cold, but stray won't use heated house!

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've become very attached to a stray who's basically lived on my front porch all summer. I've been feeding her, and she's very friendly but clearly doesn't belong to anyone. The previous owner called her "the barn cat," but we've insulated/shut up the main barn where she may have lived. Now that the weather is starting to turn cold - and will soon be much colder - I splurged and bought her a heated house for the front porch. I removed the front and back flaps, put in a towel that she'd been sleeping on so that she'd be familiar with the smell, and...she wouldn't use it. Another stray/feral eventually moved in. That's fine, but I'm worried about the original stray (Claudia). She's so small, and I don't know where she's sleeping at night. I'm getting ready to build a couple of Rubbermaid/straw shelters (with a homemade microwave-able rice-filled "snuggle pad" for extra warmth)...but how can I get her to use them? Also, where's the best place to put them? We have a small (700 sq foot) barn that's a small hike from the house. The door stays ajar, so I thought about putting the shelters in there. But I'm worried that the ferals won't be able to find them. There isn't room on the porch for a row of shelters. Any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she has the clipped ear, plus she's definitely not been pregnant in the 9+months that we've lived here! :)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By heated pet house do you mean you're using an outdoor heating pad for cats, like K&H, or Kitty Tube? How big is the house, and is there an exit on both sides?

It can take several days or even weeks for a cat to use a new pet house or shelter, but if the weather gets cold enough, they usually will unless another cat has claimed it. Now that another cat has moved into the pet house and claimed it as his own, she'll need a different one.

Are you sure there aren't other people on the block who may be providing shelter for her? That can often happen if you live on a pet friendly block. It's helpful to communicate with your neighbors. She may already have found some place to shelter.

Have you considered letting her into your house? Can you handle her at all?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to be totally sure she is safe is to bring her in to socialize her. Being a smaller cat may mean the cold will be harder for her. If she previously lived in the barn, hopefully, she will find a place there. You can try observing where she goes. If you locate her in the barn then you can place a shelter near that spot. You did well by using her towel to try and get her into the heated house but if another cat claimed it then it’s their house now. I would try putting a shelter in the barn and if you have space, one more where she stayed on the porch. I put a table on my porch so that I could go up. I had shelter under it and on top.
Thank you for caring about her. As she gets older, life outside will become more difficult for her. You’re a lifesaver! :redheartpump::thanks:
Please keep us posted about her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
To help people have room for extra outside cats: in a shady back yard... Idea for outside rescue cats = Catio, use a Lucky Dog type (other brands fine) Dog Kennel with roof as an outside catio - I put a table in the cage for levels and use an ant free dish for food and the litter box under the table along with a kuranda type bed , if room a chair etc and in winter an insulated cooler or dog house you can run a wire for power and use a fan or heater pad...

FB_IMG_1571363857456.jpg

I copy pasted this from my rescue friend

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before I say anything else, I've got to echo what Jcatbird Jcatbird said - - you should pat yourself on the back for being so caring and concerned about these furry little beings who've obviously chosen you as a safe caregiver! So many people see what you've been seeing - and pay not attention, hoping the kitties don't become "their problem." Yeah for you for not only refusing to look the other way, but for caring enough to find solutions!

Sounds like she is spayed (just be sure it's a true ear tip - - every now and then the end of a kitty's ear becomes frostbitten, and they lose the tip of that ear. It's usually fairly obvious whether it's a straight line (ear tip) vs a more ragged edge (frostbite). You might double check just to be sure! (I speak from very close experience - a friend of ours who also cares for our neighborhood colony (helps us TNR, etc.). She swore a new cat that showed up was tipped - - I drove by and looked at the kitty through binoculars but didn't get out of the car (our neighbor is the only one who can get close). I agreed she looked ear tipped.....you guessed it - we were both wrong. She disappeared a bit later, and returned with, yes, a litter of kittens in tow. This time we DID trap and TNR, and socialized, feed, and adopted out the kittens. But that was the surprise of the summer!

