Clover - Pregnant, Or Worms?

kelsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone. I'm very new to this site., And I am seeking advice about my cat Clover. Clover escaped around May 5, and she's not spayed nor has she ever had shots. You can thank her idiot owner/my boyfriend for that. I'm trying to figure out if she's pregnant, or if she has worms. Her belly is very distended, and it really started showing the last few weeks. She's very sensitive when we touch it, so we just don't and we have no idea if there are kittens in there. her appetites pretty normal, but she does seem to eat a little bit more than she used to. She lays a lot in the kitchen on the tile, In the bathroom on the tile, or in the hallway corner. we took her to the bat the first time she came home, but they wouldn't do any shots until we knew for sure that she was pregnant or not. We have just been monitoring her the last for five weeks, but I noticed it's been 73 days since we first noticed she went missing, and she still hasn't had any kittens. We have a vet appointment set up tomorrow morning, but I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on the situation. Thanks in advance!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been outside at all since May 5th? If not, she's past the time for a pregnancy, or will give birth veryvery soon (if the eggs took a few days to implant, and she's a little overdue). If she goes any longer without babies, you can be sure she isn't pregnant, and you should take her in for shots and a spay appointment. At this age the chance of a reproductive disorder is very high so you want to make sure she doesn't have a festering pyometra or anything else going on in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She got out again about 3 weeks after the first incident, and stayed out for about 2 weeks that time. the first time she was gone about 4 weeks. she's very agitated if i try to pick her up, not that she was social to begin with, but she's more so annoyed the last few weeks. she was extremely affectionate the first month after she came home both times. i just lightly palpitated her stomach and i couldn't really feel anything, though i'm not sure i'd even know what i'm feeling for. we brought a new cat home the first time she got out because i didn't think she'd come back, so i know thats been stressful to her as well, but i was unsure if that'd effect a pregnancy.
i'm taking her in at 8AM for an exam, so hopefully get can figure it out. i'm just afraid it's been too long for her to be pregnant, so if maybe there's an underlying condition instead.

kelsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also, she shows no signs of diarrhea, but has been vomiting more than normal. it was a red/brown color to begin, but no sign of blood, and as of late it has been partially digested kibble. i see no pus/drainage in her bed, either. i had to look up a festering pyometra (?) as i've never heard of it. we are planning the spay/shots just as soon as we confirm/deny she is pregnant, and if she is, then shortly after weaning the kittens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have gotten pregnant the 2nd time instead. But, yes, a checkup is a good idea, you want to make sure thst there are no complications.

kelsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i feel kind of dumb now just because i assumed she got pregnant the first time haha. we took her for an exam after her first escape and they wouldn't do shots until we confirmed it, so we just assumed she was. that timeline makes more sense. thank you

kelsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update: vet said she may be pregnant, by it's very early. she's actually filled with feces. they're keeping her for an enema and deworming. which explains the vomiting.
i don't know how i didn't notice the litter. there's always a lot to scoop, but i wonder if Aiko, our other cat, is being territorial over the litter boxes? i keep two in the basement far away from each other. anyone have any ideas?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats a possibility. It wouldn't hurt to add a third litter box. The general recommendation is one per cat plus one. I get away with 2 but it's not unheard of for things to change over time. Or with her escapes and returns. One of my cats has chronic constipation thanks to her medication. When she gets backed up it takes a few days to right itself.

kelsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ill have to look into a third then. they're really no that expensive compared to the vet bill haha. she's never been constipated before, so im wondering if she got into something. i feel terrible i didn't notice until now something was off. i'm amazed how we confused constipation for pregnancy lol

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
what do you feed? You can add plain canned pumpkin to get things moving-some cats love it-some hate it. mine licks it off my finger-she loves her morning dose of pumpkin.
if your cat doesn't like it-do the swipe method=smear a glob onto the roof of her mouth-go at the mouth from the side-not the front-just lift the side lip up and press gently-they open usually=you can use a popsicle stick instead of your finger- or you can put it in her wet food and mash it up good.

only need 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or so daily. It also helps with the runs. You can use baby food squash for the same effect.

I put the canned pumpkin in a tuperware container and add water=use a fork and mash it until it's pudding like consistency then see if she will lick off finger/spoon or from a dish or add to food or smear on roof of mouth.

if you feed kibble that's probably why she's constipated-there's only 10% water in it-so try to add a wet food daily to increase fluids-which will help with pooping. if she will eat all wet food-that's even better.

The recommendation about the extra cat box helps too. Some like to have their own two boxes-one to pee and other to doodoo in.