Clicker training

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use clicker training and just training. I always say the same phrase every time (good boy, you are such a good boy!) Plus I train with hand signals since cats learn hand signals first.

Jackie knows:

Sit and meow for the wet food
High 5
Spin
Get on the footstool to put on/take off his harness

He is learning to lay down and is working on meowing as I carry his wet food (so I stop tripping on him!) The wet food? I stop walking, wait for the meow; then take a few more steps. So I’m not rewarding him with the good boy. His lay down he gets about half the time without prompting. I might have to pull out a clicker and a target to train him on that one.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use clicker training and just training. I always say the same phrase every time (good boy, you are such a good boy!) Plus I train with hand signals since cats learn hand signals first.
How old was Jackie when you started the clicker training?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Jackie knows:

Sit and meow for the wet food
High 5
Spin
Get on the footstool to put on/take off his harness

He is learning to lay down and is working on meowing as I carry his wet food (so I stop tripping on him!) The wet food? I stop walking, wait for the meow; then take a few more steps. So I’m not rewarding him with the good boy. His lay down he gets about half the time without prompting. I might have to pull out a clicker and a target to train him on that one.
Definitely pull out the clicker when he offers a down! You can mark it and then put a cue onto it. :)
I need to dust off my clicker, it's been awhile since I trained anything new!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old was Jackie when you started the clicker training?
I started training them to high five at 9 weeks without the clicker (to try to get the black kitten adopted.) I pulled out the clicker when he was a year old. All the tricks besides laying down and sitting while meowing he mastered by 2. I honestly have nothing new to train him….. I might have to start him on an obstacle course some day. Just to challenge his mind on rainy days.

Just train them once a day and keep it short every day. Use treats they love and praise them a ton. The clicker just trains them quicker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
danteshuman danteshuman

thank you for this. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. My 2 older cats, one who is still with us, have always been pretty well behaved and so I guess I taught them something, somewhere along the way, although never in a specific and structured way and it’s 13 years+ since they were the kitten age, so I think I’ve forgotten how I got from crazy kitten to good cat. My old girl who is still with me I believe is primarily on best behaviour because she has always been of nervous disposition, I believe if she could get the new kitten to counter surf on her behalf so she can claim ‘it wasn’t me’ she definitely would 😂

so yeah I’m not looking for a circus performer, or a obedient dog instead of a cat. I just want to help my little one learn.