Climbing Instead Of Jumping

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat Chester (male, neutered, almost 2), Seems to prefer climbing rather than jumping.
He is slim, agile, healthy, active, very playful and all the good stuff. But I was under the impression that cats tend to out grow climbing and start jumping instead.
The thing is, he can jump and very well, he does all the time when chasing his wand toy as I make it fly across the room. And he also gets to the top of my stand up freezer (one of his sleeping spots.) BUT he tends to climb up to the top of the cat tree, and half jump half claw his way up the wall to sit on the window ledge in the basement (we now have a strip of missing paint and gouges starting halfway up the wall to that window.:rolleyes3:) Even when getting up on the kitchen island, he'll only half jump and uses his hind legs to climb the rest of the way up. He can jump to the freezer but decides to climb to something that is half the height?
What's up with this? Is it normal for some cats to like climbing or not outgrow the "kitten climbing stage".

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing that it is just the way he is, if you don't see any other unusual traits about his gait or difficulties jumping when he chooses to. He might be studying/analyzing some of the places he wants to go when he half climbs them, as opposed to acting on total impulse when he is chasing his wand. If he is small for his size, that could play a factor in it as well.

Hopefully other members will come along soon with some of their firsthand experiences about cats who just sometimes would rather climb than jump!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats have their own way of doing things! And each one does things a bit differently. Although Chester is a bit unusual, he's certainly well within the range of "normal." What I would recommend is, perhaps, securely hanging a strip of carpet where he likes to climb. Your walls will thank you.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are fearless and energetic jumpers and others are much more cautious. My previous cat loved to make these huge leaps to the top of doors, my current won’t make a direct jump to a table, always using a chair as an interim step. It is just sort of an individual personality thing.

Could you add to the height of his cat tree or add a shelf further up so he can make it all the way to the window without damaging your wall?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess, though I'm not a cat, is take the easiest route. If there are steps and just want to go to bed use it if not jump. If I am playing I like to jump