Clindamycin and Diarrhea

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,
My kitty is on clindamycin for a dental abscess. She is having surgery on the 18th to remove the teeth, but she was placed on clindamycin until this Monday to clear up the abscess (total 10 days). She now has diarrhea once a day. We’ve switched the food to Purina EN with rice and are using Proviable Forte. Still no improvement. Does anyone know whether it’s better to continue the antibiotics despite the diarrhea or to discontinue? Trying to get up with the vet but of course she’s out today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. First of all, check her stool - if the diarrhea is watery or has blood in it, I have read you need to stop the drug. If not, I wouldn't stop it until you can reach your vet tomorrow. However, is there anyone that is filling in for your vet that you could talk to? If it is safe to continue on with the meds, maybe the vet could prescribe something to minimize the diarrhea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s not bloody, it’s watery in the sense that all diarrhea is, like a chili consistency (sorry for the graphics). I stopped this morning and hoping to hear back. Have also contacted her mobile vet that she sees sometimes to see if she can offer any advice. I hate when you can’t get in touch. Thanks for the reply!!