Clingy kitten

Leesyferace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

we just got a new 9week old kitten from a shelter only a couple days again so I’m aware she is settling in.
she is very clingy and constantly tries to climb us even after putting her down a few times already. Main cause is once we let her out of the laundry in the morning.
We try and grab her before she can start to pounce and cuddle her as I know she tries to communicate with our face to calm her.
Any suggestions or similar experiences, what you found worked or didn’t work to prevent her climbing up on us whilst standing and sitting on our shoulders
FYI we have tried Feliways and toys for distraction.
thank you

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s a tiny baby that has just been separated from her family, comfort and warm, and she’s looking to get that comfort from you. Especially if you leave her alone at night, she must feel terribly lonely in the laundry room, so no surprise that she’s especially clingy in the morning when she finally sees a human face.
Some shelters wouldn’t even adopt one kitten to be lone kitten, and I truly hope others will catch up as having no play buddy and no one with fur to snuggle can really create some behavioral issues, for us humans. If I were you, I’d get adopt a second kitten, preferably her sibling but not necessarily. She will find a lot of comfort in having a company and will give you guys a break
Single-Kitten Syndrome - MEOW Cat Rescue

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't try to grab her. Its highly unlikely she is looking for cuddles when in a climbing mode. At that age, they mostly only want to cuddle when tired. Instead, play with her, let her get some energy out. Then use a loud "no!" when she tries the climbing. You can also hold her in place against you for a bit to make the climbing not fun (just be gentle). That will still leave you with a clingy kitten, but that phase won't last forever and isn't so bad if the kitten isn't hurting you.

You can try putting her in your lap. That may work, especially when the kitten is tired. But the clingy kittens I've had, they can want to be near you without wanting to sit still. If you need a break and the kitten won't give you one, put her back in her safe room. You can also throw a mouse or crinkled up ball of paper, or use a laser pointer while sitting and doing something else. That will get some cats off and playing.

A second kitten isnt a bad idea, if you want one. But I don't think one is required to deal with a clingy kitten.