Cod Liver for Arthritis?

dawnangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a friend recently recommend Cod Liver Oil for my cat. She's got a bit of limp, and I know her hips are hurting her. I have no doubt that she's arthritic. Reading up on the subject, it stated that cod liver oil supplements often also has lots of Vitamin D, which can be hard to process or harmful for kitties with low kidney functions. Hope is being treated for low kidney function.  Has anyone had any experience giving cod liver oil? any recommendations for brand without Vitamin D? Or have another product they use for helping with inflammation for arthritis?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cod liver oil is usually given to humans as a laxative. I wouldn't give it to a cat. Some people use Cosequin for arthritis, and there are other threads on the site about it. If she's in a lot of pain, talk to your vet about it. Surely they can recommend something.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would avoid cod liver oil, I would rather give them Ascenta Nutra Sea Feline Omega 3  and Dasuquin. They really seemed to help my older guy with arthritis

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I would avoid cod liver oil, I would rather give them Ascenta Nutra Sea Feline Omega 3  and Dasuquin. They really seemed to help my older guy with arthritis
Along similar lines, I use Krill oil for my cats.  One squirt a day on top of their wet food.  I have had a positive experience with the Dr. Marcelo brand.

shelbyk1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the Krill Oil recommendation! My 8 year old has arthritis in her back leg. We tried Cosequin and Dasequin, she hated both of them. I added the Krill to her dry food and she loves it! Bought the NOW brand from Amazon. She is moving around much better.

3catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had some success with Cosequin for my arthritic cat. I mixed it into a small amount of wet food with added water & she never knew the difference. It truly did help her, so it's worth a try if your cat is receptive to it.