Club foot in kitten

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 7 kittens early this morning. I noticed immediately that kitten number 3's left hind paw was curled in awkwardly and leg looked off. Paw is difficult to straighten, leg is difficult to bend.

I was able to get a vet appointment for monday afternoon, but I am wondering if there is anything I should be doing with the leg in the mean time? I have been trying to gently straighten the foot and bend the leg. Because this is my first experience with this I am hesitant to put any kind of brace on it until the vet has a look, but I also don't want to leave it and have the leg get worse or become irreparable while we wait to see the vet.

TIA

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't get worse in a day or two, and the vet is the best person to put a brace on it. He or she can give you the best advice. Kittens's bones are still soft, so it's quite possible it can get straightened out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you do it. Be sure the leg is warm. An IR lamp perhaps? The tendons are softer when warm. While cold tendons and tissues are stiff.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, massage the leg and foot to warm it before turning them. You’ll want to keep this up several times a day and it’s likely the limbs will correct. Once the leg is turning easily you’ll want to tape it. It’s easiest to correct while the kitten is young, but does not correct overnight.

Here are links for twisted legs:

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

Caring For A Kitten Born With A Twisted Leg

The vet cannot do anything more for the kitten than you can do. It’s a twisted tendon, likely from being crowded in the womb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Sarthur2 Sarthur2 for the links, I will start warming the affected leg before continuing to do the stretching.

Thankfully the foot seemed better this evening with less of a curl to it then when she was first born, so hopefully with doing the physio multiple times a day the foot will correct itself. Fingers crossed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lutece lutece she is doing so much better, thank for asking :) I was actually coming on to thank Sarthur2 Sarthur2 again for the information and give an update.

Her foot is flat now and no longer curls in constantly, and she is able to bend her legs herself now. I did bring her to the vet, they told me to keep doing what I was doing and if it didn't correct itself by today then we would put a splint on it. Thankfully it looks like we won't have to to that, but we will see what things are like when she actually starts walking.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear this! I’m hoping that since kitten’s tendons and bones are malleable when this young and you’ve been massaging and turning and stretching, that this kitten will be perfect soon! 😻