Clicker Training Help?

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, sorry if it isn't!

Anyways, I recently started trying to clicker train Rayleigh, but I ran into a bit of a problem. My boy is super super food motivated, and he just completely tunes out the sound of the clicker. It's like he doesn't even hear it. Whenever he sees me get out his treats, he zeroes in on the bag, and will start begging for treats and batting at my hands to try and get at them (very gently, no claws, just kind of a 'hey i know you got food, give it to me').

After I give him one treat, he'll start nosing at the ground to see if he can find anymore, and when I use the clicker, he completely ignores the sound. Anyone have any tips on how I should proceed? Should I just continue "charging" the clicker and hope that he'll eventually learn to associate the sound with the treats? Or should I change up my approach entirely?

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're doing clicker training with a foster right now. She turns into demon when it comes to hard food and treats. It took a LOT of patience and repetition, but finally she got it. I don't have to use the clicker now.. I say 'sit. quiet.'

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't clicker trained my cat, but I did teach him to sit patiently for treats and dinner. What I did was to crouch with the treat pack where he could reach, and start opening the pack to take out the treat. I will freeze whenever he starts to try and paw at the treat bag, wait until his paws are all back on the ground, then unfreeze... rinse repeat ... until eventually no paws and he only takes the treat with his mouth, all paws on floor. I used a similar method for dinner time, ie, only lower bowl when his butt is touching the ground. it took a lot of time and many many repetitions, but now he’s good with sitting at my feet and waiting if he’s anticipating treats. I think this might be something to try before you get the clicker involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't clicker trained my cat, but I did teach him to sit patiently for treats and dinner. What I did was to crouch with the treat pack where he could reach, and start opening the pack to take out the treat. I will freeze whenever he starts to try and paw at the treat bag, wait until his paws are all back on the ground, then unfreeze... rinse repeat ... until eventually no paws and he only takes the treat with his mouth, all paws on floor. I used a similar method for dinner time, ie, only lower bowl when his butt is touching the ground. it took a lot of time and many many repetitions, but now he’s good with sitting at my feet and waiting if he’s anticipating treats. I think this might be something to try before you get the clicker involved.
Oh, that's a really great idea, thanks! I'll definitely try out that approach!