Cleaning Transdermal Medicine Buildup on Ears

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch has been using Tramadol transdermal on her ears for arthritis pain. I use a finger cot to apply it and rub well; but it still seems to be building up some on her ears. I don’t want it to interfere with absorbing each days dose.

Any tips on cleaning her ears? I alternate ears as directed so I could do one ear at a time also. I don’t need to wipe down in them but I also don’t want to drip water in her ears. I was thinking warm washcloth with plain water and seeing if I can hold it in place to loosen anything. If she’ll tolerate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use cotton rounds, maybe the same type of pad FeebysOwner FeebysOwner described above. I also use water but make sure it's warm, not hot but warm to the touch.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you wait to wipe her ear after the transdermal gel is dry?
I haven’t been wiping them and I think that’s why it’s building up. She’s never needed much attention for grooming. I’m getting it compounded at a local pharmacy so its in a click pen type dispenser and more of a cream. I was thinking of wiping the ear she’s doesn’t get it in each day.

I’m going to order the cotton pads in our grocery order this week. She does have an appointment for bloodwork this week so I can ask if the buildup is normal or maybe im just not rubbing enough. I can tell it’s working though. She’s got the big eyes again from it. 🥺:crazy:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do the same thing; alternating ears. I keep a record of which ear I give the transdermal to. I use a disposable make-up pad, dipped in warm water, rinsed out, and then wipe the ear with it. I use another pad to dry it.

When I first began using transdermal; I saw some build up on his ears. I do not think I was cleaning it as well as I could have been. I used the warm water wash, to get rid of it. You can also get some of the wax out, when drying the ear.

Good Luck!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t been wiping them and I think that’s why it’s building up. She’s never needed much attention for grooming. I’m getting it compounded at a local pharmacy so its in a click pen type dispenser and more of a cream. I was thinking of wiping the ear she’s doesn’t get it in each day.

I’m going to order the cotton pads in our grocery order this week. She does have an appointment for bloodwork this week so I can ask if the buildup is normal or maybe im just not rubbing enough. I can tell it’s working though. She’s got the big eyes again from it. 🥺:crazy:
The transdermal cream does not completely absorb into the body. Rest assured, the medicine itself is getting absorbed. But there's a lot of other ingredients that make it a transdermal application that won't get absorbed. They make it into a cream because a cream formulation will keep it in place rather than dripping inside her ear canal. They ask you to apply it in the ear so that she doesn't try to groom it off. So yes, there will be buildup that you will be responsible for cleaning (not her.) The recommendation is to alternate ears and clean the off-day ear when you dose the other. However, cats being cats usually only tolerate so much handling of their ears. It's more important to stick to the medicine schedule. You can clean the other ear whenever is convenient (including ambushing them while they nap.) I believe four hours is plenty of time for the medicine to absorb. You do want to clean the alternate ear because the build-up can be irritating. And it can interfere with absorption if the buildup prevents a new dose from coming in contact with the skin. A makeup round with warm water is sufficient. I have also used Cat Wipes because I keep them near a place where I fuss her up into belly rubbing submission. It's about this time that I can sneak in a quick pass or two with a folded wipe. It's much easier to stay on top of the cleaning than to restrain an annoyed and possibly angry cat while you grind through caked on layers with a fingernail because a wipe isn't cutting it. Yes, I speak from experience. 🤦‍♂️ 😾

Last edited:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just cleaned Twyla’s ears about an hour ago. Since she only gets transdermal meds every four or five days I usually do ear cleaning on an off day in between once I have dosed in both ears. I just use warm water on a cosmetic wipe.

When I had a cat that had to get twice daily transdermal meds I would alternate ears each time, cleaning one and medicating the other.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will say that Geoffrey is very very good about medications; ALL medications, and ear cleaning.. He is a good boy...
Glad to see someone with success. Does just sit still and let you do what's needed?

When I recently attempted to apply a transdermal gel twice a day to one of my cats. The end was pretty much a failure and I had to try an oral pill dosage instead. My cat just didn't like the ear attempt and would run off as if I was trying to poison :ohwell: him.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see someone with success. Does just sit still and let you do what's needed?

When I recently attempted to apply a transdermal gel twice a day to one of my cats. The end was pretty much a failure and I had to try an oral pill dosage instead. My cat just didn't like the ear attempt and would run off as if I was trying to poison :ohwell: him.
Yes, he pretty much does stay still. Geoffrey is not a fan of pilling or the ear stuff, but he is so good about it.

I put him in the left back corner of an upholstered chair. I block his exit with my body. I am right handed, so I turn, using my left hand to come around and gently open his mouth, for pilling. For the ears: I just block him with my body. He tries to escape, but I tell him No, No... He immediately squats down, and I just do my thing.

Geoffrey is a very good boy.

I did the same for Artie, who was a terror for all the Vets and techs. A real male cat! Geoffrey is my sensitive, frightened, little boy cat!! He does have his 'moments'...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wish all meds for cats could be given in a transdermal gel form. When Careleton was on Methimazole I had little to no problem applying it to his inner ear but pills are a completely different story. He absolutely hates pills no matter how I give it to him or try to disguise it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish all meds for cats could be given in a transdermal gel form. When Careleton was on Methimazole I had little to no problem applying it to his inner ear but pills are a completely different story. He absolutely hates pills no matter how I give it to him or try to disguise it.
I used to think this. But Betty and Krista both hated the wet willies even though I could more easily apply them. And they despised the ear cleanings to get off previous doses.

I’m so blessed that Betty will take any capsules herself as long as I twist them in Hills A/D and drop them on the carpet for her. If I put them on a plate, she would simply lick the A/D and flick the pill. The carpet forces her into a scoop and swallow. She’s such a pro at this now that I welcome any meds in pill form and run away from transdermals and liquids. It will be a very sad day around here if she ever gets sick of A/D or can no longer have it. But for now, getting her to take her meds is easier than getting her to finish her meals. 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The transdermal cream does not completely absorb into the body. Rest assured, the medicine itself is getting absorbed. But there's a lot of other ingredients that make it a transdermal application that won't get absorbed. They make it into a cream because a cream formulation will keep it in place rather than dripping inside her ear canal. They ask you to apply it in the ear so that she doesn't try to groom it off. So yes, there will be buildup that you will be responsible for cleaning (not her.) The recommendation is to alternate ears and clean the off-day ear when you dose the other. However, cats being cats usually only tolerate so much handling of their ears. It's more important to stick to the medicine schedule. You can clean the other ear whenever is convenient (including ambushing them while they nap.) I believe four hours is plenty of time for the medicine to absorb. You do want to clean the alternate ear because the build-up can be irritating. And it can interfere with absorption if the buildup prevents a new dose from coming in contact with the skin. A makeup round with warm water is sufficient. I have also used Cat Wipes because I keep them near a place where I fuss her up into belly rubbing submission. It's about this time that I can sneak in a quick pass or two with a folded wipe. It's much easier to stay on top of the cleaning than to restrain an annoyed and possibly angry cat while you grind through caked on layers with a fingernail because a wipe isn't cutting it. Yes, I speak from experience. 🤦‍♂️ 😾
Thanks! She's been really good about the transdermals. I can tell the one side bothers her more because her back leg starts twitching like she wants to scratch an itch; but that leg is a bit too weak for that and she waits to give a shake. She's a pretty good cat for handling except for meds. The pill popper and her arthritis made it doable; thank the Lord.

I've been pilling her daily for about 7 years with treats but the Tramadol is bitter and she figured out I was hiding it in pill pockets. Normally I use just soft cat treats for her regular meds but I didn't want her to start refusing those for her normal meds so we switched to transdermal like the vet originally suggested. She's always gotten good reports on her ears and teeth at the vet; so I've had to do minimal care of those in the past. Noodles was the same way. If we bring a kitten into our family again someday; I plan to spend more time handling them for care right from the beginning.

My mother's 19 year old guy eats Recovery food so we used a can of that to get Mooch eating again. I think she liked it a little too much. :lol: But she's back on her normal food just fine now. Apparently this morning she was extra hungry. I normally get up after DH goes to work and feed her then after meds. But this morning she was begging so much DH tried to give her a few dry kibbles and that didn't satisfy her so he gave her a fresh can. I was confused why the bowl had changed but was almost empty. She was having a deep snooze too. :lol:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She's been really good about the transdermals. I can tell the one side bothers her more because her back leg starts twitching like she wants to scratch an itch; but that leg is a bit too weak for that and she waits to give a shake. She's a pretty good cat for handling except for meds. The pill popper and her arthritis made it doable; thank the Lord.

I've been pilling her daily for about 7 years with treats but the Tramadol is bitter and she figured out I was hiding it in pill pockets. Normally I use just soft cat treats for her regular meds but I didn't want her to start refusing those for her normal meds so we switched to transdermal like the vet originally suggested. She's always gotten good reports on her ears and teeth at the vet; so I've had to do minimal care of those in the past. Noodles was the same way. If we bring a kitten into our family again someday; I plan to spend more time handling them for care right from the beginning.

My mother's 19 year old guy eats Recovery food so we used a can of that to get Mooch eating again. I think she liked it a little too much. :lol: But she's back on her normal food just fine now. Apparently this morning she was extra hungry. I normally get up after DH goes to work and feed her then after meds. But this morning she was begging so much DH tried to give her a few dry kibbles and that didn't satisfy her so he gave her a fresh can. I was confused why the bowl had changed but was almost empty. She was having a deep snooze too. :lol:
If she likes the recovery food as much as it sounds like Betty likes her A/D, then maybe you can repack her pills into gelatin capsules and twist them in the recovery food and place them on a textured surface (doesn't have to be carpet) like I do with Betty. It's so much easier when they eagerly take their own meds. This is the only time Betty gets A/D (and if she ever stops eating altogether.) Her meds are all encapsulated/repacked in capsules so she never has to taste any of them--which is a good thing too considering one of her pills literally tastes like 💩. It's a Gut Restore Supplement from AnimalBiome: an FMT pill, e.g. dried cat poop from healthy donor cats to rebalance her gut bacteria. I've seen her bite into one of those once. The face she made! 😾 I think she learned a lesson there though. She no longer tries to bite through any of the capsules she scoops and swallows.