Close But Not Much Petting

AANDRWS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten about 5 months ago. She follows me everywhere I go. She has just started sleeping in the same bed as me about a week ago. She will cuddle occasionally and let me pet her. She will groom me. She talks to me. However she cuddles with my room mate. Why does she follow me around but doesn't let me cuddle with her?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats just aren't cuddlers. Cat's don't use their nose like dogs do, when it comes to hunting cats do it by air flow and pressure. Their fur is hyper sensitive as a result and some cats just don't like how it feels to have constant pressure on their fur. Or to have changes in the pressure on their fur as you pet them or move yourself. It could be that your cat is hyper sensitive more so than many cats so it is physically uncomfortable to cuddle.

It could be that she is just being a cat and going where she wants. My cats change where they sleep and who they sleep with on a regular basis. Typically they spend the summer at the other end of the house sleeping in my parents area. While during the winter they camp out in my room and I wake up surrounded by cats. Just this morning I woke up with Link completely stretched out along my side and Rocket on the cat tree. Three months from now I will probably wake up alone and those two will be fighting for foot space with my Moms cat in her room.

It could be teenage time. I know when Link was a teenager he went through a phase of wanting to be everywhere but where I expected him. He was constantly popping up in weird spots including sleeping in the guest room with whoever was crashing there that night.

That she follows you and grooms you is a good sign. Enjoy the moments that she does shower you with affection and cherish them all the more because they aren't a given.