Clicker Training And Treats?

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured this would go here instead of under nutrition since it involves training, but does anyone have any recommendations of good treats to use for clicker training? The treats I use now are total garbage nutrition-wise, and while the kitty likes them, she doesn't go crazy for them or anything, so if anybody knows of an economical treat that's not super unhealthy and is easy to feed, I'm all ears.

For what it's worth, she's turned her nose up at the soft treats I've tried, but I've only tried one brand, so I don't know for sure if it was the brand or the texture that she found so off-putting.

If anyone else has any advice for clicker training their cat, I'd love to hear that too! We just started a few days ago so I'm not expecting much yet, but she seems to be a curious and clever little cat so I thought it might be fun to try.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice regarding treats. I give mine Temptations and it's only rarely.

I did try clicker training my two cats but realized in the process that I had no real goal other than to try to make them get along better. I think that goal was so abstract that it was more like I was clicking something and handing out treats randomly and made no sense. LOL. If I were trying to get them to do something specific, that would have been different and probably could have worked. So my advice is have a specific goal in mind.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure about treats. The only ones I've found that Hekitty will even look at are Temptations, and those are utter trash (hence the name "Kitty Crack"). However, this article may be of use to you:

Clicker Training For Cats

I've seen cats do amazing things with clicker training! Let me know how your girl does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure about treats. The only ones I've found that Hekitty will even look at are Temptations, and those are utter trash (hence the name "Kitty Crack"). However, this article may be of use to you:

Clicker Training For Cats

I've seen cats do amazing things with clicker training! Let me know how your girl does.
Thanks for the article. I have the Temptations treats too (assuming they're the same ones) and she does like them. If only she'd learn the sound of the clicker as quickly as she learned the sound of the Temptations pack being opened...

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice regarding treats. I give mine Temptations and it's only rarely.

I did try clicker training my two cats but realized in the process that I had no real goal other than to try to make them get along better. I think that goal was so abstract that it was more like I was clicking something and handing out treats randomly and made no sense. LOL. If I were trying to get them to do something specific, that would have been different and probably could have worked. So my advice is have a specific goal in mind.
Thanks for the advice. I've got a couple goals with the clicker. Short term, she just has to touch her nose to a guide stick (i.e. a funny shaped pen I found in a drawer). Eventually, I hope to apply that to get her moving around my apartment (i.e. follow the stick), or maybe to help her adjust to a harness (I want her to enjoy my second floor porch but I live in an apartment and can't screen it in so she'll need to be leashed out there). She's an active little cat and seems to enjoy learning new games so I'm hoping for the best!

vynm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how food motivated your cat is, but for Gus’s clicker training I either use pieces of dry food (he normally eats 90% wet food so dry is novel) or freezedried 100% meat, normally salmon or chicken. I actually buy the dog sized bags of chicken purebites and break the pieces up because it’s cheaper.

I used clicker training to get Gus to allow me to put his harness on (and it was quite the struggle) so I wish you the best of luck!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just talked last night with a friend who clicker trains her cat. She says that food is the best motivator, and that you just have to find what works through trial and error and error and error and...well. HER cat is perfectly willing to dance an Argentine Tango with a warf rat if baby swiss cheese is involved.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I use freeze-dried, 100% meat treats for Mowgli's clicker training.
That is what I use, too. I don't use a clicker, just my voice, but I use freeze dried treats and Freya loves them. she'll come running even before I tap a spot and say "up here.", if she hears the bag...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard baby food (all meat chicken or all meat beef) works great for clicker training. I would try that or tuna juice from canned tuna in water..... or in my one cat's case cream cheese... he loves cream cheese!

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies! I'll try some of these things; I know for a fact she likes tuna, and a lot of these suggestions will be easier to break into smaller pieces than kitty crack.

It's actually going well so far. She follows the guide stick and touches her nose to it even when it's not directly in front of her face, so I know she gets it. I'll try some of these things to motivate her further. Gotta keep her entertained and distracted so she doesn't realize just how many curtains there are in my apartment that she could shred!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies! I'll try some of these things; I know for a fact she likes tuna, and a lot of these suggestions will be easier to break into smaller pieces than kitty crack.

It's actually going well so far. She follows the guide stick and touches her nose to it even when it's not directly in front of her face, so I know she gets it. I'll try some of these things to motivate her further. Gotta keep her entertained and distracted so she doesn't realize just how many curtains there are in my apartment that she could shred!
We use bits of cooked, plain meat (no salt or anything fancy). We cook the meat, cut it up into pieces, portion it out and freeze some, so when we run out we just pull a bag out of the freezer to thaw. Ours like poultry and steak =)
Once they understand what a click actually means, there's really no limit to what you can teach. Ours know "dog" stuff like come, sit, etc. And it's fun!
If I were more ambitious (which I am not), I'd love to teach every single one of my dogs and cats their own separate "go to place" command, all the places different and random (couches, chairs, a table, a bed, etc.) It would be so hilarious to watch the expression on people's faces if I'd clap my hands twice, yell "PLACES, PEOPLE" and have them all go to a designated spot, LOL

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I were more ambitious (which I am not), I'd love to teach every single one of my dogs and cats their own separate "go to place" command, all the places different and random (couches, chairs, a table, a bed, etc.) It would be so hilarious to watch the expression on people's faces if I'd clap my hands twice, yell "PLACES, PEOPLE" and have them all go to a designated spot, LOL
I'd pay to watch them do, AND the expressions on everyone else's faces!

