Cleaning/Sterilizing a Betta Tank

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone,

One of my bettas unfortunately passed away recently. He was older and hadn't been doing well for a while. I've been thinking of using his tank for another one, but I'd like to sterilize it just in case so the new one doesn't get sick. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? I suspect I may have to toss the moss ball and sword plant, but I'd like to save the gravel if possible. I've attached a picture of the tank (ignore the cat ear headphones in the back, lol) if that helps. 40BA1C45-F426-476E-99E5-EF3864E2E512_1_105_c.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was old it probably wasn't a disease, and if you sterilize the tank you'll have to let it cycle again, which can be a pain. Personally I'd just give it a good gravel vacuuming, change half the water, rearrange the decor the way you want, and let it run empty for a week or two.

Beneficial bacteria in aquariums is important; you don't want things too sterile.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
weak bleach solution to clean all filter parts /tank etc. then risned really good and left out a day or so for any bleach to evaporate away get all new tank decorations etc. can use filter water/media/gravel from an existing tank to seed newly set up tank before adding new beta best to let it run a week or so before adding fish and test water parameters to be sure things are running smoothlyor asking for a pinch off of one of the pet stores filter sponges to seed your filter also if you had your betta a few yearsi t could have been old age it died from they dont live to long

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I suspect the poor guy was just old as I bought him in early 2020. I'll do the water change and let the tank run for at least a couple weeks before picking up another one.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I know it's been a while - have you gotten a new betta? At the time in the photo, that moss ball looked very brown. Typically marimo balls need cooler temperatures than betta prefer (as you know but for other readers, betta are tropical and need 78 - 81 or so degrees F).

You could try pothos/devils ivy - what I do to avoid any possible toxicity is I'll start several stems hydroponically for a while so the cut ends harden off and then add however many to the tank. This also provides replacement plants if one doesn't like the water conditioner or Seachem's Stability.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I know it's been a while - have you gotten a new betta? At the time in the photo, that moss ball looked very brown. Typically marimo balls need cooler temperatures than betta prefer (as you know but for other readers, betta are tropical and need 78 - 81 or so degrees F).

You could try pothos/devils ivy - what I do to avoid any possible toxicity is I'll start several stems hydroponically for a while so the cut ends harden off and then add however many to the tank. This also provides replacement plants if one doesn't like the water conditioner or Seachem's Stability.
Thanks! I will definitely keep an eye out for those plants when I next go to the pet store. I also do have a new betta, but I don't have any pictures of him just yet. I'll have to post one as soon as I get one.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I do have a new betta. His name is Pisces, and he is a very handsome boy. He's settled in quite nicely and is mostly unfazed by my kitten's interest in him.
IMG_0175.jpeg

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pretty boy! I've got an empty tank waiting for a betta but haven't found any I love yet, real limited options near me and still too chilly to risk shipping fish.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do indeed! You can't see it very well in the picture, but he's got a hollow log that's more than big enough for him to get comfortable in. He was a bit skittish at first, but he's really gotten quite friendly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, how is everyone, and how are your fish?

I have a blue betta sweetie who, it looks like, isn't going to beat the odds of a short lifespan. I can't tell for certain but I don't think he has anything specific going on, just age :fish::sniffle:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he's really gotten quite friendly.
How are things? What did you do about live plants?

I have a blue betta sweetie
He's still with us WOOHOO and his color has improved, I'm so tickled! He's a crown-tail, his body is blue and his tail and fins are orange. I'll have to admit when I saw him I thought of Denver Broncos football colors 😆

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use hydrogen peroxide to sterilize the tank.

Hydrogen peroxide has the formula: H2O2. Basically, it’s water with an extra oxygen atom attached. It’s more complicated than that but that’s the simple explanation.

The important thing is that, when hydrogen peroxide reacts with something, it breaks down into water and oxygen gas. That’s why it bubbles when it reacts. Those are oxygen bubbles.

Clean and rinse your tank in your normal way then pour in some peroxide and swish it around so that it gets into all the nooks and crannies. Let it react for several minutes then rinse, three times, with clear water before letting the tank dry completely.

Peroxide bought from the pharmacy will work but you’ll probably need to get a few bottles. You might be able to get some stronger stuff from a beauty supply shop but you’ll need to be super careful with it. Store bought peroxide has 3% concentration but the stuff used to bleach hair is 30% and it WILL damage your skin!

Regardless which kind you use, WEAR GLOVES! Safety glasses and an apron are also a good idea.

Hydrogen peroxide can disinfect most non-porous surfaces and nice thing is that, once you’re done, there will be no reside.

Last edited: