Cloth as Cat Litter?

AllClothesAreCatColorNow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

One of my three cats has always preferred peeing on cloth. She's even drug my laundry INTO her litter box to pee on. She's been to the vet. She has some intestinal stuff, but addressing that doesn't address the peeing on laundry. I tried several different litters to see if she just didn't like the texture of the one I was using, and she still prefers cloth. Any laundry left where she can reach it gets peed on. Sometimes pooped on. So I'm giving in on this one and just filling her litter box with rags for her to pee on. The only thing that concerns me here is how to clean them. I've been trying this out for a couple of weeks, and she's a lot happier using her litter box now that it's filled with what she wants to squat over, but the rags end up with poop stuck to them too, and I haven't figured out a good solution for getting the dried feces off before laundering.

Anybody have any suggestions?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
latex gloves to use picking the poop off then off to the laundromat with a bunch of change for those industrial sized washer and dryers :biggrin:they wash an dry fast bonus you dont have worry about any bits an stuff floating around still in your home washer then to get mixed in with your load of clothes then or maybe you can try using shredded paper/news paper etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this would be helpful, but for guinea pigs what some people use instead of bedding is a combo of fleece and towels for their cages. The urine goes right through the fleece and soaks the towel underneath, and then you can pick off the poop the fleece as recommended above. But if she's scratching around in there, this might not work.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I brought in a former feral who had never used dirt to relieve herself, so she refused to use a litter box but would use pee pads. I was able to put them in a litter box and she was happy and used it meticulously. Anything disposable is going to be so much better for your ease of cleaning.

Smash2983

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

One of my three cats has always preferred peeing on cloth. She's even drug my laundry INTO her litter box to pee on. She's been to the vet. She has some intestinal stuff, but addressing that doesn't address the peeing on laundry. I tried several different litters to see if she just didn't like the texture of the one I was using, and she still prefers cloth. Any laundry left where she can reach it gets peed on. Sometimes pooped on. So I'm giving in on this one and just filling her litter box with rags for her to pee on. The only thing that concerns me here is how to clean them. I've been trying this out for a couple of weeks, and she's a lot happier using her litter box now that it's filled with what she wants to squat over, but the rags end up with poop stuck to them too, and I haven't figured out a good solution for getting the dried feces off before laundering.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Im having same issue with my Maine Coon. I’m thinking about getting a bucket with some disinfectant/cleaner. Cutting an “X” in the lid.
I can soak the used towels in the solution and pull them through the lid. Hopefully this will soften and remove the poo and then I can was and dry and reuse the towels.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Find a local laundry that services hotels, hospitals, restaurants, etc. Find out how much a large bundle of rags cost. The rags will be made of unserviceable bedsheets, towels, uniforms and other cloth items and will be cleaned before being shredded and bundled.

You can toss the rags with poop stuck to them and wash the rest in hot water & bleach, if you so desire.