Since Claudia's obviously fallen for you (and it sounds like it's mutual :redheartpump: ), and it sounds as though she's very friendly, is there a chance you can bring her in as an indoor kitty? She sounds far from feral (she sounds like she was likely dumped by an owner, or escaped from a home), and so easing her into an indoor life might not be that difficult. It would certainly be much safer for her - - giving her a much longer, healthier, happier, safer life (and probably give YOU a happier longer life since you wouldn't worry about her!:catrub:). If you do decide you'd like to try that - - -there are many of us here who'd be more than happy to hep you out with any questions you might have. Lots and lots of us have experience bringing in and socializing strays/ferals/etc. So if it's a way you think you'd like to try - - - please don't be afraid to ask for help - - it's what we're all here for!!!!

Below is a link to a page from Alley Cat Allies' website (they're a very reputable organization dedicated almost exclusively to feral/semi-fera/'stray kitties and TNR). This particular page shows lots of housing options. From homemade - - -like the Rubbermaid ones many of us here have done - myself included! - -all the way up to ones you can purchase. The one you mention you already got that she didn't use - - out of curiosity - is it the first one on their list (K&H Outdoor Heated Kitty House)? We'd made several rubbermaid ones, them my hubby surprised me and bought 2 of the K&H ones, and sadly, our TNR'd ferals have RARELY (in 5 years!) set foot into either!!!!! I will say that putting the back flap back on did help a little, and ours will use it now that that's on - - -but only if the other kitty houses are taken!!!!! And f that IS the one you bought - note that the only heated portion is the floor (and it does NOT seem to get as warm as other kitty heating pads- - and putting a towel on top of the floor would block most of the heat. Know that towels aren't the best to put into a kitty house - - if kitty is wet at all, they get the towel wet, and if it's very cold out, the towel actually sucks heat away from the kitty. You're better off putting some straw (NOT hay!) inside, around the outside edges inside. That house also needs to be protected - - you said it was on your porch, which should be good. It's just not meant for outside directly in the elements.

The Rubbermaid ones are definitely a good option. We put cat heating pads (outdoor rated) into ours, and add lots of straw for kitty to burrow into. We also attach a plexi sheet (you can get precut ones at most home stores - - including Home Depot, etc. We lean the plexi up against the top of the shelter, forming kind of an "a-frame" (so that kitty can get in and out, but it blocks the wind and the rain. We drill 2 holes in the top of the plexiglass and identically spaced ones into the front edge of the outside rubbermaid container, and fasten with zip ties. The kitty can see out - - but wind, rain, sleet, etc. don't come in! It's also important the shelters are slightly off the ground, or the heat is sucked out of them into the ground. We use old patio bricks to elevate ours.

As far as where to put her shelter - - and how to get her to find it, there are a few options I use. The barn sounds good - - - is electricity available out there? Because a heated pad will remain warm without having to disturb her to heat a rice pad multiple times daily, plus it'll provide another layer between her and outside. Plus it would be great if you can plug in a heated water bowl - - fresh water's critical for them, and most of their "normal" water sources will freeze (and eating snow isn't good!).

To get her to recognize it's there - - - I'd feed near the barn opening (especially "high value" food -- -like baked chicken, etc) she'll be drawn by the smell, and depending on her comfort with you, I'd put more "high value" food near the opening of the shelter. NEVER inside the shelter - or too close to the opening, as other animals will smell it (even if you can no longer see it). And when I use this method - I stay the entire time the food's out, just to be safe. I also put a little trail of catnip leading up to the shelter, and a little more inside. If there's a toy she plays with - I throw one inside. If she'll play with a laser pointer - - -use that to play with her a bit and then lead her into the shelter! I'd also sit outside the barn and call her - - then reward her with food and/or play when she comes. She'll figure it out shortly!

All that being said - - - -bringing her indoors would help her the most. But if you can't, I understand. Everyone's situation is different!

Keep us posted - - -I'll certainly be sending encoring vibes to you and Claudia!!!!!

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By heated pet house do you mean you're using an outdoor heating pad for cats, like K&H, or Kitty Tube? How big is the house, and is there an exit on both sides?

