Collar or no collar?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty is indoor only and microchipped. I initially still had her wear a collar, because I figured if she ever escaped and were found by a neighbor, a collar with my number would do better than the chip.

I took the collar off when she had an inflamed lymph node in her neck, to avoid hurting her, and I haven't put it back on. Here's my thought: she's a total daredevil and always leaping and falling from high places, and even though the collar is breakaway, I'm worried it could malfunction and really hurt her. Weighing that risk against the risk of her getting out and the microchip never getting scanned, I decided against the collar. (It helps that I live in a condo building so she can't slip out my front door and get outside directly).

I'm curious what other people have decided for their indoor-only cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 indoor cats are microchipped,no collar. I did have one on my old cat with multiple medical issues because she liked to slip out but never made it that far. My 3 cats now have no desire to be outside. My cat from decades ago had a collar she choked on because it got stuck in her teeth. So no,I don't think a collar is necessary. My cat Maggie went berserk when I put it on her

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i decided on a collar and tag since graycie is not to afraid of strangers and willing to meet them being held by is a different story:lol:i figure if she gets out a stranger can see her tag easy it says i'm graycie help i am lost with gf and my cell numbers to contact better chance the stranger can call me than get her scanned if she is chipped i am lucky most the maintenace crew in my apartments all know her since she is so nosey and is always in their way anytime they do work in my apartment:lol:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a name tag with our phone numbers on each of her harnesses and her rabies tag on a removable ring that I put on the harness we're using outside but no collar inside. She is ok with one but I'm terrified she would get it caught, the breakaway ones don't release at an angle.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No collar for Boone or Gracie. I meant to get them microchipped when they got spayed/neutered but forgot to tell them. I will get them chipped when they go back for their wellness exam/shots. So far, neither has any desire to go outside.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cocoa, microchipped, wore a collars some years ago but it was wearing away her neck fur (she's long haired) even though it fit fine.

Luna is also microchipped but has never worn one. I am positive she wouldn't stand for it. She hates being restricted in any manner and a collar would probably drive her crazy. Aside from that, we've been battling allergies with her and she scratches in the neck area quite a bit. Also being long haired seems impractical for her.

I do worry a LOT about them potentially getting out though and whether the microchip is enough. Both of them are not super friendly to strangers so anyone would have a rough time catching them. The scenario would probably be more like people reporting them since both are so very different looking than your average street cat. We are just extremely careful about entering and exiting the house. Luckily both are not the types to charge doors.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My indoor only cats are chipped and wear collars. I live on the third floor of a building and have no balcony so I don't know if the cats have any interest in going outside. If they get out my door, all they can do is run up and down the hallway. Unlikely they can open the heavy door to the emergency stairs or figure out how to work the elevator.

Beastie Band collars are often recommended as safe collars to use.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Coming from someone who's been with an animal shelter 10+ years, any reputable vet's office, shelter, animal control officer, animal organization and even many pet stores will carry microchip scanners and that is the absolute FIRST thing that they do when any animal is found. Just make sure you're information attached to the microchip is updated.
That being said, microchips don't stop a regular person from saying "what an adorable, friendly cat, I'll keep you."
All 5 of my cats are indoor only. During the winter I leave the collars off, but when it gets warm and I have the doors and windows open, I put them back on, just in case.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my rather small area in Germany, in every town and village we have at least one volunteer with a micro-chip reader who is willing to check stray cats, dead or alive, so that the owner can be found. This system breaks down, of course, when the owner hasn't registered the chip number with one of the databanks. So, depending where you live, a micro-chip (and no collar) should be enough.

If you think your cat needs a collar and disc, then please use a collar which will snap as soon as it gets caught on something and the cat panics. We have found dead cats caught by their so-called safety collars so be careful.

Unfortunately a collar which snaps serves no purpose at all when the cat leaves it hanging in a tree but at least the cat is alive.

We have special paper collars for cats we find (without a microchip) where we are uncertain if they are strays or family pets. We can write any message we like on the collar itself asking anyone who is feeding this cat to phone us, or to say this cat is being fed and give a telephone number. Anyone can use these collars if they find a stray, suspect that their cat is being fed at another household, or if they want to warn people that this outdoor cat needs medication, has an allergy or whatever seems important at the time.

I used to put a collar on my indoor/outdoor cat, thinking it looked cute and a bell would frighten away the birds. Well, I'm no longer keen on turning cats into cute babies or dogs. I prefer my cats to look more natural without a fancy collar and a bell never saved the life of a bird. Sadly, I have to admit that only 2 of my 4 indoor-only cats are micro-chipped and registered. One, a foster who stayed, has a very clear tattoo, which has been registered, and Mogi (14) missed out completely. She has never even tried to approach the open front door, running immediately in the opposite direction. I have to admit, I am taking a risk.

But, nothing is 100% right or wrong. It's your choice and your risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone's posts. Makes me feel a little better about my decision. My kitty does go outside on my deck, either in a harness with leash or in a tent, but since it's a 4-floor fall if she escaped, I have a strong imperative to keep a close eye on her at all times and keep her contained, beyond just a worry about her getting lost. And I guess I just don't trust the breakaway function enough to risk relying on it. Good to know I'm not totally alone, though I get that everyone will weigh the risks a little differently.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friday wears a collar with a tag. He looks very handsome, but also he will sometimes go outside (always supervised) as after 10 years as a barn cat he just insists on it.

Plus, he's just a generic orange cat, so I'm extra paranoid about having him identified if he got out and was wandering around or taken into a shelter.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah wears a beastie band with a slider tag. The tag came on a different collar that wasn't fitting her right. I took the collar off her, put the slider and a bell on (it helps me keep track of where she is) and put the collar down on the bed while I got scissors to shorten it. She came over and did this:

20201223_124945.jpg

It's like, "ok Mom when are you putting my collar back on?"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My policy is to have a breakaway collar with metal engraved ID tag for each cat and to make sure they are wearing them. My cats are always indoors-only, but I feel it's my responsibility to do this just to be sure. They have slipped them from time to time, and I always get the collar, follow the cat, and put the collar right back on.

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My lil guy is indoor-only with some supervised outside time. He's blind so he doesn't really go anywhere that's too far from me. He's chipped. I don't use a collar for him. I figure the risk of a collar is especially big for a blind cat and there's no benefit since he's (mostly) indoor only.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My lil guy is indoor-only with some supervised outside time. He's blind so he doesn't really go anywhere that's too far from me. He's chipped. I don't use a collar for him. I figure the risk of a collar is especially big for a blind cat and there's no benefit since he's (mostly) indoor only.
Agree 100%. Each cat, like each person, is an individual with unique needs. Please give your guy lots and lots of love from me! :redheartpump: :heartshape::redcat: