Coffee & Tea Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sitting here enjoying my Sunday morning cup of coffee. It's a dark roast vanilla bean flavor from a small roaster located in Maine.

https://www.carpediemcoffee.com/

I prefer a dark roast and if it's flavored it's even better, although I don't like any fruit or almond flavors. When we go on vacation I often check out the local coffee roasters and bring a few bags home.

For me, local coffee is better than Starbucks which is better than Dunkin Donuts.

What's your favorite cup of coffee like?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AbbysMom AbbysMom - I've been using the same coffee for more than forty years - Café Aroma:

I make it in a regular Mister Coffee-style drip coffee maker, and buy it 96 bricks at a time, direct from the roasters - Pan American, in New Jersey. It's kept in the deep (sub-zero) freezer, re-ground on Turkish when it's opened, and stored in the refrigerator for use.

The taste and quality never vary; there's never a surprise at that first sip - and you can actually taste it, unlike that weak, watery stuff from Starbucks or doughnut shops. It has great aroma - their trademark - very little oiliness, and it's never even the least bit bitter. Best part of all? It carries the Moo Shu Snowshoe Seal Of Approval!

mooshucoffee.jpg

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say I have a favorite as long as it's Arabica; we don't stick to any particular brand. I generally add vanilla flavoring to my afternoon cup of coffee.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
AbbysMom AbbysMom You have no idea how much my eyes lit up when I saw your thread, Coffee Talk. I also love a dark roast, the darker the better but no flavors. I drink mine straight up and black.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine You peeked my curiosity, I will have to look into the Cafe Aroma brand. I hear you about Starbucks but if I'm out and there's no local shop around it's ten times better than Dunkin Donuts, (talk about watered down coffee).

I also love an Espresso, Americano, Latte, and a good Cappuccino. I buy Allegro Extra Dark French Roast coffee beans and grind them fresh every day for the best quality. Since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, (I don't have a Moo Shu Snowshoe:wink:), I use the Melitta one cup pour-over-method.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cut out caffeine for probably close to 10 months a while back (including tea and hot chocolate). Then DH bought me a new coffee maker and now I'm back on it. But I only do half-caff or decaff for coffee. I like dark roasts; but you can't get that when you remove the caffeine. I buy the Green Mountain brand pods and International Delight creamer.

I've never had coffee from starbucks but since I won't pay that much for a cup of coffee; Dunkin suits me fine but it's more bitter than what I make at home. But the best coffee to buy comes from the gas station here. They make amazing subs too. I used to run there on my lunch break. The price of their coffee is cheaper than Dunkin. Coffee shops and things never do well around here. They can't compete with the gas station! :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my regular daily coffee I change it up every so often. Right now I am using Peet's coffee, a medium roast called Big Bang. For lattes I have a Nespresso machine and I use their darker roast espresso for those.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care for dark roast - too bitter for me! I'm a medium roast girl with milk and sugar.

I have a coffee press and I buy whatever fair trade or rainforest alliance coffee is on sale and sounds interesting. I just picked up this one the other day.
20180318_212009.jpg

It's pretty good. I had a maple bacon flavored one I enjoyed as well.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Ah ... my favorite topic . What a nice idea - 'Coffee Talk ' ! :spew:
I like medium roast decaf. It's smoother with less acid. Sometimes I mix in some "real" Columbian if I feel like it .
Peet's is good. So is Kroger store brand. I get some good deals on coffee when it's marked down 50% do to overstock .
Sweetened with a spoon of vanilla ice cream or hazelnut half&half is very nice ... ☕

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My current fave is from an indie roaster in Pa. Green Dragon Roasters. I love their Dragon's Breath. It's a great medium roast. DRAGONS BREATH

and the Red Catuai MAUI RED CATUAI

I love Peet's too but I prefer the Major Dickason's blend over the Big Bang. I get it through Amazon subscribe and save

www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAY3PBG/ref=sns_myd_detail_page?th=1

I also like the Tim Horton's coffee which I also get through S&S.

www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y1L0BS/ref=sns_myd_detail_page

I use half & half in my coffee and no sugar.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely delightful thread!

