Clicker Training Experiences

satoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

Anne has given me permission to post here about this -- my name is Sarah Toy and I'm a reporter for The Wall Street Journal's health and science bureau. I'm working on an article on clicker training cats and wanted to hear about your experiences. Have you tried clicker training your cat? What was that like? Was it difficult? What have you taught your cat so far?

Please feel free to message me privately here. Or if you want, feel free to share below and I will reach out to you via private message as well.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Sarah

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine haven't been trained very well, but I have been trying a little clicker training of late. They're getting to the point that they'll reliably come when called. I often forget to carry the clicker with me, in which case I make a clicker-like noise with my mouth. They respond to both noises. The latest thing is to get them to roll over on command for belly rubs (which they both like). Sir Eats-A-Lot has it down pretty good, but Chesterfield hasn't got the hang of it just yet.

It's not difficult, aside from forgetting to keep the clicker and treats in your pocket.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do have a question...how old is "too old" to begin training? I'll look forward to seeing the article!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two cats didn't get along, and it was suggested to try clicker training. There was a book out there on the subject I got off amazon. So, I got the book the treats. It probably would have worked but I don't feel good about giving my cats tons of treats so I never really followed through with it.
I do believe cats can be easily trained, much more so than people think.