Yep, the key to it all is finding that one food!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd pay to watch them do, AND the expressions on everyone else's faces!

Yep, the key to it all is finding that one food!
It's so funny because our cats will work for food, and a few of them will work even HARDER for pettings, pick-ups and kisses, etc. Our dogs like pettings and stuff but it's not a huge motivator for them.
When we were working with one of our new dogs in agility they were nuts for the tunnel (a lot of dogs are). This dog worked for food but his pace ALWAYS increased when we sent him to the tunnel, so a really long time and smart trainer said use the tunnel as the reward for teaching new stuff.
We really worked hard to teach good weave entries and a good, fast performance and the reward for weaving (once it was learned) was either a thrown toy containing food or being sent to the tunnel.
One of our boys (cat) will be offended if you "reward with praise" and will sniff at food, then slowly eat it, but bring out that kitty wand toy and holy CRAP! =D

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat's responding well to Temptations though they're a pain and a half to break up so I'll eventually get around to trying some of the things listed here (also I'm pretty sure those things are made exclusively out of corn and crack cocaine). I tried a little cheese and she was indifferent to it.

In other news, she has taught herself fetch, and loves springy toys. Maybe I can find a use for that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's responding well to Temptations though they're a pain and a half to break up so I'll eventually get around to trying some of the things listed here (also I'm pretty sure those things are made exclusively out of corn and crack cocaine). I tried a little cheese and she was indifferent to it.

In other news, she has taught herself fetch, and loves springy toys. Maybe I can find a use for that.
If you're not completely against boredom chores (I am, so no judgment, LOL)...if temptations really make her happy, take an entire bag/box and cut/break then up in one sitting while you watch TV or bring up a you tube documentary or whatever. It's tedious as heck but TV/whatever can make the time pass and you'll have a bag or two of treats ready to go. I find if I have treats available and ready to roll, training goes farther than if I face each session with the chore of cutting things up.
The fetch thing is adorable. I love teaching stuff like this to cats to put a cork in the mouth of morons who say cats are fat, lazy, worthless, and un-trainable. Outwardly, I smile and say "they're just like dogs in that respect" when under my breath I usually say "Suck it, cat hater", LOL.
My cats LOVE cheese, but it took them awhile to turn onto it. We usually cut up a tiny bit (crumb size) and put it next to their food bowls as an "offering". Some ignore the cheese but love the cooked meat (I only cook it because it's less gross to handle!)
One of our girls goes so crazy nuts for cheese I have to physically lock her AWAY from our training area whenever I'm working anyone else because she's in my face, butting between me and my train-ee, doing everything she knows for a bite of cheese. Our youngest dog was totally exasperated one day while I was teaching him to use a step in harness because she kept slamming herself between us, sitting up, and making "EEEEP" noises while slamming the food out of my hand =D
If she loves springy toys, that's great IMO!!! If she finds it less than thrilling to "work" for, I find these toys are a good way to end any kind of session. I hate it when I have a dog or cat that's not toy-motivated, because even a reward of several food treats to end a session still seems like a "Cut off" and I always feel like the session is ended abruptly and they wonder if they did something wrong.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm fascinated by training dogs and WAY more fascinated with training cats. It's a weird kind of passion/obsession!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Addition:
Another option is to take a bag, several bags, or a box of these temptation treats, pour them into a sturdy ziplock bag and smash the hell out of them with a hammer.
If she's very picky about texture, this might not work, but if she just loves the flavor, a crumb is an acceptable sized treat for a cat and this would take the tedious nature out of breaking them up.
We fill Kong Blacks in the summertime for our off-season dogs, as they train/work little in the hot months and spend most of their time hanging out, and we fill them with yogurt mixed with dog cookies that we do this very thing with (ziplock + cookies + hammer = treats).
Plus, putting stuff in a ziplock and hitting it with a hammer is kind of fun xD

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to clicker train but not possible with 4 cats begging for the treat
That's what sucks...separating yourself and the current train-ee from the rest of the pack/group/whatever can be difficult.
If you have a bathroom or bedroom that isn't used often that has a door, this can be a good training room for basic stuff, cat by cat, dog by dog.
I lived in a studio apartment as a young adult and clicker training was impossible unless I took it to the road (easy with dogs, not so easy with cats).

In the face of ditching the clicker, multiple cats can learn simple things like come when called or sit, even in a group, if you have good timing and reward quick responses and ignore those who offer slow responses.