Cold And Flu Season Is Here :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well....As much as I told myself I would not get sick this year (last year was horrible) I have a:censored: cold. :( I think.
This cold is not progressing as a cold usually does and has started in my chest and not my sinuses. I was under the impression that acute bronchitis (chest cold) is SECONDARY to the common cold or flu. Do any of you get acute bronchitis WITHOUT having had a primary upper respiratory infection first?

Cold Symptoms: (gradual onset)
sore throat, cough, congestion / runny nose, fatigue (mild), aches (mild), low grade fever

Flu Symptoms: (fast onset)
Fever/chills, headache, sore throat, dry cough, muscle aches, fatigue...as it progresses...severe productive cough, nasal congestion, and possibility of nausea and vomiting.

Acute bronchitis (chest cold): usually secondary to a cold or flu:

The main symptom of bronchitis is a productive cough that persists several days to weeks . Other symptoms that may occur are: fatigue, wheezing sounds when breathing, tightness or dull pain in the chest, shortness of breath.

Sooo, I know everyone is different but the progression of a cold and the flu are pretty consistent across the board for everyone with varying severity, but I kinda don't fit into any of those categories...

Yesterday, I started with that dreaded "tickle"...but a day later and no sort throat, no increased sneezing or runny nose, no congestion..It has gone right to my chest. I have the tightness and some discomfort when I cough. I do have some very mild chest congestion (but it's only day two). I don't feel like I have a fever, I don't feel like I got hit by a truck (like when you have the flu)....
Thinking back, I think I have been fighting a cold all week but no "active/productive" cold symptoms presented. So I wonder if I did have a cold, but was able to keep it at bay, but unfortunately, my now chest cold is secondary to the cold that I "almost" had.
IDK, what do you think? Can you get a chest cold without having had a primary infection?
All the information says that a chest cold or acute bronchitis is secondary?...

FYI, I don't need to go to a doctor. I feel pretty good, it's the weekend so I can rest, and I have all the OTC stuff I may need, including puffers. This is only day two, and am in no where near needing a doc to just tell me to go home and rest. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had acute (viral) bronchitis without having had a cold or flu first. And also, when you get a cold, how does it progress for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing, three of my co-workers have been sick with colds, as well as several patients over the last few weeks since school started.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get my flu shot and if I feel a cold coming on I use the Zycam sticks, which can greatly diminish the length and severity of a cold.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you can get bronchitis directly.

I almost always get bronchitis after a cold, ugh. It goes much better with an inhaler though. I have a cold now, and I feel OK but the coughing is terrible, even with an inhaler. So I didn't sleep well last night. Bleh. Hope it's gone soon.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you can get bronchitis directly.
OK, thanks. I thought is was possible, but could not find that info anywhere.

Last year when all my boys were sick and then all passed away. It's safe to say my immune system was CRAP from stress and no sleep. I got sick 3 times and twice ended up with bronchitis.
I was told that once you get bronchitis that your more susceptible to it in the future. I guess it's something I'm going to have to be mindful of from now on.

It just sucks because up until last year, I hardly ever got sick, maybe once every two years or so. I hope this is not going to be a new trend.:(

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you feel better soon.

Although I have a lot of physical ailments, I have a super immune system and almost never get sick. It may have something to do with the Echinacea pills I take.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get well soon! I'm just recovering from a bad cold/mild flu - ironic, as I was due my flu jab today, but will be going next weekend instead. I have a genetic condition which means that I have a weak immune system, and am more prone to common colds especially if they're going around. I had the cold on my birthday on Tuesday, which wasn't so fun!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to get my first ever flu shot this year for work. I'm nervous about it because my father seems to get so sick after getting his. I just hope that's not genetic.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We've just had the flu season and that sounds like what everyone had Jem Jem . There's still bits of it around. Very chesty.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
les26 les26 - Thanks, I'll look into them. Although I have to be careful of a lot of "immune boosting" supplements, but that's a whole other thread! LOL!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually end up getting my flu shot in January because that's when my physical usually happens, but I went to the doctor last week and got it early. I haven't been sick in over two years (other than food poisoning) and I work heavily with the public. I credit being very diligent about washing my hands and also making sure I never touch or rub my eyes when I'm not at home.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to get my first ever flu shot this year for work. I'm nervous about it because my father seems to get so sick after getting his. I just hope that's not genetic.
Ive heard people get sick after the flu shot....Ive always wondered about that..cause im seriously considering getting a flu shot this yr though..cause of my health n age

