Coffee & Tea Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
much less messy than scooping out of the bag.
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! I'm so klutzy, it just flies everywhere.

Morning: Gevalia French Roast with 3TB Folgers vanilla cappuccino

After my walk: Gevalia French Roast drank black

Right now, after dinner: Gevalia French Roast drank black

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just wonder if the K-cups would be more expensive?
Oh, more than likely. But it would be nice for when you wanted to sample a new blend or flavour.

Awww, hang around us long enough, we'll fix that. :thumbsup:
You never know. But for now I'll be set with my Cafe Mocha, as Amazon had it on sale, so I ordered the deal that comes with 8 containers! Hope I don't get tired of it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or maybe a coffee grinder so you can grind a day or two of beans at a time. That way they stay much fresher and you can really taste the difference instead of buying ground coffee. The grinders are relatively inexpensive and range from $19.00 on up. I bought mine ages ago and it still works great. 👍
Agreed. I only buy whole bean coffee and grind it myself. Much better.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can get a refillable cup that you can put your own coffee in.
I like that idea!

I don't think I like French Roast much. Or maybe I just don't like this Gevalia brand. I'll try another brand of French Roast to be sure. I tried making it stronger and weaker, but I'm just not feeling it. It's almost gone.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got rid of my Keurig one cup coffee maker when I discovered how it is impossible to clean them. I went back to my basic Mr Coffee drip. I like buying whole bean & grinding just enough to make a pot. I like trying different beans from Wegman's. Right now I am enjoying "Costa Rican Tarrazu". I also like their "Island Paradise Blend" & "Espresso Blend". I have PKD and really should stay away from caffeine but, I gotta have my coffee!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got rid of my Keurig one cup coffee maker when I discovered how it is impossible to clean them.
Good point. I didn't know they are hard to clean. I have some Espresso, maybe I'll try that next.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good point. I didn't know they are hard to clean. I have some Espresso, maybe I'll try that next.
I guess times have changed and now they can be cleaned. I run white vinegar thru my Mr Coffee once a month to de-scale. When they start to sputter and take longer to make a pot, this means they need de-scaling with white vinegar.

How to clean your Keurig with distilled vinegar

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got rid of my Keurig one cup coffee maker when I discovered how it is impossible to clean them. I went back to my basic Mr Coffee drip. I like buying whole bean & grinding just enough to make a pot. I like trying different beans from Wegman's. Right now I am enjoying "Costa Rican Tarrazu". I also like their "Island Paradise Blend" & "Espresso Blend". I have PKD and really should stay away from caffeine but, I gotta have my coffee!
I got rid of mine too because I didn't like it. I thought the coffee that came out of it was barely better than instant. The waste produced by the cups is absurd too. Especially if you drink a lot of coffee like I do. I did have the reusable one but IMO the coffee wasn't any better than the prefilled cups. :dunno:
DD was happy to take it off my hands. :lol:

When I went to the pantry earlier, I realized that I fibbed a bit. I remembered that I bought a 10 oz brick of Cafe Bustelo when I went shopping last weekend. It's already ground. It was on sale at Publix 2/$5 and they had a $1 digital coupon so I figured I'd try it for $1.50. I haven't opened it yet. I will after I finish what is open already. Unless I get impatient and open it before that which is likely. :lol:
Espresso Ground Coffee | Café Bustelo

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have PKD and really should stay away from caffeine but, I gotta have my coffee!
Although I don't have PKD I am 100% addicted to caffeine and coffee is my guilty pleasure. :anticipation:

I got rid of mine too because I didn't like it. I thought the coffee that came out of it was barely better than instant.
I agree! :agree: I never had a Keurig but we had one at work in the teacher's lounge and I only used it if I was desperate.:biggrin:

All this coffee talk is making me thirsty for another cup so I better go grind some beans. ☕

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
For a brief period, I had a keurig single serving coffee maker. It was a pain to use. It really was.
When I realized that they do not take a water filter, I gave up on it.

I now have a regular Keurig coffee maker. I do have the non-disposable cup for my own brand of coffee. I have never tried it consistently. I heard that using your own coffee, gave it much better flavor than the remade cups... I am not sure of that, but......

Now, I am drinking coffee so rarely; I use the Keurig to heat up one cup of water, for tea.

I also, clean it monthly with a vinegar rinse. The filters I replace every 2-3 months..

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cafe Bustelo
That's the brand of Espresso I bought! Let me know when you are going to try it, maybe I'll open it on the same day.

When I realized that they do not take a water filter, I gave up on it.
I guess I will have to think of all those things if I ever move to town. They probably don't have the best water. We have a well now and it gets filtered before it even comes out of the tap.

Morning: Gevalia french roast with 3TB Folgers vanilla cappuccino

Afternoon: Gevalia french roast drank black

7pm will be: Gevalia french roast with 2TB Folgers vanilla cappuccino, while cuddling with my Demi-kins. :cloud9:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have a Keurig 2.0. I originally received it to test for 6 weeks and then they let me keep it. I also have an original Keurig in the shed. As a rule, k-cups are more expensive; depending on what you want, the price can be steep. I usually buy my k-cups through Keurig and am a member of their coffee club, so I do save a little bit. I drink my coffee hot and black; Rick likes flavored coffee with flavored creamers and only iced.

