Coffee & Tea Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you guys ever tried coffee with Chicory in it? I was wondering if it was worth trying. My friend says it's gross, so I don't want to waste money. It sounds interesting though.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you guys ever tried coffee with Chicory in it? I was wondering if it was worth trying. My friend says it's gross, so I don't want to waste money. It sounds interesting though.
I think I tried it once, a hundred years ago.. at least I think so..
It is bitter tasting..

Chicory, Chicory Root, and Inulin are all the same. They are used in a ton of 'low fat', diet, bars teas, and stuff as a filler or a flavor enhancer.

I cannot have any of it. It does not agree with my tummy---gassy, bloated, very uncomfortable feelings... I was also told to stay away from them, by my GI Doc.

People down south, New Orleans, swear by it. I think it is an acquired taste, and tolerance.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have. I tried the Cafe Du Monde coffee. You can buy it on Amazon. It's OK. It didn't taste much different to me. I've never had it at the cafe in New Orleans though. Allegedly, it's better there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E5JIU/?tag=thecatsite

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are used in a ton of 'low fat', diet, bars teas, and stuff as a filler
Yeah, my friend lives in New Orleans. She said they add the chicory as a filler to make the coffee cheaper, and she hates it. Doesn't sound very good.

I tried the Cafe Du Monde coffee. You can buy it on Amazon. It's OK. It didn't taste much different to me.
Thanks. Doesn't sound very exciting then. I'll probably stick with my Espresso.

Same as yesterday. 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup International Delight Irish Creme creamer, 2Tsp Nescafe dark roast instant coffee, microwaved all together for 2 minutes 10 seconds.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have tried it once and didn't care for it. I think people from New Orleans probably like it because it was what they grew up with. It actually started in France when Napoleon was causing trouble and a blockade caused a shortage of coffee. They started mixing chicory with coffee to stretch the coffee that they had. New Orleans roots are French so it became a thing in New Orleans. It is also still widely used in France.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have. I tried the Cafe Du Monde coffee. You can buy it on Amazon. It's OK. It didn't taste much different to me. I've never had it at the cafe in New Orleans though. Allegedly, it's better there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E5JIU/?tag=thecatsite
I was as Café du Monde once, but not sure if I had the coffee. I feel like I did, but remember the beignets better! If I ever get back to New Orleans, I'll definitely have to make sure I have some.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago before I was teaching I attended a conference in New Orleans for one week. My co-workers and I all had our favorite places we wanted to visit. Being a coffee lover I wanted to go to Cafe Du Monde for a cafe au lait. It's made with part brewed coffee and chicory. I honestly can't say I remember anything good or bad but if I was disappointed I'm sure I would have remembered it. What I do remember is being completely turned off by a popular menu item - turtle soup! 😱

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes. The Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans serves a wonderful chicory and coffee blend that is strong and delicious. Especially with a Beignet (sort of a powdered sugar donut) or two to go with it. When I am in town I visit the cafe every morning.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Replaced half the water with Almond Coconut Milk and I have to say it's much more interesting and flavorful. 👍
Water, Almond Breeze Almond Coconut Milk, International Delight Irish Creme Creamer, 2TSP Nescafe dark roast instant coffee. Microwaved for 2 minutes 10 seconds.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2Tsp Nescafe Dark Roast instant coffee, 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup International Delight Irish Creme Creamer.
It's almost gone! Then I can get back to Vanilla and Pumpkin Spice.

I bought some Taster's Choice French Roast Instant Coffee. Man, that stuff is expensive! I'm curious to see if it's worth it. The glass bottle it came in is really fancy. I will open it when the Nescafe is gone.
1638370118779.png

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I stopped at Dunkin for a bagel and a cup of the Holiday Brew, light with almond milk...
The Holiday Brew was much much stronger than what is in the K-cup.. and this Dunkin just cannot understand that Almond milk is not the same as cream... They only put in one tiny splash of almond milk!! Good thing I was on my way home.. I added my own...

The Holiday Brew was good.. the bagel---yuck...

I did try the cranberry orange muffin--- not bad.. I enjoyed it.. that was last week...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished up the International Delight Irish Creme Creamer in a cup of warm Almond Breeze Almond Coconut Milk with 2Tsp Nescafe Dark Roast instant coffee.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with a creepy dense fog rolling around the car ports and heavily tree planted areas on the edges of it👻👻
After living with my mother, that doesn't even scare me. Bears & Pit Bulls don't even scare me anymore. I either got brave or went numb, not sure which. :devilish:

I tried out the Maxwell House Vanilla Caramel Cappuccino. I forgot that I usually like my cappuccino made with at least half milk. So it tasted kinda thin in just water. I'm out of practice 'cause I gave up my sugary drinks for several months. That was torture!
Also added 2Tsp Nescafe dark roast instant coffee. Oh, it says Latte, not Cappuccino. Pretty similar though:
1638460397348.png

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning I stopped at Dunkin for a bagel and a cup of the Holiday Brew, light with almond milk...
The Holiday Brew was much much stronger than what is in the K-cup.. and this Dunkin just cannot understand that Almond milk is not the same as cream... They only put in one tiny splash of almond milk!! Good thing I was on my way home.. I added my own...

The Holiday Brew was good.. the bagel---yuck...

I did try the cranberry orange muffin--- not bad.. I enjoyed it.. that was last week...
I haven't tried the holiday brew. I've only been there once recently to get an Americano so I could get the free espresso drink and the free drink from points. The location down the street from me has been very inconsistent lately about having the specialty brews. :rolleyes2:

It's very easy to screw up a bagel. Lender's has been doing that for many years. DKB has bagels too and they are nowhere near as good as their bread. I've only tried the everything bagels from Dunkin. They are just OK. Dunkin has really good hash browns IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.