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive heard people get sick after the flu shot....Ive always wondered about that..cause im seriously considering getting a flu shot this yr though..cause of my health n age
For years I organized flu shots for the companies I worked for, with at least a hundred or more people getting their shot every year. I rarely rarely heard of anyone getting much more than a sore arm from the shot. It does take about two weeks though for the shot to kick in so it is entirely possible in those two weeks to come down with the flu, not from the shot but from previous exposure.

I had influenza twice in my life. Once at 18 where within hours I went from fine to raging fever and so weak I couldn’t get up. I missed a week of work and spent another week or two still feeling weak. The second time I was 35 and got just as sick. I have gotten my annual flu shot ever since. If I got that sick when I was young and strong I can’t imagine what it would do to me now.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
For years I organized flu shots for the companies I worked for, with at least a hundred or more people getting their shot every year. I rarely rarely heard of anyone getting much more than a sore arm from the shot. It does take about two weeks though for the shot to kick in so it is entirely possible in those two weeks to come down with the flu, not from the shot but from previous exposure.

I had influenza twice in my life. Once at 18 where within hours I went from fine to raging fever and so weak I couldn’t get up. I missed a week of work and spent another week or two still feeling weak. The second time I was 35 and got just as sick. I have gotten my annual flu shot ever since. If I got that sick when I was young and strong I can’t imagine what it would do to me now.
Oh im getting a flu shot this yr.. I was just saying..ive heard people say I got the flu shot n made me sick...But im getting it this year...Cause of my health aint great n my age
.NOT OLD JUST SAYING.
IM 55:lol::)

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When H1N1 made it's big appearance about 10 years ago? I ended up with it. It was horrible. But, I still don't get the flu shot. I guess I'm stubborn. Up until last year, I hardly ever got sick. But as I said, last year was different, I was burnt out, emotionally, physically...I was done, but still muscled thru. I'm still recovering as I get my home and work life back together. I'll get there, eventually.
Did you know that it is considered average for someone to get up to 3-5 colds a year? I find that to be excessive. Especially considering all the other types of viral infections we are exposed to. 3-5 is just COLDS.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
When H1N1 made it's big appearance about 10 years ago? I ended up with it. It was horrible. But, I still don't get the flu shot. I guess I'm stubborn. Up until last year, I hardly ever got sick. But as I said, last year was different, I was burnt out, emotionally, physically...I was done, but still muscled thru. I'm still recovering as I get my home and work life back together. I'll get there, eventually.
Did you know that it is considered average for someone to get up to 3-5 colds a year? I find that to be excessive. Especially considering all the other types of viral infections we are exposed to. 3-5 is just COLDS.
I have gotten flu shots almost all of my life and have never gotten sick from them. With everything else I have wrong with me I can't afford to get the flu.
Me EITHER...;):)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's possible to feel a bit tired and sore after the shot. One year I did feel bad for about 36 hours. I went to bed and stayed there. I know of others that had the same issue that year. Having said that, I get the shot every year. I have asthma, so I'm at a higher risk. I've had the flu that went into pneumonia with pleurisy. It's the sickest I have ever been and don't want to relive that.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible to feel a bit tired and sore after the shot. One year I did feel bad for about 36 hours. I went to bed and stayed there. I know of others that had the same issue that year. Having said that, I get the shot every year. I have asthma, so I'm at a higher risk. I've had the flu that went into pneumonia with pleurisy. It's the sickest I have ever been and don't want to relive that.
Oh my