Closet Pooping

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What litter was he using at the shelter? I would ask and use that same litter if possible.

He needs to be confined to your own room for now, until his pooping behavior changes.

He sounds to me like he is acting out. He is pooping instead of spraying to mark his territory.

He feels insecure, which is the primary reason he needs less territory, and it needs to be just his. He does not need access to the whole house right now.

How long was he at the shelter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsnides5

Human to White Fluffy Balls Binka and Zeppelin
Young Cat
Purraise
To answer questions:

The vet did a full mark up on him a week after I got him (spend $500 bucks), and couldn't find anything wrong with him, externally or internally. The vet at the shelter also said that he never showed any health issues while there.

Gates are almost useless. We tried stacking two gates on top of each other, but the little dork learned how to jump high enough and climb the rest of the way pretty easily (only took a day).

The shelter was using 4 in 1 litter when I had him, which is why I was using it to begin with. They have to change litters a lot due to supply and donations. When I change litters, I only change two boxes at a time, to see the reaction.

Their record on him is pretty minimal. He was a stray for about 8-10 months of life. In February 2017, he and his siblings (roughly 5 other male cats that looked highly similar) were live trapped behind a coffee shop (all were named after coffee places or drinks). First couple months were rough. The shelter considered putting him down because he made no progress towards trusting humans, was scared of everything, etc. Even the volunteer who was against putting all animals down was sure that he would be on the list. This be pulled a 180, became the friendliest cat there, loved everyone, was very vocal. I asked if he had bonded to any cat (just in case), and the staff said the only thing he was bonded to was food. He didn't even try to be around his brothers or anything. He had been around dozens of other cats and nothing seemed to phase him. According to the same volunteer, he had never had an accident outside the litter box, and that included times when there were half a dozen cats out playing. (This is all the information that was given to me by the volunteer who had worked with him the most). I believe he was at the shelter up to five months (I adopted him in late June).

As for territory, I have blocked him off twice now (was the first thing I did after the initial onset of the behavior). He seemed to not care, and he seems to do fine. But it doesn't seem to matter, once her door is open for a second, he's in and done.

I'm going to try dirt tomorrow, but sadly I have low expectations on it working with him. I'm going to do what I do with territorial dogs, wipe him down with a slightly damp cloth and lay that over the poop spot. That's helped with my dogs before, but cats are a whole different ball game. I'm also going to look into meds, but given that he won't let me give him oral meds, and all three cats each from each other's bowls a lot (they graze on their own), I don't think I'm going to be able to give him those.

Also, I would like to update you on the situation. He had now gone three times in random, open places in the house, once in the middle of the upstairs living, in the middle of the downstairs den, and once in the middle of his room (the spare bedroom). Thankfully my roommate isn't home and therefore did not see these before I cleaned them up. I changed all the boxes back to the last litter that he seemed to like just in case.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why don't you commit to just keeping him in your own room only for now?

Surely he will grow comfortable in there, and use the litterbox in your room.

I see this less as an isolated litter box problem, and more of a behavioral issue based on insecurity.

You've only had him for about 6 weeks, which is not long. That's far too little time, in fact, for him to adjust to other cats and a whole new house.

I maintain he needs to live in your room for now. You need to start over. This cat has not had time to properly bond with you or adjust overall. It can be a long process - emphasis on long.

These articles may help:

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Introducing Cats To Cats

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I think you need to change your expectations that this guy is going to miraculously change without starting over. His problems seem to have nothing to do with the type of litter or dirt, but rather are emotional and behavioral.

Give him time to adjust - several months actually. He needs to feel safe. He needs to stay in your room for now.

He sounds like he will make a great pet once he feels safe and comfortable. Let him be an only cat in your room for now.

I fear if you return him because you have run out of patience that he will be euthanized.

Again, he may need months to adjust. There's nothing wrong with that.

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
I can't use my room as his quarantine as that is currently occupied by my sick kitten that I rescued (found her wondering around on her own just before adopting Caribou). She is dealing with some stomach issues and I have to limit where she can go due to diarrhea issues. She also can't stand not being near me, so I have to stay with her/sitting on the floor outside my room. She starts getting very frantic (maybe something with her past?)

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , I would LOVE to give him more time, but I don't have a choice with him. My landlord/roommate set the time line. If he doesn't stop soon, either he goes or I have to move and I can't really afford to move.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't really think this is fair to Caribou to play second fiddle to the sick kitten.

Perhaps you should turn the sick kitten over to the shelter and let them rehabilitate the kitten so you can focus on Caribou.

Kittens are fairly easy to socialize and re-home.

