Coffee & Tea Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an 8-cup Mr. Coffee which is on its last legs, and when it goes, I'm going to get one of those 5-cup kinds, in black. No more of it always looking dirty. I never make 8 cups; usually 4, which is 2 mugsful. That's all I can drink.
That's the one I have. It's a good little coffeemaker. It went up in price since I bought mine in October. It's $16.99 now. I also got the permanent filter for it because I hate dealing with paper ones. www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-5-Cup-Coffeemaker-DCM600B/dp/B001NXC5YC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521505417&sr=8-3&keywords=5+cup+black+and+decker+coffee+maker

This is the filter I got for it. It works great too. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067N2T2G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also got the permanent filter for it because I hate dealing with paper ones.
What?! Those are a thing?! Well gosh, now I feel bad for using paper for the past few years in my 4 cup Mr Coffee. I'm thinking about upgrading to an 8 cup soon, so maybe I'll grab a permanent filter for it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been ordering my flavored ground coffee, Rain Forrest Nut, from Keurig/Green Mountain coffee for the last ten years. It is a light roast, smooth coffee with a very subtle nutty flavor. I use a Keurig machine with reusable filter cups. They make great coffee without the disposable waste and the used grounds go into my garden.

I am heading to New Orleans tomorrow and can’t wait for a coffee from the Cafe Dumond. It is a chicory coffee mix that is rich and strong and so delicious.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am heading to New Orleans tomorrow and can’t wait for a coffee from the Cafe Dumond. It is a chicory coffee mix that is rich and strong and so delicious.
Ah, Cafe Dumond, I was there many moons ago when I attended a week long conference for work and loved it. Have a beignet for me while you're there. :thumbsup:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What?! Those are a thing?! Well gosh, now I feel bad for using paper for the past few years in my 4 cup Mr Coffee. I'm thinking about upgrading to an 8 cup soon, so maybe I'll grab a permanent filter for it.
I use permanent filters in all my coffeemakers. The paper ones are not cheap and I often ran out because I forgot to buy them. I also find them messy. The permanent ones are not expensive. 1 permanent filter costs about the same as a pack of paper ones and it lasts a long time.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the one I have. It's a good little coffeemaker. It went up in price since I bought mine in October. It's $16.99 now. I also got the permanent filter for it because I hate dealing with paper ones. www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-5-Cup-Coffeemaker-DCM600B/dp/B001NXC5YC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521505417&sr=8-3&keywords=5+cup+black+and+decker+coffee+maker

This is the filter I got for it. It works great too. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067N2T2G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That one is perfect and won't break the bank. I had no idea there were permanent filters.

But FYI the used paper ones and the grounds are great for the compost pile. The paper decomposes, and the grounds add tilth to the compost. There used to be a rumor that Starbucks would give their grounds to gardeners, but I ''ve never known anyone who got them.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just have to chime in on this thread.... I run a little coffee shop in LA, nothing fancy, it is actually a cafe but I just handle the coffee part of it. Anyway, I love love love coffee. I really like Bulletproof coffee with grass fed butter, cinnamon and coconut oil in it for starting the day. I have a grinder to grind it fresh myself of course and for whatever method I happened to be brewing. I always have a cold brew made in the fridge. I prefer it because it isn't has harsh on the stomach when its cold brewed. I also love french press which IS very hard on the stomach and so its ok with a meal, I love all the oils in there, so goooood. Lastly I use a Chemex for pour over when I just want a regular old cup of coffee :)

I always look for the local brands and avoid Starbucks like the plague! lol

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love coffee!

My favorite to purchase online is Oren's Daily Roast. They have a few stores in NYC but none near my office hence ordering. Coffee is some of the best I've ever had. I'm partial to beans from South America and Ethiopia.
Oren's Daily Roast - New York City

I just tried one of the Starbucks Limited Reserves that a friend got me. She works on Starbucks store designs in Asia. She was here visiting and brought me a bag of the Sun Dried Ethiopia. OMG. Incredible.

Third is another local brewer, Gregory's which is where I get my daily office coffee. They also make a tasty macha latte that I'm getting addicted to.
Welcome | Gregorys Coffee | See Coffee Differently™

At home we brew in a Cuisinart, with gold filter. We also have a French Press if the mood hits and, a Nespresso espresso machine that we use for quick and easy lattes. The Nespresso pods are very good quality. I take mine only with milk, usually 1% but I use skim for lattes. Rarely half and half because it's just too unhealthy.

I like stronger roasts. Dislike those that are weak and insipid in taste. I don't mind Starbucks but stay away from other mass produced brands. Dunkin Donuts will never cross my path.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You sure can!

I switch to dark roast decaf from the keurig later in the day.
I found the Peet's brand dark roast decaff at Walmart this weekend! :cheerleader: The coffee section of my walmart always looks like someone ransacked it
but I'm pretty sure they haven't always carried this one because I tried quite a few brands before settling on the Green Mountain brand.

I haven't tried it yet because I keep telling myself I need to finish what I have. But I might break down and make a cup in a few minutes. I had light roast decaf this morning and it kind of felt like drinking water. Right now a nice fresh cup of coffee sound really good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I found the Peet's brand dark roast decaff at Walmart this weekend!

Oh good! I had been looking around for a box to send you some dark roast decafs to try, but I only have huge boxes right now. :paperbag:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of the grocery store brands I think I like Peet's the best. It's good freshly brewed and I am one of those people who reheat in the microwave, it's the best one I have found reheated. I tried a one cup brewer and I didn't care for the coffee so I went back to brewing a pot and then reheating. I like the dark roast but my favorite is the medium roast called Big Bang. That is just personal preference though.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a one cup brewer and I didn't care for the coffee so I went back to brewing a pot and then reheating.
You don't have to brew the whole pot do you? You mean a regular drip coffee maker? Just use less grounds and water no?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good! I had been looking around for a box to send you some dark roast decafs to try, but I only have huge boxes right now. :paperbag:
:hugs: I wish they would put out some smaller boxes to try. Our Walmart has a separate section with some 4 packs; but I've never spotted any decaff ones over there. I should look again in case it's changed. I have been buying the big boxes and sometimes 2 at a time because they will be out for weeks!
Of the grocery store brands I think I like Peet's the best. It's good freshly brewed and I am one of those people who reheat in the microwave, it's the best one I have found reheated. I tried a one cup brewer and I didn't care for the coffee so I went back to brewing a pot and then reheating. I like the dark roast but my favorite is the medium roast called Big Bang. That is just personal preference though.
I noticed the fresh aroma when the needle pierced the cup. I don't always notice that with the other brands I've tried! It was delicious! I didn't feel like I was missing anything having decaff. I tend to reheat my mug in cold weather. I usually make one large mug but I don't necessarily drink it fast.

Now I have to use up 3 kinds of coffee. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I noticed the fresh aroma when the needle pierced the cup. I don't always notice that with the other brands I've tried! It was delicious! I didn't feel like I was missing anything having decaff. I tend to reheat my mug in cold weather. I usually make one large mug but I don't necessarily drink it fast.
I agree. I thought the Peet's made a decent dark roast decaf!

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gotta have my coffee every day. I mix 4 parts dark, 1 part espresso & 1 part decaf together.

Status
Not open for further replies.