It can take several days or even weeks for a cat to use a new pet house or shelter, but if the weather gets cold enough, they usually will unless another cat has claimed it. Now that another cat has moved into the pet house and claimed it as his own, she'll need a different one.

Are you sure there aren't other people on the block who may be providing shelter for her? That can often happen if you live on a pet friendly block. It's helpful to communicate with your neighbors. She may already have found some place to shelter.

Have you considered letting her into your house? Can you handle her at all?
Yes, it's the K&H heated house. There's an exit on both sides, but she remains uninterested.

Oh, I'm sure I'm the only one. The houses around here aren't close together, and when she's not on the front porch, she's sleeping under a bush in front of it. She occasionally ranges into the back yard, but she's never far!

I wish she could come into the house, but there are 2 reasons why she can't. First, I have 2 indoor cats. One of them is female, and she HATES Claudia. She screams at her through the window and they've fought when the front door is open (screen door barrier). The other reason is my husband - he's allergic to cats. I do have 2 indoor cats (that came with this marriage! ha!), which he can tolerate, but his allergist said: not a single more cat in the house. So outdoor is the only option.

Claudia can be handled, briefly. I can pick her up and she tolerates it for about 15 seconds.

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only way to be totally sure she is safe is to bring her in to socialize her. Being a smaller cat may mean the cold will be harder for her. If she previously lived in the barn, hopefully, she will find a place there. You can try observing where she goes. If you locate her in the barn then you can place a shelter near that spot. You did well by using her towel to try and get her into the heated house but if another cat claimed it then it’s their house now. I would try putting a shelter in the barn and if you have space, one more where she stayed on the porch. I put a table on my porch so that I could go up. I had shelter under it and on top.
Thank you for caring about her. As she gets older, life outside will become more difficult for her. You’re a lifesaver! :redheartpump::thanks:
Please keep us posted about her.
She's pretty socialized. She's very friendly with us...rubs up against us when we come onto the porch...tolerates being picked up for a short time. I'm definitely going to try to observe her at night to see where she goes. She knows the barn yard but I've never seen her go into the barn. I wish she'd go into our garage, but we don't want raccoons/possums/mice to get in if we leave the door cracked. I've thought about catching her and "trapping" her in there every night, and leaving the door cracked during the day so that she can get in and out. Still weighing options!

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To help people have room for extra outside cats: in a shady back yard... Idea for outside rescue cats = Catio, use a Lucky Dog type (other brands fine) Dog Kennel with roof as an outside catio - I put a table in the cage for levels and use an ant free dish for food and the litter box under the table along with a kuranda type bed , if room a chair etc and in winter an insulated cooler or dog house you can run a wire for power and use a fan or heater pad...

View attachment 303985
I copy pasted this from my rescue friend
That's a great idea! Do you think that would be a better option than our barn?

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I say anything else, I've got to echo what Jcatbird Jcatbird said - - you should pat yourself on the back for being so caring and concerned about these furry little beings who've obviously chosen you as a safe caregiver! So many people see what you've been seeing - and pay not attention, hoping the kitties don't become "their problem." Yeah for you for not only refusing to look the other way, but for caring enough to find solutions!

Sounds like she is spayed (just be sure it's a true ear tip - - every now and then the end of a kitty's ear becomes frostbitten, and they lose the tip of that ear. It's usually fairly obvious whether it's a straight line (ear tip) vs a more ragged edge (frostbite). You might double check just to be sure! (I speak from very close experience - a friend of ours who also cares for our neighborhood colony (helps us TNR, etc.). She swore a new cat that showed up was tipped - - I drove by and looked at the kitty through binoculars but didn't get out of the car (our neighbor is the only one who can get close). I agreed she looked ear tipped.....you guessed it - we were both wrong. She disappeared a bit later, and returned with, yes, a litter of kittens in tow. This time we DID trap and TNR, and socialized, feed, and adopted out the kittens. But that was the surprise of the summer!

