law is sure to kick in and Missy, of course, will present you with an 'offering' right there in the waiting room!)

.....gone to look for info
we were actually very happy with that vet, they seemed to know about it more then our previous vet. i actually got intouch with a member from here, that her cat also had a colopexy and didn’t poop right away. i took a video of how Chloe is trying to push and nothing is coming out and sent it to my vet and definitely going to be calling them tomorrow to follow up on the video.

i couldn’t really find anything online about the surgery a lot, besides that it does take a cat a while to poop after anesthesia. but i can’t help and worry

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found lots of references, but almost nothing by way of recovery info/post-op care.

There are several cases mentioned here on TCS.

Were you told to use some kind of stool softener at all? That was stated in some of the references I found.

One of the cases here also involved using a drug called Propulsid which stimulates the colon to move things along. They also used softeners.

Wet foods would be the most sensible diet from now on, too.

Hopefully you can have her seen shortly!

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found lots of references, but almost nothing by way of recovery info/post-op care.

There are several cases mentioned here on TCS.

Were you told to use some kind of stool softener at all? That was stated in some of the references I found.

One of the cases here also involved using a drug called Propulsid which stimulates the colon to move things along. They also used softeners.

Wet foods would be the most sensible diet from now on, too.

Hopefully you can have her seen shortly!
Yes she’s on wet food, and we do have a stool softener for her that we give her 2-3 times a day.

yeah i couldn’t find a lot about recovery and the pooping dilemma.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the vet saw my video and chloe is going in for an x-ray today. to make sure she’s not backed up.

hopefully we get some answers today.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so here’s an update. they gave her enema and now she has diarrhea. she’s locked in the bathroom for the night :( and it’s breaking my heart every time she meows she’s just laying in the bathtub or is by the door.

SmillaBille

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so here’s an update. they gave her enema and now she has diarrhea. she’s locked in the bathroom for the night :( and it’s breaking my heart every time she meows she’s just laying in the bathtub or is by the door.
Hi, Motylek, I am so sorry to hear what you and your cat are going through. May I ask, before the colopexy, did the vet try the sutures? And it didn’t work? Have you discovered the cause of the prolapsus? I am asking because the kitten I want to adopt from a shelter (only about 9 weeks old) has the prolapsus and while the shelter is doing all they can and not releasing her to my care before the issue is solved, I wanted to know what are the prognosis, how long is the recovery period after sutures/colopexy... Also, on the note of poop, I read another thread here about this issue, many suggested Gerber’s baby chicken and turkey food (NO onions!!!). It seems like a lot of help with tummy issues.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Motylek, I am so sorry to hear what you and your cat are going through. May I ask, before the colopexy, did the vet try the sutures? And it didn’t work? Have you discovered the cause of the prolapsus? I am asking because the kitten I want to adopt from a shelter (only about 9 weeks old) has the prolapsus and while the shelter is doing all they can and not releasing her to my care before the issue is solved, I wanted to know what are the prognosis, how long is the recovery period after sutures/colopexy... Also, on the note of poop, I read another thread here about this issue, many suggested Gerber’s baby chicken and turkey food (NO onions!!!). It seems like a lot of help with tummy issues.
Hi :) we are hanging in there. she seems to be getting better from what i can tell. hopefully her poop will go back to normal soon. I know they did the suture but it didn’t hold and i read that it’s not very effective, even the vet told us that most likely it won’t so that’s why we went with the colopexy. maybe the suture would hold in a kitten i guess it also depends how much of her butt is sticking out. but then i believe kittens are more pior to have worms etc. when we adopted her they said she can live with it and it shouldn’t be a problem. her anus was always wet and it wasn’t drying out. but we didn’t want her to live like that and there being a chance it’s going to dry out and she would need a worse surgery then the colopexy. i really hope it’s doesn’t come back. i spoke with another memeber here and her cat also had a colopexy and it returned in a month) we are seeing the vet this sunday for a check up on her stitches so i do wanna ask what are the chances she’s gonna relapse. i have also read how some people just put vaseline and push it back in.. but i don’t believe that will solve it.

as for the colopexy the recovery time is two weeks of her wearing a cone, and limit her activity. as for the pooping i am still confused because a lot i read that they get constipated because of the anesthesia. now she has diarrhea so i am hoping by the end of the day today it’s going to go into soft stool but not water. as i spoke with the vet today she said to check how much she has pooped out since she had a lot of hard poop in her and if it wasn’t what we think a significant amount they said to bring her back for x-ray and another round of edema.

Sorry if i’m not making lots of sense i tend to go in circles when i have a lot to say.
Hope i helped if you have any other questions feel free to ask and i can update you on her recovery.