Clumps of fur on back

elssa5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has been sleeping under the couch lately and I think got some kind of grease on her back where she can't reach.. There are two large clumps of fur at the bottom of her back not far from her tail. Is there some way to clean this, or should I just snip off the clump of fur? OTOH, she is overweight and I'm wondering if that is contributing to this new problem. Thanks very much for any advice.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just dirt or grease, use a wet washcloth and some cat-safe soap to clean her up.

You can get whatever brand of soap they have at the pet store. They might also have some sort of wet wipe, specially made for small cleanups like your situation. Check it out and see what you can find.

For small cleanups, around our house, we use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap.
Baby Unscented - Pure-Castile Liquid Soap

They sell several different kinds of soap, from peppermint to eucalyptus, but I suggest the unscented, "Baby Mild" version if you're going to use it on or around a cat. This is the kind we use to shower with every day. I have a skin condition and Dr. Bronner's is one of the only soaps that doesn't aggravate it. Like I said, we use it all around the house. They say you can even wash the dishes with it.

Just wet a clean cloth with warm water, add a dab of soap then wipe your kitty's fur. Follow up with another clean, wet cloth to get all the soap off. Even if you don't get off every last bit of soap, it won't hurt her if she licks the area. Of course, it will taste bad but it won't make her sick unless she gets a lot of it.

They do sell Dr. Bronner's at most grocery stores around here and I think that Walmart has even started to carry it.
If you can't find it or if you don't care for it, use whatever soap you think is best as long as it's cat-safe.

As I am thinking, maybe some wet wipes might just do the trick for you. Take a look and see if you can find them.
I don't know what stores are near you but I've seen different brands of "Pet Wipes" at several different stores. You should be able to find something if you look.

While you're doing the deed, give her a check to be sure she doesn't have any sores or injuries.

As always, call a vet if you have any doubts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If your cat will let you, you can try using your fingers to work through the clumps starting at the ends and gently working your way up closer to the skin. Once you clear the clumps, it probably would be a good idea to do daily brushings to keep her from accumulating new clumps. If her weight is a factor that is limiting her access to clean parts of her body - and, it probably is - the brushing should help immensely.

How is she eating/drinking/using the litter box? If she doesn't normally sleep under the couch, that could be a sign she is not feeling well and 'hides' there in order to avoid being bothered. So, if she hasn't had a check up recently, it would probably be a good idea to get a vet appointment with a full scale blood work up and urinalysis. This would be especially true if she is older. Older cats, as well as ones that are overweight, tend to develop arthritis and that could be attributing to her inability to clean herself properly. X-rays would help show if arthritis is involved, and then you could consider giving her supplements, such as Cosequin, to help with that aspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elssa5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's just dirt or grease, use a wet washcloth and some cat-safe soap to clean her up.

You can get whatever brand of soap they have at the pet store. They might also have some sort of wet wipe, specially made for small cleanups like your situation. Check it out and see what you can find.

For small cleanups, around our house, we use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap.
Baby Unscented - Pure-Castile Liquid Soap

They sell several different kinds of soap, from peppermint to eucalyptus, but I suggest the unscented, "Baby Mild" version if you're going to use it on or around a cat. This is the kind we use to shower with every day. I have a skin condition and Dr. Bronner's is one of the only soaps that doesn't aggravate it. Like I said, we use it all around the house. They say you can even wash the dishes with it.

Just wet a clean cloth with warm water, add a dab of soap then wipe your kitty's fur. Follow up with another clean, wet cloth to get all the soap off. Even if you don't get off every last bit of soap, it won't hurt her if she licks the area. Of course, it will taste bad but it won't make her sick unless she gets a lot of it.

They do sell Dr. Bronner's at most grocery stores around here and I think that Walmart has even started to carry it.
If you can't find it or if you don't care for it, use whatever soap you think is best as long as it's cat-safe.

As I am thinking, maybe some wet wipes might just do the trick for you. Take a look and see if you can find them.
I don't know what stores are near you but I've seen different brands of "Pet Wipes" at several different stores. You should be able to find something if you look.

While you're doing the deed, give her a check to be sure she doesn't have any sores or injuries.

As always, call a vet if you have any doubts.
Thanks, that soap sounds excellent! I'll look for it around here.. we have a Walmart nearby.

elssa5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If your cat will let you, you can try using your fingers to work through the clumps starting at the ends and gently working your way up closer to the skin. Once you clear the clumps, it probably would be a good idea to do daily brushings to keep her from accumulating new clumps. If her weight is a factor that is limiting her access to clean parts of her body - and, it probably is - the brushing should help immensely.

How is she eating/drinking/using the litter box? If she doesn't normally sleep under the couch, that could be a sign she is not feeling well and 'hides' there in order to avoid being bothered. So, if she hasn't had a check up recently, it would probably be a good idea to get a vet appointment with a full scale blood work up and urinalysis. This would be especially true if she is older. Older cats, as well as ones that are overweight, tend to develop arthritis and that could be attributing to her inability to clean herself properly. X-rays would help show if arthritis is involved, and then you could consider giving her supplements, such as Cosequin, to help with that aspect.
Thanks very much for your helpful reply. Well, Simone is an older cat (or at least middle aged) at about 8 years old. She seems fine otherwise besides being a little overweight (about 11-12 pounds), able to groom herself except the lower back. I do brush her every day but the brush can't seem to get out these 2 grease clumps, but maybe along with some cat shampoo it'll work fine.
I'm trying to find better food for her now.. Been giving her Purina grain-free type of food but just ordered some of their Senior type of grain-free food.. see if it helps her lose some weight hopefully: FANCY FEAST Beef Feast Classic Pate Senior 7+ Canned Cat Food, 3-oz can, case of 24 - Chewy.com

elssa5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a good type of food to give a senior kitty that will help them lose weight? Thanks again.