Since Claudia's obviously fallen for you (and it sounds like it's mutual :redheartpump: ), and it sounds as though she's very friendly, is there a chance you can bring her in as an indoor kitty? She sounds far from feral (she sounds like she was likely dumped by an owner, or escaped from a home), and so easing her into an indoor life might not be that difficult. It would certainly be much safer for her - - giving her a much longer, healthier, happier, safer life (and probably give YOU a happier longer life since you wouldn't worry about her!:catrub:). If you do decide you'd like to try that - - -there are many of us here who'd be more than happy to hep you out with any questions you might have. Lots and lots of us have experience bringing in and socializing strays/ferals/etc. So if it's a way you think you'd like to try - - - please don't be afraid to ask for help - - it's what we're all here for!!!!

Below is a link to a page from Alley Cat Allies' website (they're a very reputable organization dedicated almost exclusively to feral/semi-fera/'stray kitties and TNR). This particular page shows lots of housing options. From homemade - - -like the Rubbermaid ones many of us here have done - myself included! - -all the way up to ones you can purchase. The one you mention you already got that she didn't use - - out of curiosity - is it the first one on their list (K&H Outdoor Heated Kitty House)? We'd made several rubbermaid ones, them my hubby surprised me and bought 2 of the K&H ones, and sadly, our TNR'd ferals have RARELY (in 5 years!) set foot into either!!!!! I will say that putting the back flap back on did help a little, and ours will use it now that that's on - - -but only if the other kitty houses are taken!!!!! And f that IS the one you bought - note that the only heated portion is the floor (and it does NOT seem to get as warm as other kitty heating pads- - and putting a towel on top of the floor would block most of the heat. Know that towels aren't the best to put into a kitty house - - if kitty is wet at all, they get the towel wet, and if it's very cold out, the towel actually sucks heat away from the kitty. You're better off putting some straw (NOT hay!) inside, around the outside edges inside. That house also needs to be protected - - you said it was on your porch, which should be good. It's just not meant for outside directly in the elements.

The Rubbermaid ones are definitely a good option. We put cat heating pads (outdoor rated) into ours, and add lots of straw for kitty to burrow into. We also attach a plexi sheet (you can get precut ones at most home stores - - including Home Depot, etc. We lean the plexi up against the top of the shelter, forming kind of an "a-frame" (so that kitty can get in and out, but it blocks the wind and the rain. We drill 2 holes in the top of the plexiglass and identically spaced ones into the front edge of the outside rubbermaid container, and fasten with zip ties. The kitty can see out - - but wind, rain, sleet, etc. don't come in! It's also important the shelters are slightly off the ground, or the heat is sucked out of them into the ground. We use old patio bricks to elevate ours.

As far as where to put her shelter - - and how to get her to find it, there are a few options I use. The barn sounds good - - - is electricity available out there? Because a heated pad will remain warm without having to disturb her to heat a rice pad multiple times daily, plus it'll provide another layer between her and outside. Plus it would be great if you can plug in a heated water bowl - - fresh water's critical for them, and most of their "normal" water sources will freeze (and eating snow isn't good!).

To get her to recognize it's there - - - I'd feed near the barn opening (especially "high value" food -- -like baked chicken, etc) she'll be drawn by the smell, and depending on her comfort with you, I'd put more "high value" food near the opening of the shelter. NEVER inside the shelter - or too close to the opening, as other animals will smell it (even if you can no longer see it). And when I use this method - I stay the entire time the food's out, just to be safe. I also put a little trail of catnip leading up to the shelter, and a little more inside. If there's a toy she plays with - I throw one inside. If she'll play with a laser pointer - - -use that to play with her a bit and then lead her into the shelter! I'd also sit outside the barn and call her - - then reward her with food and/or play when she comes. She'll figure it out shortly!

All that being said - - - -bringing her indoors would help her the most. But if you can't, I understand. Everyone's situation is different!

