Collections of Symptoms

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Some of you may recognize some of my posts - I’ve been having a problem with my cat. She’s 3 1/2 years old himalayan.
I need your help.
This is a chronological order of what has happened in the past 4 weeks:

February 4th: she had diarrhea with red blood specks and slime. Took her to the vet and was told to change from dry to wet food (i/d).

she was fine until

February 21st: she again had diarrhea with red blood and slime. And this time I noticed flea dirt and possible mites. Took her to the vet again on 22nd - received Bayer’s Advocate and was told to continue with wet food.

March 1st - she had a bit of diarrhea (most of her stools were good but she left sticky marks on her fur), she threw up a food bits and a chunk of fur, then she expelled a long worm. (I posted about this). On this day I decided to deep clean my house, deep vacuumed everything, wash her litter box and change the litter, bought a set of steel aluminum bowls.

March 2nd - she left a tiny bit of poo outside of her litter box and it is tinged red with blood (pic attached - sorry if it’s gross)

Today: she lost a patch of hair on the back of her neck and it also has a red mark on it.
I’m a nervous wreck. What is happening to her and what should I do? I’m unemployed so all these going back and forth to the vet is taking a toll on my finances.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you brought her into the vet since finding the worm?
Very important to do this. All the symptoms you mention could well be caused by having them

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is so hard on you and your cat...especially when finances are tight.
I do think it's a combination of what sivyaleah mentioned above...with it initially being about the fleas causing the worms...but then the Bayer Advocate could be causing the other symptoms you mention.

Is there any way that you can just email the Vet...and tell them that you think that the Advocate is having a skin reaction...on your cat.
(Either that or the i/d food is causing some allergic reactions....but I'm thinking it's more the topical application of Advocate...because of the way you excellently chronicled everything out.)

It sounds like it is working on the worms, though,...since you are seeing them being expelled.
Did you by any chance, ...happen to save the 'worm sample' ...from the stool...by placing it on a tissue...and into a small clear pill medicine bottle...so that you can show the Vet.? It would be good to show the Vet, since then you would know if it's tapeworm, roundworm...or any of the other type of worms.

I honestly would not use the Bayer Advocate again...until you could find out...from your Vet...if it is causing these skin reactions.
(In the future...I'd ask the Vet for something else...for the flea meds...and worming tablets like drontal, or milbemax...for the worms.)
Though, if your cat is very sensitive to these meds...then I'm not sure how you'd know ahead of time.
(I do use Revolution on my animals...and then am given drontal plus, or milbemax for worms in cats...and 'knock on wood'...I have not had any bad reactions, yet. Though I do also worry, when applying the topical meds...if any reactions will happen.)

Email and call the Vet up...and explain about the finances in your situation.
Often times, Vets do understand about budgets and will work with clients to help their animals out.
For your cat now...your Vet should explain ...how long the Advocate takes in clearing the worms...and fleas...and any possible side effects or reactions....should be phoned in to the main company, of the product...too.
(Just write everything down before you call the Vet...and ask your questions in number order...so you don't forget.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat nap cat nap thank you. I will try and see if the vet is ok with taking questions via email / phone. I’ve never done this before as it isn’t the custom (i live in singapore).

@sivyaelah I haven’t, but i’ve taken her twice in 3 weeks before she secreted the worm.