Clostridium perfringens in new kitten

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. We recently got a kitten that has clostridium perfringens. It might be because the place we got him from fed them a raw diet? Who knows. We're taking him to a vet when they are open Monday.

I'm really wondering how contagious it is to another cat? Should the kitten and our other cat be completely separated until it is treated? The kitten seems fine to be honest, but we'll see if he has diarrhea.

Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How do you know the kitten has clostridium perfringens if he hasn't already been to the Vet? That aside, any time you are introducing a new kitten (or cat for that matter) to a resident cat or cats, you should isolate the newby and do formal introductions to avoid issues and possible harm to the kitten.

As to whether or not the clostridium perfringens is contagious, from what I have read, I'm not sure if anyone is really sure Some say yes, some say no. But I've never heard of any animal or human having it and not having bad diarrhea, so that's another reason why I'm wondering how you know he has it. If he does for certain though, one good way to help with the diarrhea, if it occurs, is by adding S. Boulardi to his food. I'm not sure how much though, because I don't know the age of the kitten. Normally we say 1/2 capsule twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SibDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you know the kitten has clostridium perfringens if he hasn't already been to the Vet? That aside, any time you are introducing a new kitten (or cat for that matter) to a resident cat or cats, you should isolate the newby and do formal introductions to avoid issues and possible harm to the kitten.

As to whether or not the clostridium perfringens is contagious, from what I have read, I'm not sure if anyone is really sure Some say yes, some say no. But I've never heard of any animal or human having it and not having bad diarrhea, so that's another reason why I'm wondering how you know he has it. If he does for certain though, one good way to help with the diarrhea, if it occurs, is by adding S. Boulardi to his food. I'm not sure how much though, because I don't know the age of the kitten. Normally we say 1/2 capsule twice a day.
Thank you. The breeder tested the mother for it, and she was positive. They said the kitten is having loose stools as well. They are pretty confident he has it as well.