Keep us posted - - -I'll certainly be sending encoring vibes to you and Claudia!!!!!
Thanks! I detailed above why I couldn't bring her inside, although I wish that I could. I guess my main goal is to figure out where she's sleeping before it gets too cold. I think we'll try to build a couple of those Rubbermaid containers and put them behind our house. We have a gravel-covered patio, and it's shady. Also far enough from the front door to avoid major activity, but close enough to the back door (glass) that I could monitor the goings-on and feed them easily. I think I could train her to go there. I just want her to be very safe! I've been giving her wet food to help her bulk up for winter.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you find her a home? She's young and socialized to you, so she could easily adjust to living in someone's home. Life would be so much easier and happier for her. Can you ask around at work, your friends and neighbors, church, etc? Take her picture and show it around. Offer to get her vet checked and vaccinated.

I have 5 indoor cats and 1 indoor/outdoor cat. I can tell you from my personal experience that the one indoor/outdoor cat causes more stress for me than the other 5 cats combined. If you should decide to take this Kitty into your home, even temporarily in a room by herself while you are searching for a forever home for her and getting her vet checked, she could be socialized to get along with your other cats. My one indoor/outdoor cat used to fight with my other cats through the window dividing my porch from my sunroom. A year later when I opened my door to her on a cold and stormy night, she walked inside and there has never been a conflict between her and my other cats. They got to know each other through the window, as amazing as that sounds. All I am saying is that it is possible to socialize a new cat with resident cats if that will ever be an option you might consider

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you find her a home? She's young and socialized to you, so she could easily adjust to living in someone's home. Life would be so much easier and happier for her. Can you ask around at work, your friends and neighbors, church, etc? Take her picture and show it around. Offer to get her vet checked and vaccinated.

I have 5 indoor cats and 1 indoor/outdoor cat. I can tell you from my personal experience that the one indoor/outdoor cat causes more stress for me than the other 5 cats combined. If you should decide to take this Kitty into your home, even temporarily in a room by herself while you are searching for a forever home for her and getting her vet checked, she could be socialized to get along with your other cats. My one indoor/outdoor cat used to fight with my other cats through the window dividing my porch from my sunroom. A year later when I opened my door to her on a cold and stormy night, she walked inside and there has never been a conflict between her and my other cats. They got to know each other through the window, as amazing as that sounds. All I am saying is that it is possible to socialize a new cat with resident cats if that will ever be an option you might consider
I wish I could, but my husband is allergic. His allergist says that we're pushing it with the 2 indoor cats that we do have! I don't know anyone who's looking for a cat, but I am always keeping an eye out for that! Are they really happier inside? One of my inside cats used to be a stray, and although I've had him for 12 years, he's ALWAYS howling to go outside. Claudia seems frisky and happy. I guess there's no way to know!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old do you think she is? Do you think she's a stray who once lived indoors? Yes, some cats are happier being indoor/outdoor, like my Harlow, who's been outdoors all her life. Sonny loves to go outside with my supervision, but is usually indoors. My other 4 have no interest in going outside.

If this kitty is a year or younger, and if she once had a home, she would likely love having an indoor home, or perhaps would like to be indoor/outdoor. Has she ever expressed an interest in going inside your home? You wouldn't know what she wanted until you tried.

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old do you think she is? Do you think she's a stray who once lived indoors? Yes, some cats are happier being indoor/outdoor, like my Harlow, who's been outdoors all her life. Sonny loves to go outside with my supervision, but is usually indoors. My other 4 have no interest in going outside.

If this kitty is a year or younger, and if she once had a home, she would likely love having an indoor home, or perhaps would like to be indoor/outdoor. Has she ever expressed an interest in going inside your home? You wouldn't know what she wanted until you tried.
Well, I'm just not sure. She isn't a kitten and seems like a full-grown adult...when we bought this house in April, the seller said that the barn cat "lives here" - so just not sure! She sure seems to love it outside, though, and never begs to come in. She doesn't like to be held for very long and is very resistant to 'new things' (like the soft cat bed I bought to put on the wicker chair where she sometimes sleeps...bought some cat nip to ease the transition!). Thankfully it's still fairly warm during the day (upper 60s/low 70s) and in the 40s at night...gives me a little time to build these houses and start getting her acclimated. Still can't seem to figure out where she sleeps, though.