Coat pattern identification

slinkyavalanche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone tell me what type of coat this is (color/pattern)? It changes depending on the light, sometimes it looks white/black (silver) and sometimes it looks more red.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry , I don't have any idea as to the coat/color pattern but both cats are very beautiful ..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that's called shaded silver. But with the red, maybe she's sort of a tortie. . .not sure that's possible with shaded (I look it up and torties can come in shaded!). So I guess you'd call her shaded tortoiseshell. Or torbie. Anyway, definitely shaded! That's the white undercoat with colored tips.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's got to be a domestic long haired shaded silver tabby, 
She's got the tabby 'M' on her forehead! Now I hope someone comes on with more knowledge on the patterns and tells you for sure! No matter what, she is a beauty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slinkyavalanche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Willowy, I think you're correct. I think its "shaded silver". I don't think shes a tortie because of the definitive markings on her head and front paws. The best I can come up with now is Shaded Silver with patches (head and upper torso) and ghost markings (rear legs and lower torso). Is it possible to have patches AND ghost markings?

slinkyavalanche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, thank everyone for their compliments, I assure you that as good as she looks in pictures, her personality out does her looks everyday 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow she looks like a long haired version of Sinbad. He's also looks red sometimes. He's a Siamese mix and I was told he has Siamese coloring. Although i see that's not what everyone else is saying. :dk:

sphyngalscrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Appears to be, Silver Shaded Torbie with White OR Silver Mackerel Torbie with White according to the pictures.

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's definitely a shaded silver tabby...but I'd still agree with everyone else saying shaded silver tabby torti because of the red. It's not a deep red is it, just slight, but it's still red. If you google shade silver tabby torti, I think you'll be surprised how much the colour/pattern can vary. You should get an opinion from @GemsGem she knows about cat genetics and can maybe help you a little more :-)

slinkyavalanche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Norachan Norachan another Maine Coon named Forest! This is mine (counter part to River), he's 8 months

Thank you all, I think River is a Silver Shaded torbie with red. She's just a kitten and the red is still forming. When I first saw her, she only had a little hint on the top of her head, now it's obviously come through so I'm interested in seeing how it continues to develop (she's 7 months now so I've never seen her summer coat or full winter coat develop yet). She's a Turkish Angora so you can see the size difference with the Maine Coon and they're only a month apart age-wise.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a silver tabby with roufousing.  As far as I can tell it the cat is not a shaded silver - there should be no tabby markings on a shaded silver and she clearly has tabby. Now remember I am stating this from a shaded silver PERSIAN perspective - each breed has a slightly different name for the same color. If shaded silver, the undercoat will be snow white with the hair tipped in black.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's very handsome.

I'm not sure what breed my Forest is. I found him dumped at the side of the road, just skin and bones with his fur all matted. Some people have said that his profile looks a bit like a doll-faced Persian. What do you think @posiepurrs  ?

I know that without any papers he's just a moggy, but we love him all the same.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I think it is a silver tabby with roufousing.  As far as I can tell it the cat is not a shaded silver - there should be no tabby markings on a shaded silver and she clearly has tabby. Now remember I am stating this from a shaded silver PERSIAN perspective - each breed has a slightly different name for the same color. If shaded silver, the undercoat will be snow white with the hair tipped in black.
I agree with this. I also think it's a Black Silver Tabby Mackerel with some rufism going on.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I contacted a Turkish angora breeder friend who also happens to be a judge in the Cat Fanciers Association to ask about this color. She suggested that the cat is a silver patched tabby - a silver tabby with red.

slinkyavalanche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't mention this before but she does have a white undercoat with colored tips. When I pet her the opposite direction that her fur goes the white is under. She on my lap right now so I'll move some fur around and show you

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still to much barring to be a shaded silver. Sorry for the large photo but I thought it best so you can see what I am talking about. A shaded silver has a mantle of black (or blue in the case of blue

silver) on the back. Sort of looks like they have a dusting of black, no visible bars like in the tabby. However, this shaded silver does have a color fault. If you look at her face near her eyes there is tarnish - the coat is tipped in gold instead of black, giving it a slight reddish hue. Interesting to note in  shaded silvers they are genetically BLACK cats - it is the inhibitor gene that pushes the black color to the tip of the hair. After reading the colors that Turks come in on the CFA website I agree with my friend - you have a beautiful patched tabby.

To answer Norchans question - it is a possibility that your cat has Persian in the background. There is no such thing as 'just a moggy', every cat is special and beautiful no matter where they come from.

sashafrass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a Maine Coon named Silver who's coat looked just like this.  She was a Silver Classic Torbie, which was what she was registered as.  We used to joke that it looked like somebody spilled BBQ sauce on her head! 

This one is black and white, but you can see how the silver pattern is.  She had red patches/shading throughout, and a white undercoat.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought that I would let you all know that through PM messages between SlinyAvalanche and myself I found out the breeder of his cat. She happens to be a member of my cat club. I contacted her and asked about the pattern and color. His beautiful cat is a silver tabby with tarnishing in her coat. I learned something new through this - I did not know that Turkish Angoras can have tarnishing. Thanks for the lesson!