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 she has only been sick for two weeks (stomach issue), and she technically came first in this situation. I also don't think giving her up would help. In his time here, he's bonded with her pretty closely (maybe it's a stray thing). They play constantly and he even jumps the gate into my room to play with her during the day, even when I'm not in the room.

Normally, I spend all my time with him, trying to get the behavior stopped/adverted. If anything, the kitten has been slightly neglected due to my excessive time trying to work with him. Her stomach bug started on the fourth, which included leaky diarrhea and constant meds. She's doing a lot better and she'll probably be fine to enter the whole house by the end of this coming week. As soon as I get this issue with him taken care of, I will be working on her separation anxiety (which Caribou helps with a bunch).

I have tried isolating him to his favorite room, the spare bedroom, already. I had him isolated for 8 days in there. All he did was cry, missing the kitten. As soon as I let her in there on the 6th day, he was back to his normal self.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Then how about leaving Caribou in the room with the kitten since they get along so well, and forget about the rest of the house for now?

Since he plays with her, he would already have been exposed and become sick, which he hasn't. Plus she's on meds and getting better, so she's no longer contagious.

Perhaps if they settle in together both of their anxiety will lessen. It certainly sounds like it from your description of their issues and their relationship.

Please read the articles about introductions. Neither Caribou nor the kitten need exposure to the whole house or other pets anytime soon.

Last edited:

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
I can try that for sure, but that would involve keeping them behind a closed door, which he also is not a fan of. He likes to see out and see what's going on. Only reason I didn't do that before was because I was unsure if she was contagious or if she was going to make it (was a rough couple nights with her).

And they are definitely close! He calls to her and she'll seek him out. They play under doors when I have to close her in for feeding time (still on kitten food). Currently, they are chase a fly around my room and I'm pretty sure they are working as a team to catch it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try it for a good while. Feed them together. See if Caribou will consistently use his litter box in your room.

Surely good will come from this!

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
The pooping has now gotten worse. He refuses to use the litter box, pooping all over my carpet instead. I tried different litters, even straight dirt, and nothing has been working. I have been isolating him since the 13th and the floor pooping started the 15th. I've been able to keep up with (cleaning it up before my landlord/roommate finds/smells it), but I'm afraid that if she found out about it or smells it, she's going to force me to give him up.

Please, any ideas!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you try putting him in your own room with just the kitten as I suggested 10 days ago?

If so, how long did you try this, and what happened?

Last edited:

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
I isolated him by himself the day you suggested it, my roommate/landlord took Binka for another week just to watch her. He has been isolated for almost the entire day, except for supervised a couple hours of playtime with Binka (which he loves).

The day he was isolated, he got very upset and pissed off at me. He cried for hours, ripped up the carpet, and began pooping on the floor. He literally acting completely different. I'm scared to pet him as he gives me looks that seem like he's going to bite me. I thought maybe he just missed Binka, but he's starting to act this way when she was in the room, making me hesitate to let them play.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry, I think I mixed up names.

I meant did you try leaving your cat AND kitten together in your room to see if things improved?

I did not suggest that you isolate Caribou. I suggested that you leave him with the kitten in your room. See my post #27.

Last edited:

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
Well I originally we isolated them separate, but after 5 nights and his constant crying, I put them together whenever I was home (which was about 8-12 hours each day). He continued to cry, scratch up the carpet (which he never did before). Yesterday, he attacked Binka aggressively and I think she's scared of him now. I'm worried to put them back together.

Like I said, he's acting completely different.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like this entire situation is not working - never has.

I'm not sure what the actual problem is, but the cat Caribou is incredibly miserable living with you.

I think the blame can be shared equally by you, your landlord who is your roommate, and the cat.

There are just too many issues here that are not ever going to be resolved.

It's time to re-home Caribou. What are your options for doing so?

Do you have a local no-kill rescue?

I suggest that you NOT discuss the litter box issues when you turn him over.

Those are not the real issues, and he does not deserve to be euthanized for it.

I suspect in the right home (possibly with no other cats) he will make an excellent pet.

Let's turn the focus to where to take him now.

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
I've been in contact with the place I got him from. They will take him back without questions and can guarantee that he will not be destroyed because of these issues.

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
I plan to call first thing tomorrow morning, but it's unlikely that I can take him back before Monday.

mrsnides5

Young Cat
Purraise
I have class and work tomorrow that I can't afford to miss and the shelter closes from the weekend at 5 (which I don't get done time 5 and it's an hour drive away). However, I will call before my first class at 8 am and see if they will extent hours over the weekend for me to get him there. Otherwise, first thing Monday I can take him.