Collar Recommendations

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All –

I’ve read every cat collar post I could find here and got lots of great info—thanks to everyone in TheCatSite community—the sharing of info is great!

I was adopted by two indoor-only kitties when I visited a rescue a few years back. They are both microchipped, and I have the vet test the chips every time we go in for annual wellness exams.

Initially I had collars on them just in case they got out, but was always concerned as the benefits came with some risks. In fact, about two months after we got them one of the girl’s collar was on too loose and my baby got her lower jaw caught in it. Luckily, we were in the same room and I was able to grab her as she was bouncing off of walls and got the collar off. Since then I’ve not put collars on either of them.

Recently I started thinking instead of having their collars on all the time it might be safer to use collars only in situations where there’s an added risk of their escaping. Thinking things like vet visits and when service people come into the house. I feel this might be a good balance of risk v. potential reward.

My question (finally): What are currently considered the safest collars? I’ve seen lost of postings about Beastie Collars, so want to check them out. I do wonder how “breakable” Velcro will be, but likewise the girls’ current collars do take a bit of pressure to break open. Any suggestions / recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Be well and stay safe!

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten has a typical break away collar from petsmart and she has gotten it caught in my closet and left it there. I wouldn't put anything else on a cat unless it's an old cat who doesn't move around much.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has a typical break away collar from petsmart and she has gotten it caught in my closet and left it there. I wouldn't put anything else on a cat unless it's an old cat who doesn't move around much.
Thanks for the response. That looks pretty much like the one we have... I'm probably overthinking this somewhat as the odds of them getting lost are slim. And if I go with only putting collars on during vet visits and similar the odds of them getting into trouble with it are really low.

Thanks again.