I am in love with Sumatra region coffee, it is like I have found "my" coffee that defines me. They are described as earthy and herbal, which I love. Low acidity. My description of the Sumatras I love would green, earthy and tobacco-y. That is what I find in them, personally. I only discovered Sumatra coffees four years ago and really now do not enjoy any other coffee as much as I do Sumatras. :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a Keurig person. Why? Simply because I'm really the only one who really drinks coffee every day and I only drink one mug a day. It doesn't make sense to make a full pot of coffee for just me and I refuse to drink leftover coffee. Rick will drink coffee on the weekends, but it has to be really sweet and really creamy and ice cold. :barfgreen: So the Keurig it is.

I love Timothy's Italian Roast coffee. Rick loves anything sweet and creamy, so we buy our own k-cups and let it go at that. I like my coffee really hot and black. No sugar, no cream, no flavorings. Rick uses Donut Shoppe Sweet & Creamy, when we can find the k-cups (I usually buy online from Keurig).

Lately, because I'm trying to cut back on caffeine, I've been drinking Half Caff in k-cups. Took me a while to get used to it, but it's OK now. I'll switch between Timothy's and Half Caff.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy the German coffee at Aldi's, Columbian or Dark Roast. We also have the one cup Keurig and I generally but a variety box for that. The half-caff. comes in that. I like just enough evaporated milk in my cup to turn the color, not much. About a month ago, I tried the coffee at McDonalds, flavored with whipped cream stuff in the top, whatever that is called. It was awful because I don't want anything sweet in my coffee. I passed in on to hubby and went back for a real cup of coffee.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a Keurig person. Why? Simply because I'm really the only one who really drinks coffee every day and I only drink one mug a day. It doesn't make sense to make a full pot of coffee for just me and I refuse to drink leftover coffee. Rick will drink coffee on the weekends, but it has to be really sweet and really creamy and ice cold. :barfgreen: So the Keurig it is.

I love Timothy's Italian Roast coffee. Rick loves anything sweet and creamy, so we buy our own k-cups and let it go at that. I like my coffee really hot and black. No sugar, no cream, no flavorings. Rick uses Donut Shoppe Sweet & Creamy, when we can find the k-cups (I usually buy online from Keurig).

Lately, because I'm trying to cut back on caffeine, I've been drinking Half Caff in k-cups. Took me a while to get used to it, but it's OK now. I'll switch between Timothy's and Half Caff.
I have a 5 cup Black & Decker that's my weekday machine. It was $15 on Amazon. I make just enough to fill my travel mug. It's pretty awesome. Whenever I do have leftover coffee though, it goes in the fridge for iced coffee which we Floridians drink year round. YUM

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's partly why DH got me the single cup brewer. He uses one of the refillable pod with Folgers. I have my pods. I usually make one large mug a day. He alternates between hot in the winter and cold in the summer. If I want iced coffee I go buy it at dunkin.
You sure can!

I switch to dark roast decaf from the keurig later in the day.
Oh I've never seen those in the store! I tried several brands before deciding on which one I liked. I'm going to have to look at some of the other local stores or see if I can find small boxes or even sample sizes on the internet!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not picky. My coffee just needs to have caffeine, and a lot of it. Four cups in the morning, sometimes with some espresso powder popped in for good measure, and then a few more cups throughout the day. I buy whatever light roast is cheapest (because light has more caffeine), and I also have cheap instant coffee on hand (one jar in my office desk, and one at home) for when I'm in a rush. Gotta have that yummy bean juice NOW! :hearthrob:

Side note, we were going over spray dried dairy powders in class today and the prof brought up the instant coffee drying and agglomeration/instantising process. Best notes I took all day.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 cup Black & Decker that's my weekday machine. It was $15 on Amazon. I make just enough to fill my travel mug. It's pretty awesome. Whenever I do have leftover coffee though, it goes in the fridge for iced coffee which we Floridians drink year round. YUM
I have an 8-cup Mr. Coffee which is on its last legs, and when it goes, I'm going to get one of those 5-cup kinds, in black. No more of it always looking dirty. I never make 8 cups; usually 4, which is 2 mugsful. That's all I can drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.