Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

sandracat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently adopted two kittens which now makes me a four cat household.

I've been using the non-clumping cat litter (the pink one from pets at home, 30-liter size) and I'm thinking about possibly changing. the cats now have pink paws and there's a bit of dust, although none are ever dust free.

I personally don't like the wood pellets. I've heard about the clumping cat litter but the one I tried (from Aldi) I didn't particularly like. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect from it.

I've read about 'the worlds best cat litter' (clumping) and it has fantastic reviews, but it's pricey. Although I don't mind paying extra if it's going to last and do a good job.

Having four cats now means I'm cleaning the litter trays out twice a day and a full change about every three days. I've been using less litter in each tray to try and stretch the cost out.

So, I'm after advice on the best cat litter and perhaps I should change to the clumping type?

cheers!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Smart Cat clumping grass litter, and I’m a big fan. A 20-pound bag of Smart Cat lasts six weeks for three cats. That doesn’t include the initial amount needed to fill the boxes—which was a significant upfront investment given the size and number of boxes I have. The six weeks is just adding new as the level goes down when I scoop (2x a day). I keep the depth about three inches.

I have three large boxes (16.5” x 6.5” x 22”, not covered). The 20-pound bag costs about $30, so that’s roughly $20 a month for three cats using three boxes. I never change it out completely. I scoop twice a day without fail, and sometimes more if I see someone has used the box.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have four cats as well. our oldest two are about 12-13 and two little guys are two. we always used non-clumping, and recently decided to change to clumping. we have only switched out one box so far to make sure they are cool with it, but i think it is worth the cost. We used to have to change all four littler boxes once a week, and can do the clumping one much less. they really seem much cleaner in the long run.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem with switching from a clay litter to a pellet or ground sawdust type is a cat may not like it.

Switching to clumping you should be fine though since it has a similar texture.

I only have experience with tidy cats litter since that's what is at the grocery store but have learned to avoid gimmicky litters like the lightweight one since it can leave a nasty slime everywhere.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I no longer use clumping clay since one of my babies died due to a urethra blockage. It was never definitively determined if the litter was the main reason for the blockage but it was certainly a contributing factor and my vet said I should immediately switch to non clumping for the health of my other cats. I now use pine pellet (the non clumping formula) in almost all my litter boxes except two that I keep stocked with crystal litter, as i have one girl who is picky and only likes the crystals.

I’ve become addicted to the pine because it lasts forever and doesn’t get smelly like the crystal and clay. It honestly masks the odor better than anything else I’ve tried. I am intrigued by this smart cat grass litter mentioned in a previous response. I’ve never heard of clumping grass litter. As a cattery owner with multiple litter boxes I’ll be checking that out for sure! I’ve heard good things about the litter robot system as well. Not sure what type(‘s) of litter are required for that system though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I no longer use clumping clay since one of my babies died due to a urethra blockage. It was never definitively determined if the litter was the main reason for the blockage but it was certainly a contributing factor and my vet said I should immediately switch to non clumping for the health of my other cats.
I don't see how a stray piece of litter can make it's way up the urethra and cause a blockage :dunno: The end of the urethra is kept closed by muscles. Relaxing the muscles allows a cat (or any animal or person) to pee.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal Multi Cat. Not the lightweight one or the new dustfree one. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and nine cats (and only four litter boxes). I scoop twice a day (There have been times I forgot and only did it once) and only do a total change every once in a while. People who have visited--including my mother-in-law--have commented about how surprised they were that the house does not smell like cat pee. I guess they were expecting it. A couple of people did not realize we had cats, certainly not nine of them, when they first came inside. They saw the cat tree and said, "You have a cat?" Imagine their shock when the cats started coming out to greet them!

We have not had any issues with clumping litter. I wish it did not have such a perfumy scent when it first gets poured, but I can deal with it and the cats do not mind. I had no luck with the pine litter. My cats hated it and started going outside the box. It lasted less than a day because I had to clean up several messes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Tuffysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read a piece of advice about a year ago and it has saved me so much time: Keep the level of litter at least 4 inches deep. If you do this, and are using a good clumping litter, the waste will all clump before reaching the bottom of the box. This means the box stays cleaner for a much longer time. Since doing this, I only do a complete litter change every 4 months or so. I only have 1 cat and use Fresh Step. Of course, daily scooping is a must. Does anyone else do complete changes this way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandracat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

How old are the kittens? Clumping litter should not be used until they are old enough that there's no chance they might try to eat it.

Here's some TCS article on litter that you might find helpful:

How To Choose The Right Cat Litter
Cat Litter - The Dust Settles | TheCatSite
When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter | TheCatSite
I'm not sure about the age of the kittens, but I think they're more than 4 weeks old. My other two cats, an 11-year-old and a 6-year-old. Previously we used to use non-clumping litter with a low entrance litter box for my older cats to move easily. But with kittens, I have no experience at all. I'm still looking for detailed reviews on the internet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandracat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read a piece of advice about a year ago and it has saved me so much time: Keep the level of litter at least 4 inches deep. If you do this, and are using a good clumping litter, the waste will all clump before reaching the bottom of the box. This means the box stays cleaner for a much longer time. Since doing this, I only do a complete litter change every 4 months or so. I only have 1 cat and use Fresh Step. Of course, daily scooping is a must. Does anyone else do complete changes this way?
What type of Fresh Step are you using? Crystal or something else?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Worlds Best Litter is corn based and I can tell you from experience, it does attract mice who don’t mind cat urine if it means an all day every day buffet. So, you want a non grain litter if you have ever had mice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only do a complete litter change every 4 months or so. I only have 1 cat and use Fresh Step. Of course, daily scooping is a must. Does anyone else do complete changes this way?
I only have one cat, use Arm & Hammer clumping litter, and I've only done a complete litter change one in 5 years, and that was when I saw a bug in the litter box, likely over-reacted, and dumped out all the litter, cleaned the litter box, and re-filled with all fresh litter. Other than that one time, I just remove the waste clumps, clean weekly with Petkin Litter Box Wipes, and add more litter when it gets low.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have only ever used clumping litter except for the first few weeks of adopting my kitty. The shelter required that we buy our first supply of litter and food from their store and they used non clumping. We slowly switched to arm and hammer super scoop and like it. We do a complete change every 2 months. I prefer clumping so I can monitor how much kitty is peeing, both in frequency and volume.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use clumping litter - Fresh Step, Arm & Hammer, depending on which one is available at the grocery store when I buy.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve Always used clumping one, i don’t even know how the non clumping litters work :) If cats need to use it with their few days old urine in there, isn’t it kind of gross for them?
But I’d never ever use clay litters, I’m too scared of it’s potential health impact. I like grass seed Smartcat (and it’s Petco’s version), if only it didn’t track as it does :)

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of going back to non-clumping due to :

cost
dust
"stray" little nuggets left behind no matter how often you scoop
odor

The downside to non-clumping is I can't monitor their wee wee output.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as cost, I do not find one kind to be cheaper than the other. NCL is cheaper, but has to be changed more often, so it's a wash.