I throw the used coffee grounds from our k-cups into my compost bowl in the fridge. Since we have single-stream recycling, I can throw the used k-cup into my recycling bin. If you have regular recycling, they're not recyclable. I don't know why.

We just ordered coffee from Bones Coffee. I was intrigued after seeing it on FB and checking reviews. 24 k-cups was a little over $30, including shipping. World's Freshest Small Batch Coffee - Bones Coffee Company Like I said, Rick is huge fan of flavored coffee and he was intrigued with some of the flavors.

We have been thinking about this coffee maker: Ninja Hot & Cold Brewed System™ with Thermal Carafe | Coffee Maker/

I can't justify the price. And Rick would have a royal fit. But it would get us away from using k-cups.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a Keurig 2.0. I originally received it to test for 6 weeks and then they let me keep it. I also have an original Keurig in the shed. As a rule, k-cups are more expensive; depending on what you want, the price can be steep. I usually buy my k-cups through Keurig and am a member of their coffee club, so I do save a little bit. I drink my coffee hot and black; Rick likes flavored coffee with flavored creamers and only iced.

I throw the used coffee grounds from our k-cups into my compost bowl in the fridge. Since we have single-stream recycling, I can throw the used k-cup into my recycling bin. If you have regular recycling, they're not recyclable. I don't know why.

We just ordered coffee from Bones Coffee. I was intrigued after seeing it on FB and checking reviews. 24 k-cups was a little over $30, including shipping. World's Freshest Small Batch Coffee - Bones Coffee Company Like I said, Rick is huge fan of flavored coffee and he was intrigued with some of the flavors.

We have been thinking about this coffee maker: Ninja Hot & Cold Brewed System™ with Thermal Carafe | Coffee Maker/

I can't justify the price. And Rick would have a royal fit. But it would get us away from using k-cups.
You don't use the reusable cup? I think mine came with one but I can't remember. I may have bought it online. I have a Bunn coffee maker. I love that thing. It's unique because it has a water tank that always has hot water ready to go. You can shut the tank off if you're going away and can turn it back on when you return. It takes about 15 minutes to heat up if you do. When you are making coffee, you pour the water in as usual. It pulls the same amount of hot water out of the tank and what it uses to make the coffee. The water you added replaces what was used and is heated. It is faster than a standard drip coffee maker because of this. This is the one I have. Love it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FFRZ26/?tag=thecatsite

I got mine at Kohl's though. It was on sale and I had the 30% off code that they do monthly if you have a Kohl's card.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the brand of Espresso I bought! Let me know when you are going to try it, maybe I'll open it on the same day.

I guess I will have to think of all those things if I ever move to town. They probably don't have the best water. We have a well now and it gets filtered before it even comes out of the tap.

Morning: Gevalia french roast with 3TB Folgers vanilla cappuccino

Afternoon: Gevalia french roast drank black

7pm will be: Gevalia french roast with 2TB Folgers vanilla cappuccino, while cuddling with my Demi-kins. :cloud9:
Ok. I am going to make some in a few. I'm about to go to break. You convinced me. :lol:

ETA: I just made some. It's pretty good. A nice dark roast. I filled up my travel mug and am working on it now. With half & half as per usual.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am intrigued! And they appear to have a few flavors in decaf, but it doesn't look like they're fair trade or rainforest alliance certified? That's something I look for when buying bagged coffee, which is why I normally get the O Organics brand, because they are and also not too expensive.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There's another one, too. Grounds and Hounds. I haven't tried them yet. Grounds & Hounds Coffee Co. Store
"At Grounds & Hounds Coffee Co.®, we are committed to using the sale of our fair trade organic, specialty coffees to support the no kill rescue organizations providing safe-havens for pups between homes. 20% of all Grounds & Hounds profits are donated to our rescue partners working to make the second-chance mission a reality. "

Kat0121 Kat0121 Yes, we have the reusable cups for the Keurig. For me, it's a pain, simply because I'm a real klutz and more coffee would be on the floor than in the cup! I just like to turn it on, pop a cup in it and it's ready. I run vinegar through it once a month and it seems OK. But yet....boy, that Ninja looks nice and it's gotten great reviews. We had a Bunn system when I worked in the paper plant. Boy, that thing made good coffee.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's another one, too. Grounds and Hounds. I haven't tried them yet. Grounds & Hounds Coffee Co. Store
"At Grounds & Hounds Coffee Co.®, we are committed to using the sale of our fair trade organic, specialty coffees to support the no kill rescue organizations providing safe-havens for pups between homes. 20% of all Grounds & Hounds profits are donated to our rescue partners working to make the second-chance mission a reality. "

Kat0121 Kat0121 Yes, we have the reusable cups for the Keurig. For me, it's a pain, simply because I'm a real klutz and more coffee would be on the floor than in the cup! I just like to turn it on, pop a cup in it and it's ready. I run vinegar through it once a month and it seems OK. But yet....boy, that Ninja looks nice and it's gotten great reviews. We had a Bunn system when I worked in the paper plant. Boy, that thing made good coffee.
I agree about the reusable cups. I used it because I didn't want to use the disposable ones but it is a pain.

Bunn is the brand used in a lot of restaurants and coffee shops. It does make a great cup of coffee. That's why I wanted one. I've worked in places that have had them and needed one in my life. I think the trick is that the water used for brewing is always hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.