Clomicalm

Samus99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a question about clomicalm and lingering side effects:

I have a female cat who just turned 16 and is in very good health but had a traumatic event which ended up in using Clomicalm (2.5mg/day, she weighs about 10.3lbs). Immediate side effects were severe dry mouth leading to increased thirst, straining in the litter box, and severe shedding (hand clumped in fur when petting her-I haven't seen this side effect listed anywhere).

She was on the medication for 3 months and weaned off over a week. It's been 2.5 weeks since she's been off but still seeing the side effect of slight dry mouth/increased thirst (although not as much as when she was on). She had hardly ever drank water in addition to that in her raw meat diet (60g meat w/ 1/4 cup water 2X a day) and blood test results a bit before clomicalm had everything normal (no worries on kidney levels). I always monitor water consumption so I know exactly how much she drinks everyday for the last few years and have written records. Typically 2 tbs a day here and there was normal but now it's between 4 and 8 a day, mostly overnight, this all occurred after clomicalm use.

I am wondering how long do people typically see side effects last after discontinuation. I have read in humans it can take 10 days and other articles saying after 14 days a tissue concentration reduction of 70-90% can occur in cats. Is some lingering side effects something people may have noted during their experiences?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, like people, may have different time schedules when metabolizing drugs. Because of her age, it could be slowed down. I also read that this drug caused reports of alopecia in animals by mimicking hypothyroidism. Which can also cause an increase in water consumption. In people, it takes a good month for these types of meds to start to take effect, so it could take that long for the med to leave the body too. I would give her a good month to see if there are any improvements,(it sounds like you have seen a few) and if she still has side effects, have her tested for hypothyroidism, which is treatable. I think she just needs more time, bless your heart for being such a good cat parent!