collars causing cats to poop outside the litter box

RLegates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two adult (5-year-old) male cats, who live indoors. They are very curious about the outdoors, and I worry about them getting out, especially in summer months when we might accidentally leave a door open. I tried putting collars on them, and at first they didn't seem to object at all (no scratching, etc.). But after a few days I noticed cat pee in the bathtub, and then on the bathroom doorsill. Then, progressively, cat poop in the bathtub and in front of the litter box. This went on for about two weeks. I talked to the cats' previous owner, and she told me that they pooped around the house when she tried to put collars on them. So I took the collars off, and sure enough, the behaviour stopped. Yes, they are microchipped, so I haven't tried the collars again, but I'm wondering if there is a way around this behavior? Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Strange indeed! You could try harnesses instead of collars, but since they are microchipped, is it really necessary? Also, with either the collar or the harness, if they were to get stuck on something when the cats would happen to get outside, unless they are the break away type, it could get them killed or strangled to death. I am not even sure there is such a thing as a break away harness - but, the point is if they can break away to save the cat from harm, then it would seem the collars/harnesses aren't accomplishing much anyway. They could also hurt themselves in the house as well.

Just make sure you have pics of them and if they should get out, you can make flyers with their pics - and, info about them being chipped - that you can put around the neighborhood as well as local vet offices, rescue centers, etc.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No way around the behavior except to eliminate the collars as they are emphatically telling you they hate them. While it isn’t ideal it seems you don’t have much choice.