Coccidia in adult cats?

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new girl has had diarrhea off and on since I got her three weeks ago. Last Thursday, she had diarrhea with bloody mucus in it. Today I took her to the vet for a full blood panel and stool sample. Everything was fine, but they did find coccidia in her stool and prescribed Baycox for 5 days. I have questions.

1. Online it says that it's usually only kittens that show signs of coccidia and usually cats show no symptoms. My girl is 9 years old and healthy otherwise. Is it possible for an adult cat to have symptoms when infected?

2. I gave her the first dose of Baycox liquid and she foamed at the mouth a LOT. I know this is because of the taste, but I feel bad. Is there a way to give it to her so that she won't foam at the mouth and get all scared?

3. I have four other cats. How much should I worry? Do I have to throw out the litter boxes or anything?

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try using Heinz strained chicken to mask the taste of the medicine. Our veterinarian has typically used metronidazole to treat coccidia in kittens, but now there is conflicting research because it is apparently self-limiting. We used tylan on a particularly ill kitten a couple of years ago to stop the diarrhea. Its foul, too, but you can put the powder into capsules and get it down them fairly easily. Yes, your other cats can pick it up and may already have it. Unless the animal is in poor condition, it isn't a huge deal. Practice good litter box hygiene, treat what needs treating and you should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try using Heinz strained chicken to mask the taste of the medicine. Our veterinarian has typically used metronidazole to treat coccidia in kittens, but now there is conflicting research because it is apparently self-limiting. We used tylan on a particularly ill kitten a couple of years ago to stop the diarrhea. Its foul, too, but you can put the powder into capsules and get it down them fairly easily. Yes, your other cats can pick it up and may already have it. Unless the animal is in poor condition, it isn't a huge deal. Practice good litter box hygiene, treat what needs treating and you should be fine.

Thank you so much! I know Baycox isn't used in the states. I'm in Canada and it's what the vet suggested as it kills the coccidia outright rather than suppressing it. Would you happen to know why it says to wear gloves when giving it and not let your cat lick you while being treated?

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I've never heard of Baycox before, and I'm in Canada, too. Fostering, I've dealt with a lot of coccidia and while it can be pretty gross, its never really been an issue to treat unless the kitten was very tiny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I've never heard of Baycox before, and I'm in Canada, too. Fostering, I've dealt with a lot of coccidia and while it can be pretty gross, its never really been an issue to treat unless the kitten was very tiny.
Thank you! I appreciate your comments a lot. I'm just surprised she showed symptoms at all since, from what I've read, adults usually don't. I'm happy it is just that and not something more serious, though.