Coat Changing Colors

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not exactly sure where to post this... when I first found biggie on the side of the road he was just a little baby with still blue eyes and was all black except for a gray undercoat. About the same time his eyes turned color his coat became all black with a black undercoat. NOW he's about 4/5 months and his coat is turning brown with tabby markings. I've posted pics so y'all can see. I've never seen this happen before. What do you think?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay. Will do! I don't care what breed he is. I was just curious if anyone else has seen or heard of an all black cat turning tabby!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch is a tuxedo but has very faint brownish tabby markings in direct sunlight. They are barely noticeable; but they are there! I think at Biggie's age they start getting more of their adult coat. Plus they are bigger so the markings will be more noticeable just from that.

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh he is so beautiful!! What a sweet boy!!

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this was my boy Loki at that Same age.. when I got him he was all black, then this started happening, it last a couple months and he went back to all black, has been all black ever since... maybe it. has to do w hormones or growing older!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this was my boy Loki at that Same age.. when I got him he was all black, then this started happening, it last a couple months and he went back to all black, has been all black ever since... maybe it. has to do w hormones or growing older!
He does look very similar!!

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try looking up a “Fever Coat” This could definitely be the reason for his coloration changing :) mine went through the same and ended up a beautiful color

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fever coat is related to the health of the mother. Possible she had a fever from infection when giving birth or just particularly stressed.