Close to the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted in the Cat Lounge an Ode to Teddy, my 12 year kitty who I fear is nearing the end. I figured I’d also post in here to see if there is anything more I can do. Here’s a recap of recent events:

I brought Teddy into the vet about 2.5 weeks ago since I’ve been noticing weight loss, but an increase in appetite for people and even the dog’s food. His back looked bony, but just stomach became rounder and firm. Initial bloodwork had elevated levels for his liver and slightly low blood sugar. Nothing was too alarming and the vet suggested repeat bloodwork in 6 weeks or an ultrasound to further explore. At first I said we’d wait, but I had this sinking feeling and called back to schedule the ultrasound. Teddy went in last Monday and they found a tumor on his liver and a mass in his lungs. His abdomen was filled with fluid that the xrays were nearly all white. Given his age and severity, we made the choice to make him comfortable with medication (Predinsolone and Lasix) to treat the fluid and inflammation and the vet said he might have a few months. Chemotherapy and/or surgery doesn’t seem to be worth putting him through since it wouldn’t change much of his prognosis.

Over the weekend he seemed to lose interest in food. I brought him in for a follow up today and he lost 2 lbs in the week since his last appointment. (Young and healthy he was 14 lbs, last week 10.8lbs, today 8.8 lbs) Vet said it could be a combo of not eating as much and some fluid loss. She gave me Cerenia for possible nausea and Mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite. I stopped and got some wet cat food hoping to get him to eat, but he didn’t touch it. (He’s been on c/d dry food for years due to urinary crystals) I’m going to get him some deli meat and fancy feast tomorrow morning... if that fails, another member mentioned KFC chicken. I’m scared to think about what happens if that fails as well.

Teddy isn’t in hiding, which is the only reassurance I have. His lungs sounded ok when the vet checked him, but I’m on the look out for labored breathing. I thought I had maybe a couple months, but I feel like it’s going to be less... way less than that. Any suggestions or ideas? Is there anything I can do? If I can’t get him to eat, when do I make the dreaded call? 😿

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Teddy being ill. I know you must be so stressed out right now. :(
I
When my cat was having problems with her appetite, I bought some lactose-free whole milk for her, to at least keep her hydrated. I would warm it up for 15 seconds before I gave it to her- she loved it. I suggest this milk because it will give Teddy some much needed calories and it won't hurt his tummy.

Will he eat the dog food? Will he eat human food?

You will know in his eyes when he doesn't want to fight anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely try the milk. I got him to eat a little chicken yesterday, but nothing today. I’m going to the grocery store tomorrow to get some deli meat, which he was eating but we ran out of today, and the fancy feast he liked as a kitten. Teddy has been purring a lot laying with me in bed. I’m worried that purr I love is expressing pain instead of happiness.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely try the milk. I got him to eat a little chicken yesterday, but nothing today. I’m going to the grocery store tomorrow to get some deli meat, which he was eating but we ran out of today, and the fancy feast he liked as a kitten. Teddy has been purring a lot laying with me in bed. I’m worried that purr I love is expressing pain instead of happiness.

Did she give him an injection to stimulate his appetite?- that is stronger than oral medication. It takes a lot to get a cat's appetite up and running, especially if he/she has not eaten much for a few days.

Did she show you how to inject fluids under his skin? That always perks a cat up.

You would be able to tell if he is in pain, he would not be lying down comfortably next to you, he would be very restless.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try to grab some delectables (lickable
Bisques and stews) and smelly fancy feast...
Also baby food- meat ones,
Ham: turkey

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been waking up all night to check on Teddy. He’s been going from the foot of my bed to the chair in my room. He’s laying down, but sort of hunched over. He’s been awake all night as far as I can tell and still hasn’t touched the food I have out for him. I’m going to call the vet when they open in a few hours and try the suggestions above for food. I think he must be in pain at this point as he’s not really sleeping and he repositions him self a few inches away from me if I pet him.

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried everything this morning, but he wouldn’t eat. He still hasn’t slept, he just stares off into the distance. I have a call into the vet to see if there is anything reasonable that they can do. If not, I fear this might be the point. It’s breaking my heart to see him decline this fast.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:( did they give him a lasix injection ? that works alot faster than lasix given orally?

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe lasix injection and an appetite stimulant like mirtazepine to get him going.... :( sorry about your baby

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Teddy’s breathing became labored in the early hours of the morning and he was so uncomfortable that he still couldn’t sleep. I brought him to the vet and there was nothing more they could do except help him peacefully cross the rainbow bridge. I held his paw and cradled his face as he finally was able to rest. Teddy put on such a brave face that it was hard to imagine how sick he truly was until his last 24 hrs. Thank you for all your suggestions, at least I know I tried my best.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You evidently gave Teddy a wonderful life for his 12 years and certainly tried to help him with his last illness. You were with him at the end which is the bravest and hardest thing to do.

Please don't beat yourself up for not being psychic enough to know if Teddy was hiding his pain or not. As lavishsqualor lavishsqualor said, cats are masters at hiding their pain. We have all been there with this very difficult issue of cat ownership.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read the news of Teddy. We'll close this thread now out of respect for your loss. We invite you to post a tribute to little Teddy if you'd like in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.