Clove Oil

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I'm overreacting or not. Selene just licked my hand, which still smells of clove oil. I can only assume there's some oil still on it. She only gave it a few licks. Is that enough to cause harm?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you wash your hands after using the Clove Oil for whatever purposes you were using it for (before she licked it)? I know it has such a strong scent that the scent can withstand washing! If not, how long was it on your hands before she licked it, etc? We need more information really. did you try contacting your Vet just to ask this question. They will normally take calls for questions such as yours. Just in case, here is a website that is for an animal poison hot line with information about essential oils: Essential Oils and Cats | Pet Poison Helpline

Hoping she will be okay :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't wash my hands after using it, and I'd say it had been about 10-15 minutes.

I just spoke with a nurse from my vet's after-hours service. She asked me some questions about her breathing, movement, and behavior. Selene seems to be normal. It was the nurse's opinion that she'll probably be okay, especially since it was only a few licks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finding vets saying that a few licks of essential oil is no cause for concern. Selene herself is now in a playful mood. I feel so much better now. I know I would hate myself for the rest of my life if one of the cats suffered because of negligence on my part.